Red
    2001 Trans Am

How to solder wires?

I have the eurolights sealed beam conversion kit for my Trans Am and want to solder the wires instead of just electrical tape or something. My question is, can I just solder the wires together straight up? or do I need something in between them. Yes I am a total noob so go easy on me

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Soldering is pretty simple -- I highly recommend using shrink tube to seal the joint. Start by stripping each wire end, usually 1/2" to 3/4" is more than enough for a strong connection. Cut your shrink tube (available at Radio Shack, auto parts stores, etc...) so that it extends about 1/2" more than the length of your stripped wire end. This will give you about a 1/4" overlap on each end of your joint.

Slip the shrink tube over one of your wires. With your fingers, open up the strands a bit on each of the wire ends. Dip the ends into your soldering flux and then insert the wire ends into each other such that they overlap. Twist the wire to interlock the strands and roll it tightly between your fingers. Another method is to bend each wire end into a hook and then link them together, pressing the wire strands down to lock the hook. I prefer the first method as it makes for a smoother union.

With the shrink tube slid far enough back from the union so that the heat does not affect it, heat your joint with a soldering gun (or iron, or pinpoint torch). The flux will melt and you will get a little smoke -- try not to breathe it in. Make sure you evenly heat the entire joint and not just one side, otherwise you will end up with a cold soldered joint that will most likely fail.

As you heat the joint, just touch your solder to the wire to see if it melts. If not, continue heating until it does. Once the solder begind to melt, press it into the joint and it should flow out and cover the entire union. The most difficult thing is to not overheat your joint as this will begin to melt the wire insulation.

Once the solder has flowed out, remove the heat and allow it to cool. Inspect the connection to ensure that the solder has smoothly flowed into the wires. Slide your shrink tube evenly over the joint and then use a match, lighter, or the pinpoint torch to apply heat to shrink it. Be careful not to apply too much heat as it will melt and holes can form. If this happens, you will need to either tape the joint, or cut it apart and start over with a new piece of shrink tube.

Red
    2001 Trans Am

thanks dude that sounds good

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

use rosin core soldier for automotive purposes

Silver
    1998 Corvette

It just takes practice1

Thread Information