Thread: headlamps

pewter
    2000 camaro Z28

headlamps

ok so had battery replaced alt. tested all good .i have one single 12 type r alpine sub older kicker240 amp and when sub hits my lights dim. didnt think this little amp would suck so much power what can i do cheaply to fix very tight budget seen voltage stabilizer on ebay made by jdm cheap do these work

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

you can try upgrading the wire from your alt. to your battery! they are on the small side and hold back current!... upgrading all your charging system wiring would probably help also! but your alt. can still test good but not have the power to handle the sub and amp! there are ways to "hide" the problem with a capacitor but i wouldn't recommend it IMO!

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

and more info to think about your alt.'s job is to run your cars components and minor accessories and recharge your battery... they say it takes 7 miles to charge your battery back up after a start-up!

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by pewter Z28 View Post
    what can i do cheaply to fix very tight budget seen voltage stabilizer on ebay made by jdm cheap do these work
    Don't buy that crap.

Replacing the wires for the alt could help, but you probably won't see much of an improvement, esp if your alt's on it's way out.

Your alt can test good, but that doesn't mean it's producing enough amps to keep up with your additional audio equipment.

I would check all connections (from your charging system to your amp) for wear. The next cheapest thing to do would be to buy a power capacitor, but this doesn't always fix it 100%. You can add an additional battery to the car, but this will probably kill your alt. Upgrading the alt would option #3, you could find a higher amperage rating from a truck, used if you want, and put that in there. That wouldn't be too bad on price and will fix your issue.

pewter
    2000 camaro Z28

ok thanks for the info didnt think a amp and single 12 could be such pain never had issue in tahoe o well off to store

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by pewter Z28 View Post
    ok thanks for the info didnt think a amp and single 12 could be such pain never had issue in tahoe o well off to store
    All depends on the condition of your charging system. But it wasn't designed to run additional audio equipment from the factory, and that's when it was brand new.

Thread Information