Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

High pitched speaker when accelerating?

Whenever my iphone is plugged in to the ipod cable for my alpine unit and I accelerate I get a high pitched sound from my back right speaker? Its driving me insane!

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

I've heard this with various cars/stereos over the years. Something isn't shielded right. I don't know enough to say what, exactly. But something in the i-pod or its cable is picking up interference. I guess my answer isn't very helpful. Maybe some engineering type can explain exactly what that interference is...

You can try basic testing: Use the i-pod in someone else's car, especially same type of car if possible, does it have same issue? Or try a different make of cable in your car, see if that fixes it...

Silver
    2002 Camaro Z28

Ditto...

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

I was afraid it might be because its an iphone 4 and the lady before me had a 3GS but I can't get a hold of her anymore to ask her so I'm stumped. I just don't get why it would gradually get louder and louder as I accelerate. If I put my foot in it you would think I was slowy killing a baby seal in the back seat.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Sounds like it's picking up interference off the alternator. The faster you go, the faster it is spinning...causing more noise.

1999 C5 Hardtop

Is the phone turned to 3g or on the edge network? for some reason when the iphone is on the edge network it causes serious interference with headunits. is it a constant buzz or a rhythmic buzz?

1999 C5 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by JHayesLS1 View Post
    I was afraid it might be because its an iphone 4 and the lady before me had a 3GS but I can't get a hold of her anymore to ask her so I'm stumped. I just don't get why it would gradually get louder and louder as I accelerate. If I put my foot in it you would think I was slowy killing a baby seal in the back seat.
    It could also be that it is an iphone 4. they may have a different power output on them than a 3g or 3gs and may not be compatible with the headunit. try just plugging in an ipod or if you have an aux input, plug in the RCAs to the back of the headunit then plug your phone in with the 3.5 phono jack. (link to what the wire looks like) http://pcwizkid.co.uk/images/Phono%20to%20Jack.jpg

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Sounds like it's picking up interference off the alternator. The faster you go, the faster it is spinning...causing more noise.
    Thank you, I couldn't remember what actually caused the interference. Yeah that makes sense, it being an electromagnet device...

Also OP, have you tried something as simple as placing the ipod in a different spot? With this kind of interference, sometimes placement or position can make it better or worse. So if you have other convenient places to put it, try that. Or try turning it in the same spot if you haven't already...

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

I'll try and use another ipod today to check it out. I think my alternator is going anyways I'm getting the flickering lights on the dash and from every light in the car.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

if you are using rca inputs on your stereo to connect your ipod, there is a grounding issue with the rca cable.....ive tinkered with this problem throughout the years and found a soloution....so what kind of input are you using?

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

I have no clue as I bought the car this way. Over the weekend I'll take it apart and look at and post some pictures so I can have this fixed and for anyone else that has it.

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

I think my alternator is going anyways I'm getting the flickering lights on the dash and from every light in the car.
    Aha sounds like you might be onto something there...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

I think my alternator is going anyways I'm getting the flickering lights on the dash and from every light in the car.
    usually is the issue.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

The tester at advanced said my battery was going but everytime I've had a bad battery the lights don't flicker they just go dim. I'll get it checked out this weekend and report back. I'm also getting some window tint done (finally) on Saturday. Oh paycheck, its already spent lol.

98' trans am

The tester at advanced said my battery was going but everytime I've had a bad battery the lights don't flicker they just go dim. I'll get it checked out this weekend and report back. I'm also getting some window tint done (finally) on Saturday. Oh paycheck, its already spent lol.
    i had a similar problem...i cleaned all connectors ..including the alt. one and the problem seemed to go away.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i had a similar problem...i cleaned all connectors ..including the alt. one and the problem seemed to go away.
    THIS.

Your lights could also be dimming because you are drawing too much current for what your alternator is putting out. Ex. you may need a capacitor. Otherwise, even a newer higher output alternator will probably take a shit on you again.

I don't know if you are running any amps or such and this is why I am just throwing that out there.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    THIS.

Your lights could also be dimming because you are drawing too much current for what your alternator is putting out. Ex. you may need a capacitor. Otherwise, even a newer higher output alternator will probably take a shit on you again.

I don't know if you are running any amps or such and this is why I am just throwing that out there.
    ^ i found out on a optioned t/a with the lights/brights, radio, a/c ...you are basically drawing too many amps for our needle dick 105amp alternators ...there was a gm bulletin about it ..it layed out how much amperage was being drawn by each component and when equaled together it was damn near 105 ...so add in anything aftermarket and well you know

98' trans am

found it

here

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

No amps, no subs, just the aftermarket radio and ipod connector. I also read somewhere that the voltage regulator on these cars are known for going bad and they are in the alternator? Is this right? I am starting to wonder if the sound from the ipod is related because its possible it draws too much power because the alternator is going out?

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

No amps, no subs, just the aftermarket radio and ipod connector. I also read somewhere that the voltage regulator on these cars are known for going bad and they are in the alternator? Is this right? I am starting to wonder if the sound from the ipod is related because its possible it draws too much power because the alternator is going out?
    i still think its a bad ground on the input cable...especially since it only happens with ipod.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information