Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yellow
    2002 CETA

high pitch screech from stereo

my 02 TA has a high pitch screech coming from the speakers when i turn the music up to a certain point. it plays fine for a moment, then a mixture of static, and high pitch screeches take over and its really annoying. it does it with both the radio and cd...does anyone know whats going on with my stereo/radio??

thanks

Give me a place to stand. levityinc3's Avatar

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Quote Originally Posted by dbrichrider33333 View Post
    my 02 TA has a high pitch screech coming from the speakers when i turn the music up to a certain point. it plays fine for a moment, then a mixture of static, and high pitch screeches take over and its really annoying. it does it with both the radio and cd...does anyone know whats going on with my stereo/radio??

thanks
    I wonder if that's a speaker deal, or if it's the head unit. Play around with the fade and balance to see if it's only one or a couple speakers doing it.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

completely stock radio? monsoon? which speakers making the noise?

Yellow
    2002 CETA

im pretty sure its the monsoon...the door speakers are aftermarket...its a collector ed. TA but i think the guy who had it before me put in a stock delco head unit..it has worked fine for me up until now. the noise is coming from all the speakers.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

monsoon deck has 'monsoon' on it, under the clock I believe.. the reason i ask is because if its monsoon it could be a deck OR amp problem; if no monsoon amp and coming from all speakers I would suspect deck has taken a dump.

Yellow
    2002 CETA

ya its just the regular delco head unit...the people who owned the car before me completely gheto rigged the sound system so im just trying to straighten stuff out....so you think its the head unit and not the amp??

silver
    1999 T/A WS6 A4

Mine did that several months ago, it was the monsoon amp. The screeching subsided but the static got worse and turned into ear shattering pops at any volume. Finally replaced everything, sound quality is far superior to anything the monsoon ever put out.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

Quote Originally Posted by dbrichrider33333 View Post
    ya its just the regular delco head unit...the people who owned the car before me completely gheto rigged the sound system so im just trying to straighten stuff out....so you think its the head unit and not the amp??
    Sounds like a good candidate for complete system overhaul...don't neccessarily need to spend a lot.. could go as cheap/simple as buying $200 head unit, running speaker leads to 2 speakers in front and 2 in back *bypassing monsoon amp* and you'll loose the sail subs. Start buying amps and speakers, sound quality is greatly increased but so is $$.

Yellow
    2002 CETA

ok...today i got my amp out and checked it out...nothing seemed to be wrong on the outside..but who knows on the inside.. but when i unplugged the amp the stereo still worked and then screeched like it has been doing.. is it normal that the stereo works the same without the amp plugged in as it does with it plugged in?

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

nope..if there's not another after-market amp installed in the car then i'd say its running off that deck that's in it...odd for someone to do that. But obviously an amp that's not plugged in can't be producing sound through speakers. If I were you I'd disect that system to find out exactly what has been done and how. Take the deck out, see what kind of wiring job you find behind it. Trace speaker leads and see where they go. I'd take door panels off and check out what's lurking back there. Ultimately, find out how everything 'works' right now. then you can post up and accomplish whatever your goals with it turn out to be once you know what you're workin with. Good luck! Perfect excuse for a day with the car and some beer!

silver
    1999 T/A WS6 A4

Sounds like the amps been bypassed, Your best bet would be to take 02WS6dream's advice "find out how everything works".

Yellow
    2002 CETA

dam...haha well that sounds like great fun..ok well tomorrow me and a buddy i know thats good with stereo stuff are gana mess with it and hopefully find out what the deal is...btw..the idiots b4 me took the speaker housings in the door out and replaced them with what i think are 6x9 s and put two way speakers in the back...completely ghetto rigging the whole deal...i kinda just want to replace everything and get an entire new monsoon system like it should be..previous owner must have also replaced the head unit because it reads "98 grand prix" on top. y cant people take care of their shit and do things right?? looks like i have a big project ahead..and i have to find out why my steering wheel controls for the radio dont control anything!! haha fun fun thanks for the advice guys!! hopefully all goes well

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

the steering wheel controls don't work cause the deck that supported them has been replaced. My advice is not to replace with monsoon stuff, for the money it would take to do that you can have a much better sounding system--you have to replace anyway; why not do it the way you want it to sound? And you can make your steering controls work with an aftermarket radio so you haven't lost them forever. Let us know what you and your friend find, and what you ideally want from the system and I'm sure plenty of us will offer our humble .02 the monsoon isn't bad for a stock radio, but is very limited. Would hate to see you spend your money just to have that system again--no matter how modest your goals are with it.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

and replacing front 6.5 components with coaxial 6X9's is retarded..decent pair of 6.5 components outperform 6x9's...and surely not the other way around--absolutely no reason to do that!! Some ppl will do a lot of B.S. to prove how 'cool' they are!

silver
    1999 T/A WS6 A4

Yeah I'd have to agree don't bother trying to replace the monsoon system. I debated this for a while, because i really liked the factory look, but after pricing everything out it came to about 650 to do it. Really didn't think the monsoon ever sounded that good. For a couple hundered more i got a sound system that I really enjoy now and my steering wheel controls still work. In the end its your car, you have to do what you want and what you like. Whichever way you decide to go we are all more than willing to help. I'll pimp a picture of my HU so you can see it doesn't look bad and in my opinion looks just as good as factory. Sorry not the best picture, cheap camera
    [IMG][/IMG]

Give me a place to stand. levityinc3's Avatar

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Quote Originally Posted by gbd99ws6 View Post
    Yeah I'd have to agree don't bother trying to replace the monsoon system. I debated this for a while, because i really liked the factory look, but after pricing everything out it came to about 650 to do it. Really didn't think the monsoon ever sounded that good. For a couple hundered more i got a sound system that I really enjoy now and my steering wheel controls still work. In the end its your car, you have to do what you want and what you like. Whichever way you decide to go we are all more than willing to help. I'll pimp a picture of my HU so you can see it doesn't look bad and in my opinion looks just as good as factory. Sorry not the best picture, cheap camera
    Click for full size[/thumb]
    Yeah but, how much was that dragon?

Yellow
    2002 CETA

well the problem was the pass. door speaker. the connectors came loose and were touching each other so that was causing the screech....i really need to find some speakers for the doors that acually fit right and not use these half ass 6x9s they put in haha thanks for your guys help

silver
    1999 T/A WS6 A4

Its always nice when its something simple and easy, glad you found the problem.

As for the dragon I think its the most expensive mod to date

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

glad it was an easy fix! Got pics of this speaker jig they did in your doors? I'm curious.. And if you decide to throw some money at it post up!

Yellow
    2002 CETA

no pics at the moment but just picture the door speaker being there how it should be....then rip out the speaker, tweeter, and black speaker housing piece and throw a 6x9 in it with only the top and right screw holding it in cuz thats all that can line up....haha freakin rediculous if you ask me but i should be getting a speaker and housing for it sometime soon so hopefully that works out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information