Kicker 6.5 sail panel install

This is a discussion on Kicker 6.5 sail panel install within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; I just got my speakers in, i got the infinities for the door and the kickers for the sail panel ...

Black
    2001 Camaro SLP SS #4473

Kicker 6.5 sail panel install

I just got my speakers in, i got the infinities for the door and the kickers for the sail panel subs

The holes are not matching up at all on either side for the kickers... Im lost when it comes to this, do i just go drill matching holes for the new speakers? and just reuse the clips?

And the clips that came off the stock subs are not fitting, the local napa had #8 clips but was not sure if those would work

any quick help on what to do to mount these would be great... im lost when it comes to car audio..luckily i found a write up on the infinities .... any help one how to install these
    Last edited by LS1SSZ28; 01-03-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I bought my 6.5" sail panel speakers from Crutchfield and I was able to re-use the existing clips from the speakers already installed. If memory serves me right, it wasn't the easiest to get the clips on the speaker OD and have them line up with the holes in the sail panel. It took some finagling. If all else fails, drill new holes if you have to I guess.

Black
    99 Z28

Just use new self tapping screws to mount the 6.5s. I used their old R6.2 components on my sail panels.

Black
    2001 Camaro SLP SS #4473

Well figured I would update this, I ended up blowing my first set of these but they were under warranty. I found out the monsoon is putting out aprox. 30 watts to each channel... The Kickers want 150rms and due to this underpowering were damaged.

Kicker sent me a new pair of them, and also gave me a really nice deal on a DX300.2 that puts out 150rms X 2 at 2ohms, so they were perfectly powered.

I bought a little dynamat and foam for the sail panel area... fabricated some small mdf wooden spacers to help mount them and reduce any rattle.

Im still using the stock headunit, so I needed a line converter to add the amp... but the amp has tons of crossover features and bass adjustments and with my infinity speakers in the door and my jvc 4" in the hatch area... the sound system is amazing, so once I upgrade the headunit this weekend it should sound even better.

I would recomend these speakers/woofers but you need to amp them to use them
    Last edited by LS1SSZ28; 06-13-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Thread Information