Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kill switch?

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Kill switch?

Im very paranoid about my car getting stolen, I don't know why.

Anyway, I was wondering if there's a simple way to put in a kill switch, just a toggle switch somewhere, if its on, the car will start, if its not, the car wont.

Id kind of like it to be effective against hot wiring as well, I dont know if i can just reroute the hot ignition wire to a switch somewhere.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post

Anyway, I was wondering if there's a simple way to put in a kill switch, just a toggle switch somewhere, if its on, the car will start, if its not, the car wont.

Id kind of like it to be effective against hot wiring as well, I dont know if i can just reroute the hot ignition wire to a switch somewhere.
    Sure can. Under your console is your neutral safety switch (auto). Get a volt meter or ask around to determine which wire is the "start" hot wire. Cut it and add a switch. You can then shut off the ability to fire the engine up with or without keys. Or splice a switch on the clutch switch wires. That way even with the clutch pressed to the floor it won't fire up.. Turn your switch on and push the clutch in as usual to start it. Kinda like a bypass but for sorce power only. You could hide a pressure switch (like what is used on the doors for dome lighting) under the ashtray. When the ashtray is in the car will start. Then you could just remove the ashtray and the car will not start..
    Last edited by Smittro; 03-10-2010 at 07:19 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

Your fears are not in vain

scumbags tried to take mine twice the second time was out of my garrage that is attached to my house

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Like this:

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Sure can. Under your console is your neutral safety switch (auto). Get a volt meter or ask around to determine which wire is the "start" hot wire. Cut it and add a switch. You can then shut off the ability to fire the engine up with or without keys. Or splice a switch on the clutch switch wires. That way even with the clutch pressed to the floor it won't fire up.. Turn your switch on and push the clutch in as usual to start it. Kinda like a bypass but for sorce power only. You could hide a pressure switch (like what is used on the doors for dome lighting) under the ashtray. When the ashtray is in the car will start. Then you could just remove the ashtray and the car will not start..
    Like this:

Click for full size
    +1

You can tap either wire involed in the circuit (depending on the ciruit), it doesn't have to be the "hot" wire. It acheives the same goal, which is opening the ciruit. I would do something simple and low amps like the ideas stated above, I wouldn't try switching things like the starter wire itself (for many reasons).

As far as hiding it goes, the best idea I have heard of was a friend of mine had a push button hidden underneath the carpet and he used his food to activated/deactivate it. It was up underneath the pedals, so it couldn't be touched while driving. I have heard of people who actually have put kill switches on the outside of the cars as well as underneath the hood.

I'd also keep in mind the paths a car theive takes to hot wire your car. If you place your splice in this path, it will be obvious to person who knows how to hot wire and they could simple trace it if it's run to an obvious place.
    Last edited by KMdef9; 03-10-2010 at 08:27 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    +1

You can tap either wire involed in the circuit (depending on the ciruit), it doesn't have to be the "hot" wire. It acheives the same goal, which is opening the ciruit. I would do something simple and low amps like the ideas stated above, I wouldn't try switching things like the starter wire itself (for many reasons).

As far as hiding it goes, the best idea I have heard of was a friend of mine had a push button hidden underneath the carpet and he used his food to activated/deactivate it. It was up underneath the pedals, so it couldn't be touched while driving. I have heard of people who actually have put kill switches on the outside of the cars as well as underneath the hood.

I'd also keep in mind the paths a car theive takes to hot wire your car. If you place your splice in this path, it will be obvious to person who knows how to hot wire and they could simple trace it if it's run to an obvious place.
    Right, it does'nt have to be the hot wire. But that is the correct way either way....and the wire you'll be looking for when testing with the key is turned to the run possition..
    Last edited by Smittro; 03-10-2010 at 08:37 AM.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Right, it does'nt have to be the hot wire. But that is the correct way either way....and the wire you'll be looking for when testing with the key is turned to the run possition..
    That does make it easier to identify, for sure!

I guess it all depends on how much hiding of the wires the OP wants to do. I'm not sure the path of each wire involved with starting the car, so I'd try to find the most hidden wire possible, something buried underneath multiple things, wrapped in protective insulation. Not something right where a thieve would rip off a piece of plastic and see your splicing. With that said, you can easily hide it by wrapping in some electrical tape and insulation to make it appear OEM, might throw them off. Anything worth doing is worth doing right, but that's me over analyzing things...

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

well if you take off the panel under the steering wheel, all the wires going up the column are right there....ive spliced stuff into my ignition wire before, like my radar, so itll come on when i start my car, and turn off when i kill it. but, if someone were to hotwire my car, theyd see it.

im liking the idea for the clutch switch....something so that itll think the clutch isnt pushed, when it really is.

as where as where to put it...i have no idea. im thinking a inconspicuous momentary switch somwhere,

I could put it on the end of my blinker, where the cruise button would go, lol

Black
    '98 Z28

Not sure what the Firebirds have, but for a Camaro, you could purchase another fog light switch and put it in near the real fog light switch. It would look factory and much more inconspicuous than a metal toggle switch.

Last edited by tpilews; 03-10-2010 at 08:32 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by tpilews View Post
    Not sure what the Firebirds have, but for a Camaro, you could purchase another fog light switch and put it in near the real fog light switch. It would look factory and much more inconspicuous than a metal toggle switch.

Click for full size
    As long as he does'nt have ASR that just might work..
    Last edited by Smittro; 03-10-2010 at 08:35 PM.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

that may work...only problem is i have a BASE model car, lol....both of those switches are dummies on mine...the plastic is just molded to look like a button

White
    2008 Hummer H3

that may work...only problem is i have a BASE model car, lol....both of those switches are dummies on mine...the plastic is just molded to look like a button
    Well in that case that's prolly an exellent idea.. Hell pick up an actual ASR switch they are momentary switches, could be wired up as a kill switch prolly pretty handily too.. Just hold it down to start it up..

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

true....id have to figure out how to install it though, lol...since mines fake....ill take it apart friday

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

put it in plain sight and they will never figure it out LOL
    see I would do a set of relays and make the switch power the fuel pump circiut, starter ignition circuit, and the injector circuit. LOL those poor bastards would not figure it out even if they had a week to steel the car. lol

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

ok so does anyone know where this clutch switch is? lol

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Red face

ok so does anyone know where this clutch switch is? lol
    Just a guess but prolly infront tof he peddle lever? maybe even under the car near the fork? Least try checking in those areas..

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

tell you what i do when im out fo town in a hotel. I go under the hood and pull the fuse for the fuel pump, itll turn over, and fire, but not start.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Try roasting your crow. It'll be easier to get down.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I like grilling mine with a nice brown sugar based rub

Red
    1991 Camaro with LS1/M6

Kill Switch

I got two of these and they work just fine:

http://www.killswitchcentral.com/

David in AZ

Pewter Metallic
    2000 NHRA Trans Am

How about this?

This is what I am putting in... Yeah.. little over the top but why not?! Biometric lock

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

i dont see a problem with that, lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information