Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2000 ws6

High beams not working

In the process of purchasing 2000 t/a ram air ws6 but the high beams do not work as informed by the mechanic is this an easy fix? Let me know. Thanks

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

At the base of the steering column there was a plug o my 94 and 97. I had several shops disconect it when my wife would take the car in to have a headlight fixed. check there to make sure it is pluged in. I realize these are LT1 cars and your looking at an ls but might be in the same spot. also there is a linkage that runs down there to a switch. that is what activates the high beams see if the linkage moves and it may just be a bad switch.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Could also be as simple as a bad relay, fuse or a simple short. Check the electrical boxes underhood and then inspect the wiring for any bare spots around the headlights. It is not really protected from the metal edges on the brackets, at least on our car it wasn't.

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Where is the relay or the fuse for the high beams? I've looked under the hood on the drivers side and on the drivers side near the dash when the drivers door is open, and can't find anything that says lights, high beam, low beam. Anyone know where the relay or fuse might be???
    Ported/Polished throttle body, Lingenfelter launch module, SLP line lock, QTP exhaust cutout, LS7 clutch, K&N, Ceramic coated longtubes, no cats, 3" exhaust, Flowmaster "B", Eibach springs, Midwest Chassis 9" rearend w/4.10's

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I thought it was in the underhood electrical box, but never really looked for it.

Red

With all due respect, I have been told that it's under the hood fuse panels or the cab fuse panel. I also checked at the base of the steering column for some kind of connection that may have been loose, but nothing. I don't want to take it to the stealership, but in order to get it inspected, I have to have high beams working. And I can't get it registered until I get it inspected. So, I would rather try to fix it myself and save some $$$. The highbeam headlamps are new and my lowbeams work fine. Everything works on the steering column controller, the washer, windshield wipers, turn signals, cruise control.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I will try to remember to grab my manuals and will post back up...

Red

Thank you sir!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

We ended up going out last night and didn't arrive home until after 9:00... writing myself a note to look it up tonight.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Looking at the schematics now...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Headlights do have a fusible link, but if this is blown your low beams would not be functioning. Hmm...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Ok, first thing to do is unplug the harness connector on the back of either high beam and jumper it with power and ground to be certain that the bulbs are good. That, or you can probe for power and ground at the harness connector. Power is going to be the light green wire on the left and right. Ground is the black wire, but both beams ground through the same source. Inspect the wiring in the area of the headlight assembly as it can run on the bodyworks. If the light green wire is broken between the left high beam lamp and the dimmer switch it would disable both beams. Again, probing for power with the lights on and high beams engaged will tell you this.

Let me know what you find, please.

Red

I left the high beam connector unplugged, and with a digital multimeter measured the voltage from the light green wire to ground while switching the dimmer switch several times. Each time I operated the dimmer switch, I would go back under the hood and check the multimeter, and never did get any voltage. In order to assure multimeter was working, I went to the battery and measured hot to gnd and got 12.8 volts DC. Then went back to high beam pigtail and went light green wire connector to body gnd and got no voltage. The light green wire did not seem broken as it had a solid feel from the pigtail end as far back as I checked into the wire loom.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The diagnostic in the service manual suggests a connection or wiring issue. When you flick the high beams on, does the indicator lamp in the instrument cluster light up? Turn your fog lamps on and after ensuring that they light up, flick the high beams on. Do the fog lights turn off when the high beams are activated?

Red

The instrument cluster high beam indicator does not light up at any time. I have hard-wired my lights and headlight actuator motors in, so there is no issue with the large connector having good contact. I will do the check with the fog lamps when I leave here in a few minutes and get back with you. Thank you

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If the high beam indicator isn't lighting up, and the fog light test results in them staying on when you activate high beams, I would say that your switch is bad.

Red

Ok, I turned on the lights, turned on the fogs, clicked the high beam on the column, and the fogs stayed on each time I clicked the high beams. Ok, so where is the high beam switch located? Is it inside the steering column? I've seen a couple sticky threads and it's major surgery to get to it, if it's what you are referring to....

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Diagnostic recommends checking the harness connector at the dimmer switch and if that doesn't do it to replace the dimmer switch (p. 2-71 - just a reference in case you need more info). Yes, that means you are in the steering column. The signal wire from the dimmer switch is still light green and it looks like it is a double wire - one runs to the headlights and the other splits and runs to the high beam indicator and fog light control. I would probably disconnect the switch and jumper power to the light green wire in the connector to see if this activates your high beams -- just to ensure that it is not a wiring or connection issue down the line somewhere.

Red

Thanks Jeff for all your research and input. Looks like the hard part is on the horizon. Not something I'm looking forward to. But I appreciate all your efforts. Thanks man.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Thanks - let me know if you need any additional info posted or emailed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information