Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Join the PHK @ thephk.org Sommer86@6LE's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Lightbulb How to install the "Simple iphone car kit" *PICS*

Hey guys, I got the idea from a friend to install the "Simple ipod interface for factory radio" adapter kit into my car. I got the adapter kit and did a little write up with pictures to show you the ease of the install of it.

(FYI - The box says it's for Camaro's '97-'02, but on-line in the fine print it says that the H/U needs to be '00-'02. My car is an '01)

It's easy!!

It works with ipods AND iphones. When you plug it into your iphone it asks you if you want to go into airplane mode. Say no and the phone will still ring like usual. (Please note: Your head unit must be between '00-'02. If not, it wont work AT ALL!! There is a sticker on top of the H/U, it'll have the date made printed on it)

When your iphone does ring, the music fades down and pauses and the ringtone goes through the speakers. While you're on your iphone all sound is muted through the speakers. Only the person with the phone can hear the caller. Once you end the call, the music fades up from where it paused itself and continues playing.

It's sweet!!

Here's the write up:

1. Here's the box. I picked it up at best buy 2/23/08 for $99.95

2. What the "interface" looks like. Make sure your head unit was made between '00-'02. On the interface, make sure that the 3 & 8 switches are flipped dowm, and all the rest are up.

3. Box picture of the hook up. (does come with instructions) It REALLY is THAT simple!

4. Where I installed the interface:

5. The new harness (PXHGM1) connects to the stereo, and the old harness plugs itself into the new harness. (The power harness stays untouched and gets plugged back in)

6. See the location of the interface? Also note that the old harness is now plugged into the new harness. Dont forget to plug your "power" harness back in!!

7. The location in relation to the radio and air ducts

8. Bezel about to be replaced. You can see the interface is neatly tucked up. (I secured the interface to the side using 1" velcro. Clean the area thouroughly with alcohol before appling the velcro, It'll make for a better sticking surface)

9. Last pic of the "box". All wires have been re-connected and bezel is put back on. SUPER easy install.

10. Where the iphone/ipod connector comes out from. This is only a temporary spot as I dont want wires around my feet as I drive. i'm trying to find a "clean" place to stash it so it's out of sight. In my friends M6, he installed it through the ashtray, as it's behind the shifter. I think mine will be in the ashtray as well. (I have an A4, and it's in FRONT of the shifter)

The whole install took me about 35 minutes, and i'm really anal about looks.

Hope this helps fellas!!

-KING

Join the PHK
    2009 LS1.com Calendar Car

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

The finished product:

both Silver and black
    1971 & 2000 Z/28's

I can't thank you enough Sommer86 for your posting and pictures of the install and recommending the I-simple IPod hook up. I bought a 2000 Z/28 about 3 months ago loaded with everything with a couple of bolt-ons (cold air intake, flowmaster exhaust etc.). The car is a blast. I love the monsoon radio but wanted to use my IPhone/IPod without changing the radio. I tried the fm cigarette plug in unit which didn't work. I went to several stereo stores and of course they want to sell you a new stereo system instead of what you want to do. Then, I saw your posting, your own wording on the install process, and the great pictures. I searched for the unit and found it on line for $75 bucks new. It came in 3 days and installed it just like you did within a half hour!!! I don't know if others followed your thread, but I once again can't thank you enough for the posting.

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Wow, thanks for the great words, Phil!!

Glad the isimple worked out for ya. And I'm glad my write up could help another member out.

If you're interested in how I built my iPhone holder shoot me a PM.

-KING

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

This needs to be a sticky and now is.

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Cool!! Thanks, Z28Thunder, I'm flattered!

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

my aftermarket stereo uses an ipod, i thought about running my hook up down there, but i opted for putting it in the glove box instead.

but with my unit, once its in, i dont need easy access to the ipod, it stays charged from the alternator, and it totally controlled from the head unit

SOM
    2001 SS

Hey guys. Is there a P/N for this isimple. I have gone to best buy and they keep showing me something diff. from the one you have in the pics. Also where else can i go to buy this. Thanks

both Silver and black
    1971 & 2000 Z/28's

Sorry som ss 2001. i havent been on in a while but i purchased mine through sonic electonix. see below. came in about 3 days. best investment of the car yet. good luck.

Peripheral ISGM73: 1 @ $95.96
    Sonic Electronix Salessales@sonicelectronix.comhttp:/...ctronix.comToll-Free: 1-877-289-7664Main: (661) 257-9993

SOM
    2001 SS

Thank You Phil. I will order one today.

Black
    99 Camaro SS

I only see M19 on the top of my head unit. I can't find what date my radio is from.

White
    02 SS vert

Great detailed post but I have a question. I have an 02 SS Vert with the Monsoon stereo that has the CD player in dash and the 12 disk changer in the trunk. The CD/Aux button goes between those two. So do you give up one of these to get this additional aux input to work or does it somehow work as another aux input?

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by perryth View Post
    Great detailed post but I have a question. I have an 02 SS Vert with the Monsoon stereo that has the CD player in dash and the 12 disk changer in the trunk. The CD/Aux button goes between those two. So do you give up one of these to get this additional aux input to work or does it somehow work as another aux input?
    I believe you HAVE TO give up the 12 disc changer in the rear to make it work.

White
    02 SS vert

Quote Originally Posted by Sommer86@6LE View Post
    I believe you HAVE TO give up the 12 disc changer in the rear to make it work.
    Thanks but I dont want to do that. I may try the FM version of this that plugs in line with the antenna.

black
    2001 trans am WS6

I have a 2001 WS6 w/o 12 disc changer. will it still work in my car i dont think i have a aux button?

Black, White
    2001 WS6, 2000 SS Camaro

Awesome!! By the way, you can never have too much Johnny Cash on your ipod/iphone

Black
    '01 Trans Am WS6

I installed this kit on my '01 WS6 and it works awesome! The only downside is it does disable your 12-Disc Changer if you have one, and in my case, my head unit is a cassette player so it's pretty much useless, except I like keeping that monsoon sound and now playing my ipod to it is great... Strongly Recommend doing this..

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

This is a great write-up! Makes me want to go find and reinstall my factory HU... the one I have now has a USB port, but doesn't support iPhones That is going to have to change soon.

BTW +1 on the Johnny Cash, man after my own heart

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

How does the setup work with regards to the head unit? How do you select the iPod as the input? I have a 2002 trans am without the cd changer, just the cd in the head unit. The only input buttons I have is amfm and cd, no Aux button or xm.

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    This is a great write-up! Makes me want to go find and reinstall my factory HU... the one I have now has a USB port, but doesn't support iPhones That is going to have to change soon.

BTW +1 on the Johnny Cash, man after my own heart
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew.paszkiewicz View Post
    How does the setup work with regards to the head unit? How do you select the iPod as the input? I have a 2002 trans am without the cd changer, just the cd in the head unit. The only input buttons I have is amfm and cd, no Aux button or xm.
    It'll work. Just hit the CD button i think. (in your case)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information