Help me with my stereo setup

This is a discussion on Help me with my stereo setup within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; I have a 99 Z28 with the Monsoon CD setup (No steering wheel controls or CD changer). I would like ...

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Help me with my stereo setup

I have a 99 Z28 with the Monsoon CD setup (No steering wheel controls or CD changer). I would like to keep the stock HU because it works fine and looks good. I do not want any subs in the back, because I want to keep the stock T-top locks and I don't need much bass for my music.

From what I understand, the amp runs the speakers in the door and in the sail panel at 2 ohm. Then the HU runs the tweeters in the door and the rear speakers at 4 ohm. What are the factory sizes of the speakers?

1) I was thinking of getting a larger amp either 4 channel or 6 channel. Then, I would run aftermarket speakers in the doors and sail panels....possibly in the rear also if I have a 6 channel amp. What do you think of this setup?

2) The other cheaper and easier setup is to replace the door speakers with the Infinity 62.7i's and leave everything else stock. Do you disconnect the tweeters in the door or not? Also, if I change my mind in the future and decide to go with all new speaker and amp (1st setup)....then these speakers would be a waste, right?

Sorry for the long post....I'm just trying to clarify everything in my head. Tell me what you recommend. Also, if you think I should just go for the 2nd setup, then should I get the Infinity 62.7i's for $90 (total) or go for the the 3-way 63.7i's for $105 (total)? Thanks guys!

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

2) The other cheaper and easier setup is to replace the door speakers with the Infinity 62.7i's and leave everything else stock. Do you disconnect the tweeters in the door or not? Also, if I change my mind in the future and decide to go with all new speaker and amp (1st setup)....then these speakers would be a waste, right?

I went with the Infinitys and the speaker is setup just like the stock speakers. tweeter inputs on the top and sub inputs on the bottom, there is no tweeter to remove in the Z28, the speaker is all 1 unit with seperate inputs. Just use the crossover that comes with the Infinitys to run the infinity tweeter. They have a higher handling rms than the Monsoon amp puts out and could run on a little bigger amp. The tweeters on the Infinity are 2ohm, but what I have read from car audio experts, is that tweeters are not as ohm specific like mids subs etc... Even a 2ohm tweeter wouldn't put a bad load on your 4 ohm amp, because the tweeters rarely run at 2 ohm. Also, the people who have put the 62.7i's in have had great results and haven't heard any complanints. The 63.7i would be good too, but the Monsoon stereo lacks bass, the treble sounds ok, so I don't think you would need it. The 62.7i's can be adjusted to give a few more decibles of treble. I would let you know how they sound if I hadn't injured myself and now getting surgery Fri, Cars apart and speakers are in, but I'm broke now lol.

Black
    2000 WS.6

You can still put a sub in the back and keep your T Top well free. There is a Stealth Box that fits in that little compartment on the left back there.

Just in case you change your mind....

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

I think I am gonna stay away from an elaborate setup, with subs, on this car. I don't really need much bass or the extra weight. But, where can you get those boxes and how much do they cost?

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

You would be suprised how good the stock speakers sound with just a little added bass. I ran my car for over a year with everything stock and just some subs and amp. I am doing speakers just because. I have the millhouse subthump box that is removable and can still use my T tops when flipped up, comes out in a matter of seconds for going to the track and booms. To keep light and have some great sound I have a suggestion, replace the fronts with 62.7i's to get some better highs, leave the rear seat subs and 4inch rear speakers alone. If you want a little more out of the far rear speakers get a couple yards of light sound deadening and cover the entire area under the 4 inch speakers and then use a 1 square foot piece and make a pocket to enclose the speaker. I did this and you can hear the far rear speakers now. A single 10 in a drivers stealth box will make a huge improvement though.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 12-14-2005 at 10:05 PM.

Thread Information