Thread: kenwood 442

Black
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

kenwood 442

Just got a new kenwood mp442u or somthing close to that. Got it wired and it says protect and is blinking. I cant find anything wrong besides the fact that i have my rear seat speakers (polk audios) wired from factory 4 way to 2 way now. I dont know if maybe i have the two wires mixed up or what is goin on. The speakers worked with the monsoon deck but now this one has power but that it is no sound or nothin any input on how to solve this?

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Did you use an adaptor harness? Have you tried disconnecting the rear speakers to see if that is the problem?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Check your connections at the amp -- had a similar problem when a wire strand didn't make it into the slot and contacted the adjacent connection. Protection circuit may also be triggered by too low of an impedance on one or more channels. Parallel wiring of speakers can result in this issue.

Black
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Ok,can you two me the proper way of wiring from 4 way to 2 way

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Check out this thread: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108915

If you are talking about the stock dual voice coil speakers, I am not sure that there is a good way to wire them. If you wire from your amp to the first positive and then to the second positive (doing the same for the negative) this creates a parallel circuit and halves your impedance.

On the other hand, if you wire from your amp to your first positive, then wire from your first negative to your second positive, then return your second negative back to your amp this would be in series and doubles your impedance.

Halving your impedance can trigger the protection circuit. Doubling your impedance will reduce the volume, but it should not trigger the protection circuit. Most car audio likes to see a 4 ohm load at the speaker, although some can handle 2 ohms. I am not sure what the stock speaker ohm rating is on each of the voice coils and have seen conflicting information on this site.

Lastly, if you only run your amp to one set of terminals, you will adversly affect sound quality, but this should not trigger the protection circuit on your amp. You may simply need to upgrade to aftermarket speakers to get your system to work properly.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

I think that the monsoon rear speakers had 2 sets of inputs for the sail speaker. It was just a dual voice coil woofer. If you just use one set that should be fine but you will only get low frequencies out of the rears. If you just used one set of wires this shouldn't set off protect mode on the head unit. Make sure the ones that you don't use are taped off and not touching any metal.

Thread Information