Thread: just help...

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

just help...

Short story; T/a with monsoon system. I have 2 x10's and a 600 watt amp.
    I'm selling the 10s/box and replacing the mid bass speakers in the sail panels
    i need to know what size the sail panel speakers are/what OHMs and what brand would be best to take the 600 watt amp. I know the amp is a bit over kill but i'll just turn it down to lighten the power.

ps-anyone wanna buy my 10s?

*****edited for clearity*****
    Last edited by third_shift|studios; 08-24-2005 at 09:52 AM.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

ewwww! will these work!?!?!

kicker ssmb6.5

and they make an 8-inch version too! would that fit in the sail panels?!?! Kicker FreeAir 8"

DisCrete
    question

You have an LT1/LS1... and you run 10" subs???

why?

DisCrete
    Those side panel speakers are 6x8's or 6x9's i believe.. check on the GM site for speaker specs.. or check bestbuy's website sometimes they tell you the sizes you need.

As for your 10's

Get rid of them

Go with 12" Alpine type-R.. and a fosgate or Alpine 600-900WATT amp.

That way noone laughs at you car anymore

j/k

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

not the rear panels-the sail panels where the factory subs go. I'm trying to find out if i could fab some 8's in there? Or do i have to stick to the factory size of 6.75" I'm selling 10s all together, i don't want the weight anymore.

sorry to tell you, funny guy, but all i've had is compliments on the way they sounded-sorry i'm not into ricer/show stuff like you but i'm downsizing here-way to read the post

Black
    99 Z28

sorry discrete....

Here ya go.

The door speakers are a 5 1/4 (and I think a seperate tweet in your TA). The sail panels are a oversized 6" or 6s. It's actually about a 6 1/4, but if you're shopping, they should know what an oversized 6 is.

I remember from the old board (editorial comment) where someone cut out the sail panel a little bit bigger to hold an 8. I don't remember what brand.

Type R subs are pretty cool from what I hear, haven't ever used them.

Go and check out http://www.subthump.com for a box to replace that box you have.

Amps, JL is pretty cool. I've been out of the loop on things for a while. Best way to improve your system is always to start at the head unit. If the head unit is making crap, an amplifier will only amplify that crap. Get a good head unit first. More money on the head unit will likely go a lot further than more to an amp. (IMHO of course).

I'm sure you'll be able to fix it up to what you'll like.

Here's a small site for my old setup:

http://drmilhouse.home.comcast.net

Bad habbit- Smoking Fords

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

The front speakers in your car are 6.5", the sail panels hold either a 6" or 7" speaker and can be modified to fit an 8". Why would you want to put 8" mids back there?
    2001 SS - 430 RWHP 412 RWTQ
    6 spd, FIPK, Corsa exhaust, LS7 clutch, Dart Pro PP LS1 heads, custom 220/224 cam, Kooks LT's. Ported TB, Full suspension, C5 ZO6 brake upgrade.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

not mids, 8 inch subs or 6.5 subs [6.5's are called "mid-bass" speakers]

Black
    2000 WS-6

the question really is what do you want to accomplish for this install? if you want to loss the weight but still have some bass, i would get some decent speakers in the doors, preferably amplified, pull the other speakers out, and throw a single 10 in a fiberglass enclosure in the side cargo space in the hatch. if thats not what your looking for, then let me know what you had in mind.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by tamu130
    the question really is what do you want to accomplish for this install? if you want to loss the weight but still have some bass, i would get some decent speakers in the doors, preferably amplified, pull the other speakers out, and throw a single 10 in a fiberglass enclosure in the side cargo space in the hatch. if thats not what your looking for, then let me know what you had in mind.
    thanks, i really want to just Clean it up. I thought about the single 10 but if i put a 10 in that little space, then the amp can't be put there. I don't want the amp on the rear deck either b/c it'll interfere if actually do need to laysomething back there.

I just want a nice clean set up. I'm really thinking about sticking teh amp in the rear "hole", replacing the stock subs with Kicker SSMB6's and calling it a day-that should give me enough low end. I hardly listen to the radio anyway, and with the amp powering the mini-subs that should free up enough power to the other speakers.

Black
    2000 WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign
    thanks, i really want to just Clean it up. I thought about the single 10 but if i put a 10 in that little space, then the amp can't be put there. I don't want the amp on the rear deck either b/c it'll interfere if actually do need to laysomething back there.

I just want a nice clean set up. I'm really thinking about sticking teh amp in the rear "hole", replacing the stock subs with Kicker SSMB6's and calling it a day-that should give me enough low end. I hardly listen to the radio anyway, and with the amp powering the mini-subs that should free up enough power to the other speakers.
    i respect that. you could also put the amps on the other side where the spare tire is, but thats only assuming you dont want or dont have the spare. those speakers should be fine, but amplifying them will not give the rest of the system any extra power.

Thread Information