Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

I-Pod adaptor for '00 Monsoon system

This is a discussion on I-Pod adaptor for '00 Monsoon system within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; I been looking around for a discreet hook-up for my Ipod in my '00 TA with the Moonsoon system without ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member CobraKilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Monroe,Michigan
    Age
    37
    Posts
    91

    Silver
    2000 TA LS1 A4w/ShiftKit

    I-Pod adaptor for '00 Monsoon system

    I been looking around for a discreet hook-up for my Ipod in my '00 TA with the Moonsoon system without a CD changer. Here is a link to one I found in Crutchfield was just wondering if anyone has tried this unit or has any reviews or tips on it.

    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_581PA11...h=ipod+adaptor

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    california
    Posts
    11

    white
    2000 camaro Z28

    Iam using the ipod adapter, simple hook up and works great. The down side is that you lose the changer

  3. #3
    Junior Member CobraKilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Monroe,Michigan
    Age
    37
    Posts
    91

    Silver
    2000 TA LS1 A4w/ShiftKit

    Quote Originally Posted by lorich1 View Post
    Iam using the ipod adapter, simple hook up and works great. The down side is that you lose the changer
    I dont have a changer. It is just a single disc will it still work ?

  4. #4
    Member turbojimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    206

    Black
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

    Quote Originally Posted by CobraKilla View Post
    I dont have a changer. It is just a single disc will it still work ?
    Yes. If you have a Monsoon system it's prewired for the changer. I get conflicting information on how it hooks up. I took the adapter out of my Caddy and put it in my TA. In the Caddy, the CD changer was in the glovebox so it was easy to run the iPod cable to a convenient spot. In the TA, the changer plug was in the trunk (convertible) so the iPod cable from the adapter is only long enough to set the iPod on the floor in the back seat. I ordered an extension cable today, however, that will put the adapter behind the glovebox, and therefore allow me to put the iPod within reach.

    However, in talking to Crutchfield, they tell me that had I ordered the adapter for a TA (rather than the Caddy), it would have come with a cable to plug into the back of the Monsoon head unit. USA Spec says no, and that their Firebird/Camaro kit comes with the extension cable that I ordered today.

    Either way, the USA Spec adapters work great and are totally plug-n-play. You even use your steering wheel/head unit controls to control the iPod.

    Jim

  5. #5
    LS1 or bust b.lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    SE, Michigan
    Posts
    701

    Blue
    00 Z28 6Spd / 03 Z71 LT

    $140?

    I just got a Pioneer Premier DEH-P510UB for $170 shipped to my door

    It can hook up either 2 iPod's or 2 USB drives. Or 1 of each.
    00 Z28 M6 T-tops
    00 SS A4 T-tops (Sold)
    99 Corvette M6 (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 Coupe (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 T-tops (Sold)

  6. #6
    Member turbojimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    206

    Black
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

    Quote Originally Posted by b.lee View Post
    $140?

    I just got a Pioneer Premier DEH-P510UB for $170 shipped to my door

    It can hook up either 2 iPod's or 2 USB drives. Or 1 of each.
    Actually I paid $120. It depends on how hung up you are about keeping a stock appearance. In my Caddy, for which I originally bought the adapter, the stock head unit was tough to replace because it also provided the door chimes and OnStar integration. The adapter was a good solution. I moved it to the TA because I totaled the Caddy last week.

    Jim

  7. #7
    Member turbojimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    206

    Black
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

    Received the extension cord from USA Spec today and installed it. Turns out the ash tray hole is the perfect size for my old-school iPod. I ran the cable from the CD changer, up under the carpet with the factory wiring, and into the dash where I put the adapter. Then I ran the iPod dock cable under the console and up through the ash tray. I found a nickel, a paper clip, two business cards and a full book of forever stamps that the previous owner had lost under the console.

    Pic:


    Jim

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Oak lawn, il
    Posts
    72

    Black
    02 T/A WS6

    so you bought an adapter for the ipod to hook up to the cd changer? Actually, to take place of the cd changer?

  9. #9
    Member turbojimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    206

    Black
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

    Quote Originally Posted by Th3unwant3d1 View Post
    so you bought an adapter for the ipod to hook up to the cd changer? Actually, to take place of the cd changer?
    Yes. The changer is useless with the advent of the iPod.

    Jim

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Oak lawn, il
    Posts
    72

    Black
    02 T/A WS6

    spent 120 on it though? i mine as well get another radio...but I like the monsoon though I think my ipod will get the better of me and ill have to get another radio :P

  11. #11
    Millennium Falcon mpfranks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Akron, Oh
    Posts
    689

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    i bought the peripheral set up from best buy. $100. simple 5 min hook up to the back of the factory radio. USB connection, charges ipod, keeps use of scroll wheel, and also can seek on the factory head unit. best set up ive seen for a factory radio. similar to the one from crutchfield.

    i just ran the cable from behind the dash to under the center console, then up by my seat. clean and no modifying the interior. sorry pics are so small.





    after looking at bestbuys website, i found the set up i bought, and its $150 now. but im positive i spent $99 2 years ago. but here it is anyhow.

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1202650491628
    Last edited by mpfranks; 04-20-2009 at 10:56 AM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post
    i bought the peripheral set up from best buy. $100. simple 5 min hook up to the back of the factory radio. USB connection, charges ipod, keeps use of scroll wheel, and also can seek on the factory head unit. best set up ive seen for a factory radio. similar to the one from crutchfield.

    i just ran the cable from behind the dash to under the center console, then up by my seat. clean and no modifying the interior. sorry pics are so small.

    Click for full size

    Click for full size

    after looking at bestbuys website, i found the set up i bought, and its $150 now. but im positive i spent $99 2 years ago. but here it is anyhow.

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1202650491628
    You said that you ran it under the console, how hard was it to do that. I am having a guy from ebay install a hook up for the back of the cd head unit on my car as well. I was just curious how easy it was to snake the wire under the middle console from the back of the cd player....any pointers on how to do this?

  13. #13
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post
    i bought the peripheral set up from best buy. $100. simple 5 min hook up to the back of the factory radio. USB connection, charges ipod, keeps use of scroll wheel, and also can seek on the factory head unit. best set up ive seen for a factory radio. similar to the one from crutchfield.

    i just ran the cable from behind the dash to under the center console, then up by my seat. clean and no modifying the interior. sorry pics are so small.

    Click for full size

    Click for full size

    after looking at bestbuys website, i found the set up i bought, and its $150 now. but im positive i spent $99 2 years ago. but here it is anyhow.

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1202650491628
    How is the sound quality?

  14. #14
    Millennium Falcon mpfranks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Akron, Oh
    Posts
    689

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    You said that you ran it under the console, how hard was it to do that. I am having a guy from ebay install a hook up for the back of the cd head unit on my car as well. I was just curious how easy it was to snake the wire under the middle console from the back of the cd player....any pointers on how to do this?
    its really easy to do the entire install. you dont need anyone to do it for you. and i just tucked it under the center console from the side. its loose enough to slip the wire under it. to install the interface, you just need to remove the outer plastic cover, unbolt the radio from the front, pull it out of dash and hook up the interface. then just run the wire where ever you like. i promise its the easiest install youll ever do.

  15. #15
    Millennium Falcon mpfranks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Akron, Oh
    Posts
    689

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    How is the sound quality?
    perfect. its USB connection so the quality is as good as your speakers will allow.

  16. #16
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post
    its really easy to do the entire install. you dont need anyone to do it for you. and i just tucked it under the center console from the side. its loose enough to slip the wire under it. to install the interface, you just need to remove the outer plastic cover, unbolt the radio from the front, pull it out of dash and hook up the interface. then just run the wire where ever you like. i promise its the easiest install youll ever do.
    I understand that but how did you run the wire from the back of the radio to under the console?
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

  17. #17
    Millennium Falcon mpfranks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Akron, Oh
    Posts
    689

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    you can reach your hand up behind the dash, and then you can get your fingers under the console. the dash and the console are connected. its hard to explain, but if you look at it you can see how it would work. promise its not confusing.

  18. #18
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post
    you can reach your hand up behind the dash, and then you can get your fingers under the console. the dash and the console are connected. its hard to explain, but if you look at it you can see how it would work. promise its not confusing.
    I know that there is a huge hole behind the middle console and that is connected to the dash. But don't you have to run a wire from the back of the radio to under the middle console, i didn't think there was a way to get the wire to go from directly behind the radio to the middle console is there?

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Oak lawn, il
    Posts
    72

    Black
    02 T/A WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post
    i bought the peripheral set up from best buy. $100. simple 5 min hook up to the back of the factory radio. USB connection, charges ipod, keeps use of scroll wheel, and also can seek on the factory head unit. best set up ive seen for a factory radio. similar to the one from crutchfield.


    after looking at bestbuys website, i found the set up i bought, and its $150 now. but im positive i spent $99 2 years ago. but here it is anyhow.

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1202650491628
    Thats what happens when Circuit City fails....

  20. #20
    Millennium Falcon mpfranks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Akron, Oh
    Posts
    689

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    I know that there is a huge hole behind the middle console and that is connected to the dash. But don't you have to run a wire from the back of the radio to under the middle console, i didn't think there was a way to get the wire to go from directly behind the radio to the middle console is there?
    look at this picture. (its not my car, but you get the idea) see the huge opening behind the heater controls? well you can reach the back of the radio up there. so you put the wire down through there. then you can run it up under the center console.



    if youre still confused, maybe you should just have that guy from ebay install it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Monsoon System
    By DARK PHX in forum Stereo and Electronics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-14-2010, 12:58 PM
  2. monsoon system
    By venom98 in forum Stereo and Electronics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-16-2007, 03:07 PM
  3. non monsoon headunit in monsoon system....
    By ivan1 in forum Stereo and Electronics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-04-2007, 07:34 AM
  4. monsoon system help
    By mpc99 in forum Stereo and Electronics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-12-2006, 03:01 AM
  5. Help With Monsoon System!!!!
    By cableguy0956 in forum Stereo and Electronics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-01-2006, 10:57 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •