Results 1 to 9 of 9

How to replace the alternator?

This is a discussion on How to replace the alternator? within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; well guys mines shot so im putting a new one on tomorrow. the car is a 2000 ls1 camaro. i ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Jax
    Posts
    16

    How to replace the alternator?

    well guys mines shot so im putting a new one on tomorrow. the car is a 2000 ls1 camaro. i searched but couldnt find a good writeup at all....any clue how to do this? i know its probably simple but count me clueless....thanks!!!

  2. #2
    My Neighbors Hate Me!!! lvbroham1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ft. Lee, Virginia
    Posts
    374

    Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

    It's not too bad if you have a jack and some simple tools it can be done in about an hour. Here's some advise in advance... Disconnect your battery. Lol!
    Here's a step by step:
    1. as said before disconnect the battery
    2. remove all electrical connectors to the alternator
    3. take off drive belt
    4. Remove the two Alternator mounting bolts
    5. If it's an A4, you need to move the tranny cooler lines
    6. Do it all backwards
    7. Start it up and watch your volts
    8. If everythings good grab a case of beer and enjoy Lol!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Jax
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by lvbroham1 View Post
    It's not too bad if you have a jack and some simple tools it can be done in about an hour. Here's some advise in advance... Disconnect your battery. Lol!
    Here's a step by step:
    1. as said before disconnect the battery
    2. remove all electrical connectors to the alternator
    3. take off drive belt
    4. Remove the two Alternator mounting bolts
    5. If it's an A4, you need to move the tranny cooler lines
    6. Do it all backwards
    7. Start it up and watch your volts
    8. If everythings good grab a case of beer and enjoy Lol!
    What are electrical connectors to the alternator? as in battery cables? thanks man!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Danger731's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    6,712
    There are two long bolts you need to get to from the front, on the rear is a smaller bolt that needs an extension and a swivel to get to. Remove these 3 bolts, lower it slightly and have a small flat blade screw driver handy to unclip the alternator electrical clip. Also you need to remove the large battery cable off the alternator. I cut the small wires going to my alternator and spliced in another 14 inches of wire so the next time it would be easier. I've replaced my alternator 5 times. There are 3 bolts not 2 as mentioned above.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red

    2009 CTS4 Ice Black

    2013 1500 Silverado Z71

    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Jax
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    There are two long bolts you need to get to from the front, on the rear is a smaller bolt that needs an extension and a swivel to get to. Remove these 3 bolts, lower it slightly and have a small flat blade screw driver handy to unclip the alternator electrical clip. Also you need to remove the large battery cable off the alternator. I cut the small wires going to my alternator and spliced in another 14 inches of wire so the next time it would be easier. I've replaced my alternator 5 times. There are 3 bolts not 2 as mentioned above.
    So if i understand this: All i need to do is jack the car up, unplug the battery, the try and get the alternator belt off? then get the 2 bolts which are on the front of the alternator, then get the bolt on the back, the undo the clip?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Danger731's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    6,712
    yep put a ratchet on the belt tensioner turn clockwise and the belt pops off, after the clip loosen the bolt holding the large wire to the alternator as well.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Jax
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    yep put a ratchet on the belt tensioner turn clockwise and the belt pops off, after the clip loosen the bolt holding the large wire to the alternator as well.
    Well this is probably my dumbest question all day, but the alternator belt is the one running on the alternator? haha wow its late. then there will be a clip right by the belt?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Danger731's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    6,712
    nope clip is on top of the alternator, you can't see it until removed and lowered.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Jax
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    nope clip is on top of the alternator, you can't see it until removed and lowered.
    guys im almost there! but for the life of me i cant get that one back bolt outI know its a 13mm and ive tried everything but that sucker wont move and i cant even reach it right! any thoughts????

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: What else can i replace
    By izzhemp in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 02:07 PM
  2. How to replace TPS?
    By Firebird Phoenix in forum V6
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-01-2009, 08:58 AM
  3. Question: Replace PCV?
    By kool-aide in forum General Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-10-2008, 03:08 PM
  4. What else should I replace?
    By Roastem in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-12-2008, 11:59 AM
  5. what all do i need to replace?
    By FastAssZ in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-27-2006, 05:21 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •