Black
    2000 Z28

Post I'm fed up with my monsoon system!

Hello all,

Well, after a long and hard look at the threads about the Monsoon system and the few aftermarket items available that will barely work with this proprietary system, I finally came to the conclusion that I'm just going to gut it and put in my own system. So in the next few months, I'll be posting updates on what I've done to my system.

This saturday I'm ripping out the outdated cassette deck and replacing it with a sweet Pioneer deck. I've already replaced the 4" hatch speakers (which were blown) with a pair of Memphis Car Audio 4" 15-PR42.

I'll be posting pictures as I go along and I'm also going to build my own box for the driver's side rear unused hole, just like the ones you see on the internet for $120+ bucks, and if it turns out ok, I'll sell my plans and stencil for a good price.
    Camaro Z28/SS...40+ years of mustang humiliation.
    View my garage: http://www.fquick.com/Y2KBlackZ28

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

IMO you should have forgot about the hatch area speakers all together. That's money that could have been spent on getting higher quality componets elsewhere in the system.

Do you intend to use all 6 speaker locations? (doors, B-pillars and hatch area). Have you thought about how you will be powering all these speakers?
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

Black
    2000 Z28

Hey Rascal,
    Yeah, I intend on using all locations plus a 10" on the rear driver corner. They will be powered by a MCA amp, maybe 2 (probably 2).
    Are you very good with sound systems?

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by seasponge View Post
    ...few aftermarket items available that will barely work with this proprietary system...
    not sure what you mean by that -- there aren't any limitations really compared to any other system

This saturday I'm ripping out the outdated cassette deck and replacing it with a sweet Pioneer deck. I've already replaced the 4" hatch speakers (which were blown) with a pair of Memphis Car Audio 4" 15-PR42.
    since you already replaced them -- might as well keep them in service -- power these off of your HU

you will want two amps -- class D monoblocks are most common and preferred for subs

for speakers -- if you have nice components up front, a 2ch amp on those and power the sails (full range I assume) by HU and hatch by HU since you dont want the sound from the rear to be as dominant (most want either no rear fill or just enough so that you can detect that it is there)

Black
    2000 Z28

What I meant is that you're very limited to what speakers you may use with the monsoon system since they are 2ohm. For me, I just want to go from scratch, besides, having a "cassett" deck is a little outdated so I'd rather have a h/u that is flexible, looks good and sounds good, not to mention all the features like blue tooh, usb, etc, etc.

Running 2 amps is my plan anyway and yeah, a D class is what I'll get for my sub but I'm actually going with a 4ch for my doors and sails, just a little more flexibility and power dirstribution. And yeah, I'm changing my sails to full range because I'll have that nice 10" sub in the back. The rear 4" are helping fill more of the highs which is what I want.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

What I meant is that you're very limited to what speakers you may use with the monsoon system since they are 2ohm.
    That doesn't limit you (actually gives you more flexibility)....I could see what you mean if they were 8 ohm...but 2 isn't a problem.

Most all find that better quality, sensitivity, etc. of aftermarket speakers sound just as loud or louder with much more clarity.

I'm not saying don't get rid of it thought -- of course starting fresh is best.

Black
    2000 Z28

I guess more flexibility is possible but I really got fed up with a cassette deck that had cracked buttons, sound quality was ok (not great) and too much distortion.

I couldn't wait so yesterday I went out ang got my new deck; a Pioneer 7900BT. Night and day difference in sound and clarity, not to mention super flexibility! I'm very happy with that for now. Next is my sail speakers/subs which I'll replace with a pair of MCA 6.5's.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

I guess more flexibility is possible but I really got fed up with a cassette deck that had cracked buttons, sound quality was ok (not great) and too much distortion.

I couldn't wait so yesterday I went out ang got my new deck; a Pioneer 7900BT. Night and day difference in sound and clarity, not to mention super flexibility! I'm very happy with that for now. Next is my sail speakers/subs which I'll replace with a pair of MCA 6.5's.
    Oh yea -- Delco HU is a POS and the primary source of distortion in the Monsoon system. This doesn't change anything as far as flexibility though (besides the preouts you now assumingly have) -- the speakers still prefer to be of 2 ohm impedances..

Black
    2000 Z28

Well, with my new deck, I don't have to worry about the 2ohm deal, minus the factory amp which I'm sure still pushes 2ohm to the subs but I'm going to run new wire anyway because that monsoon setup is just way too weird for me to try and trace. I've looked at several wiring diagrams and they partly match. Besides, the factory wire is low quality and I'd rather run good cable.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Well, with my new deck, I don't have to worry about the 2ohm deal, minus the factory amp which I'm sure still pushes 2ohm to the subs but I'm going to run new wire anyway because that monsoon setup is just way too weird for me to try and trace. I've looked at several wiring diagrams and they partly match. Besides, the factory wire is low quality and I'd rather run good cable.
    That's what I'm saying though.... the factory deck wants to see 4 ohms as well -- you have to worry about the 2 ohm think just as much (but it really isn't a problem anyway). The factroy deck actually powers the tweeters in the Firebird Monsoon systems, and the tweeters are 4 ohms.

Not all of the Monsoon amp channels like to see 2 ohms either.

Black
    2000 Z28

I guess my understanding is that the POS HU was only powering the tweets at the fronts, the rest was up to the amp.
    I just wanted a straight forward, NORMAL sound system with none of this 2ohm here, 4ohm there, going from here to there crap.

Now with my Pioneer HU, I'm going to run all new wires, get rid of the amp and replace it with a real amp...lol.

So basically, I'm getting rid of all factory sound equipment and doing it all aftermarket

I'll be selling my factory HU and amp soon.

Monterey Maroon Metallic
    2002 Camaro Z28

please get a hu with 3 pair of preouts. front and rear and sub/non fading. run your hatch speakers off your hu.

heres a place i get all of my wiring and other goodies from www.parts-express.com very good place to deal with.

what hu are you looking at?

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Actually -- in your car, the HU does not power ANYTHING...just provides high-level signals for the Monsoon amp.

In response to the post right above me: A nicely amped pair of components up front and a sub is a good starting point for a "nice" system -- for decent, what he has done so far is fine -- take it little by little until happy.

Also...he already has the new HU.

PartsExpress is nice -- but for HUs/speakers...look at SonicElectronix.com (or BlueLagoonUSA.com sometimes) -- for wiring, KnuKonceptz.com...for carpet/misc. DIY stuff, PartsExpress......
    (I know these aren't sponsors -- but I did not directly link anything so I think I am ok -- if they are edited out, PM me)

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

As long as you have the power to drive them, amps are your friend...

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by cobrahunter View Post
    As long as you have the power to drive them, amps are your friend...

Click for full size
    lol - I think you just like posting that pic, I've seen it everywhere! (I'd do the same thing though if my install looked like that!).

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

LOL

I know. I know. And actually...I got the idea from someone else's post hella days ago from another website. But their setup only used 1 amp. So I figured, what the hell...

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by cobrahunter View Post
    LOL

I know. I know. And actually...I got the idea from someone else's post hella days ago from another website. But their setup only used 1 amp. So I figured, what the hell...
    I've never seen a custom well cover as well (made to match at least) - that's my favorite "custom" part of your setup

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Thanks

Black
    2000 Z28

Well, my Pioneer does have 3 RCA outs and I'll be using all of them. And yes, I'll be running my hatch 4" off the h/u. I WILL post pictures soon of my installs. Probably tomorrow.
    Thanks for the links by the way!
    J.

Thread Information