Silver
    2002 Z/28

How to mount my amp???

What is the best way to mount my amp without putting too many holes in my car?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I put a board under the carpet behind the back seat and had my 3-amps screwed into the board into a rack mounted there. No holes at all, other than in the carpet. Then I made a cover so you couldn't see it looking through the back window.

You could also mount is where the CD-changer would normally be at, opposite side of the spare tire. Make a mounting board and bolt/screw it to the chassis.

You could also use velcro instead of screwing down.

Guess it also depends on your size of amp...

Silver
    2002 Z/28

Its too big for where the cd changer would be so I think im going with the board thing... Does it slide around a lot like that?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Mine never slid, but I also screwed the board into the chassis and then screwed the amps into the board, through the carpet. You have to be careful though, the gas tank is under there! I used screws just long enough to catch.

Here was my set-up. The top portion pulls right off. I made it from three pieces of wood, stapled/glued together and then I just covered/wrapped it in carpet from Menards. Notice how I took the cover all the way to each side, which helped it from moving around as well.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Click for full size
    ^^ That looks awesome!

For myself, I have always favored the hidden method of installing audio components. Keeps the car looking stock and does not take up what little cargo space that there is. It is just nice to be able to travel or go to shows and have everything tucked into the back well and out of sight.

Not sure how big your amp is, or what your intentions are, but if you are considering a hidden install, start by pulling the rear trim panels and study the space a bit. Move your amp around from place to place and consider your options. Remember not to mount it upside down and allow for air flow to keep it cool.

I wish I had pictures of my last install to post. Back of an Eagle Talon, raised the floor by just under 4" and built a fan cooled amp rack. Two amps, power distribution block, and an Audio Control EQQ. All totally hidden from view under the stock rear carpet.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yeah Jeff. I am in agreement about keeping things hidden. I usually go that route on installs I have helped with and some other systems I had in other vehicles. I didn't really have the room to do that in the case of the 96 though lol. Thanks for the compliment! I made a template for the top cover out of cardboard before cutting it.

I think I spent about 2-3 hours making it, and about $8-$12 in supplies lol.

Local shop wanted $200 to do something similar.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Yeah Jeff. I am in agreement about keeping things hidden. I usually go that route on installs I have helped with and some other systems I had in other vehicles. I didn't really have the room to do that in the case of the 96 though lol. Thanks for the compliment! I made a template for the top cover out of cardboard before cutting it.

I think I spent about 2-3 hours making it, and about $8-$12 in supplies lol.

Local shop wanted $200 to do something similar.

Nothing like doing it yourself and saving a pile of money in the process. You do damn nice work.

Thread Information