Fairies Drive Imports camaro_five0's Avatar

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

interior LED light mod question...

I recently put blue LEDs in my instrument cluster, but had to take them out because my tach needle didnt illuminate at night. Also, the brightness contrast was off all over the guage. Like the left side would be bright while the other side is a lot more dim. Has anyone had this problem, or does anyone know a solution? I know "Keliente" has done this mod herself, and I used her website for instructions...

Pewter
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Interior LEDs

Have you check some of the threads on LS1tech? There are some good long post on that subject for the camaro guage cluster there.

White
    1999 T/A

i bought my leds from ledgauges.com. unfortunately pontiac decided to use regular bulbs and color the back of the gauges red so now i have to either use an acid to get the red off or cut the red out of the stock gauges. shouldnt be too big of a deal since i have white face overlays anyways but still a PITA. whered u get ur led's?

Red
    99 Pontiac WS.6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by T/AKing View Post
    i bought my leds from ledgauges.com. unfortunately pontiac decided to use regular bulbs and color the back of the gauges red so now i have to either use an acid to get the red off or cut the red out of the stock gauges. shouldnt be too big of a deal since i have white face overlays anyways but still a PITA. whered u get ur led's?
    I second that !!!! I hate the fact that I cannot change my bulbs because the jerks at GM had to place that red sticker on ... WTF ...they made everything 10x harder for the TA ...
    99 WS6 Trans AM
    Hurst Shifter
    Aftermarket Throttle Body
    KN Air Filter
    Strut Tower Brace
    Z06 Rims

White
    1999 T/A

i havent done it yet but best i came up with is to get some white face overlays (which i already have) and use a sharp azz razor or suttin to very carefully cutout the mph and rpm ticks to let the blue thru. id imagine cuttin out numbers and the part that says MPH and RPM would be a bitch

Pewter
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by T/AKing View Post
    I remeber reading a write up before where somebody used an aftermarket gauge overlay from a camaro. They had blue LED lights when all finished. May want to try a search for that if interested in that idea.

Pewter
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Here's a couple of threads that detail how to use the camaro reverse indigo guage cluster. I recall that someone used acetone to remove the red transparent layer from their TA guage. Hope this helps.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436902

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340187

Red
    99 Pontiac WS.6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff2002WS6 View Post
    I remeber reading a write up before where somebody used an aftermarket gauge overlay from a camaro. They had blue LED lights when all finished. May want to try a search for that if interested in that idea.
    But doesnt the Camaro Gauges look diffrent from the Trans Am? I though there was a slight diffrence ....

Pewter
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

I personally haven't compared the Camaro guages to the TAs, but I do recall someone adding a TA bezel to make Camaro appear like the TAs. There might be some slight differences in the line up of head light indicator. InfiniteReality on LS1Tech is extremely helpful as well as JasonWWS6 on the LED mods.
    Dave1970
    SE Texas (High Island)
    2002 WS6 TA
    Strano Performance Sway Bars and Springs
    UMI Performance LCAs, PHB, Adj. TQ., drive shaft safety loop, & TA relocation bracket
    Koni SA shocks
    Textralia Clutch, T56Rebuilt Trans, Pro 5.0 shifter w/ Lou Short Stick, & McLeod adj. master cylinder

Pewter
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 99WS6MAN View Post
    But doesnt the Camaro Gauges look diffrent from the Trans Am? I though there was a slight diffrence ....
    Its been a little while since I've seen the pictures. I haven't seen one in person to tell what difference there was if any but I don't remeber noticing a difference in the pictures I saw. And +1 on the reverseglo gauges. That rings a bell as the ones to use.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

I'm having a seperate issue w/ the door lights. I put LEDs in there and can only get one side to work properly. The only sane way of removing the stock bulbs are to break them (try pulling em out, you'll know what I mean), so I made sure all the glass and stuff was removed from the contactor. At 1st, the fuse was blown (5amp) so I put a 10amp in there and now only one side works, I've tried flipping the bulb around and all that, please help!

Pewter
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

The Camaro Z28 siver reverse glow gauge set has been discontinued by the supplier to ProParts. I recently came across a 2002 Camaro SS gauge cluster. I'm planning on swapping it for my TA cluster and using the TA gauge bezel. With that done, from my research, it should be a simple matter of changing the bulbs in the cluster. Should have something by early spring. I'm not going to get much time to work on it before heading back on the road for my company around the first of the year. Chasing gremlins in the suspension and motor areas now.

Thread Information