Silver
    2002 Trans Am

Headlight cycling issue!

Hi guys, I have an '02' WS6 TA and just recently I have had an issue crop up. Hopefully I can explain it clearly. Here go's, my headlights have began cycling at times when they shouldn't to put it in a nutshell. 1st scenario, I turn on my parking lights, headlights pop up, which they shouldn't, headlights at least don't turn on, which they shouldn't. 2nd scenario, I hit the keyfob to unlock car, headlights cycle up then down and make a motor noise from passenger side headlight motor for roughly 5 seconds after reclosing. 3rd scenario, when locking car either with the keyfob after exiting the vehicle, or pushing interior lock switch and then exiting the vehicle an closing door, headlights cycle up then down and make the same motor noise from the same headlight motor. Passenger side headlight motor also makes same motor noise when simply shutting off headlights. My first guess is that a relay or something has took a crap on me, my second guess is that its has something to do with the passenger side headlight motor, ( the drivers side motor makes no prolonged noise like pass. side), my 3rd guess is something in the security electronics has gone bad ( but that shouldn't make the light motor make the extra noise when simply shutting off the headlights). The car was bought new by me in 02, is garage kept, well taken care of, never driven in winter, and has barely 50,000 miles on it. Has anybody else heard of or run across this, I would like to fix this myself as funds are tight, instead of taking it to my local GM dealer if possible. I would greatly appreciate any and all info/help/guidance you guys could provide. Thank you in advance!!!!

Radmaximus

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I read about something similar on here recently, but cannot recall what the issue was. I have to get ready for work but will take a look this evening to see if I can find it for you.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am

I believe I found the sticky that is the solution to the problem pajeff. Who'd a thunk that a gear would cause all that to happen. Thanks!

Radmaximus

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yep....gear issue. I replaced mine with brass gears from bfranker

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Changing those was the first and best thing i did on mine. Its very easy to do. Get brass gears and change them. Don't get new motors. Waste of money.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Knock on wood... we haven't had any headlight issues with our car yet.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am

Ordered the rebuild kit from Rodney Dickman in Wisconsin, got the aluminum gear instead of the brass to save a few bucks, money is tight right now. Was right around $40 with shipping. Hope it shows up in the mail today...

Radmaximus

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

That would be the exact same kit I got, except I got brass gears. Take your time, follow the instructions. Enjoy. I hate to say it, but it almost too bad you didn't have to put up with the grinding for over a year first. Then, you would really enjoy it like I did. To this day, I still think about that first mod.

Navy blue
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Hey guys, I'm new here and was searching for issue with the headlight motor just like Radmaximus was having when locking or unlocking the car with the key fob. I also have an '02 FB T/A WS6. So replacing the gears by purchasing a kit does the trick? Any link to where I can find this kit?
    ...and on a side note, anyone have any tips on removing the center ac vent? Gotta replace it - broke all apart when I was cleaning it!

Much appreciated

2002Angrybird

98 Formula
    06 duramax

not allowed to post non-sponsor links so google brent franker headlight fix and it'll be the top result.

Navy blue
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Thank you!

Thread Information