Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Getting the DEH-P980BT tomorrow!! also my Eu-700s will be here too!

It's FINALLY available!!

and according the brochure that came with the shipped units, they support STREAMING bluetooth audio with 2-way control...

also they support the new high-speed Ipod interface module...

this is going to be one hell of a day... because my new 6.5" subwoofers are showing up early in the morning as well...

A bit of info on the 980BT

Pioneer's website has been down for several days now, otherwise I'd have shown you the newest info...

also, do I just need a standard wiring harness to wire into the monsoon system? or do I need something special? I assume it's the standard GM harness that I can get at Walmart for $7...

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

you are going to be sorry you bought those subs man. I really really don't like mine. I had to cut a hole in the b-pilar to make them fit b/c the magnet touches the metal. The stock amp can't put enough power to them either, so you'll probably have to get another amp.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

well I have an amp for them, but I'm going to power them with the stock monsoon amp for a little while...

I had read on here that people had these Eu-700s fitting with no modifications!! damnit...

the plan is to use my current 160x4=640w amp for my eu-700s and my rear hatch speakers... and to get a nINE.2x for a set of edi6500s up front...

oh yeah, and to use my nINE.1 for two 12/15" brahmas in the hatch
    Last edited by ScrapMaker; 06-07-2006 at 12:09 PM.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Maybe I misunderstood something...

Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason
    Yea they sound really good over the stock speakers, but I just trial fit them with the stock HU and amp, I'm trying to decide which amp to replace the monsoon one with before I put them back in and will get more bass out of them. If you recall the other forum I talked about the system I'm a stickler for matching rms watts and ohms all around. If you want to get a passive crossover for them I wouldn't worry about underpowering them at all with the stock system since when it clips and sends DV voltage down the line it would stop at the crossover and not make it to the speaker, those can be found at cardomain
    Quote Originally Posted by amstall
    will the Eu-700 even fit in the sail panel location. The specs say it has a 6" mount dia. While I measured the factory to be 4".
    Not sure what you're measuring, but the factory mount diameter is exactly 6" I've fit them in there no problem

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker
    so you know for sure that the DVC 4ohm EU-700 fits in with no modifications?

because all the people on the eD forums seem to think that they won't fit...

did you try to use them on the stock monsoon amp?
    Yes they worked with one modification, I took the old speaker connection and soldered it up to the new speaker so It would fit perfect without cutting any wires. I'll get some pics posted eventually but I have to reinstall them. So when it warms up I'll show you all that they fit my car just fine with no problems. I used them on the stock amp, but because I'm saving to replace the whole system I took them out until then. I was test fitting and seeing how they sounded through the stock system. Much better than what was there, but I don't want to underpower them with the stock amp
    yes the factory grills fit over them and I did power them up and they worked fine. Did you also ask those trans am owners if they actually tried it?
    MadSeason has some major credibility in my book, so I'm taking him on his word...

even if I have to make SLIGHT modifications, I won't be too upset...

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

HAHA!! this is hilarious!! I just got in the EU-700s and they don't fit! At all!!

this is me laughing on the inside, because if you could see me in person.... oh man... I don't know what the hell I'm gonna do now...

it's funny the mis-information you can get off forums.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

LMAO, sorry about your misfortune. I'm sure you can "make" them fit though. I'm getting EU 700s also along with 4 Kappas to replace all of my monsoon speakers.

2K LPM Z28 M6- GMHTP StreetHeat feature Nov 12- Camaro Performers Readers' Rides feature Nov 12
    2K4 BS G35 sedan 5AT

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

ouch.. that sucks. did you get the head unit yet? maybe you can send those back and go with a set of 8"s. i read that on a nother forum, it takes a little cutting of the hole, but if you get the one that has a shallow mounting depth, that they sound great...

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i knew they wouldn't fit, they are too damn deep and bang into that wall behind the mounting panel. You WILL have to cut a 1" hole in that wall they are hitting so that they can get air into the port. Then you'll have to mount them with like 2 screws. maybe build up the mounting surface a bit with dyna mat. here is the wiring guide for them:

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

well, if you look in the mounting hole, you see the 'wall' that the speaker is hitting has a curved ridge on the edge... I took a sawzall to the small ridge, and that seemed to help a bit...

my next step is to buy some 6.5" woofer mounting rings... it looks like if I could just get a 1/4" ring that I could mount the speakers...

I still don't understand why MadSeason would say these speakers fit 'perfectly,' when they don't seem to fit whatsoever... quite misleading to say the least...

good thing they were only $100, and I MAY be able to use them if I use mounting rings... the only problem I'll have down the road is that the speakers will then flap against the grills... kinda lame either way...

hey, dipherentdesign, how much metal did you end up cutting out back there? I'm worried about harming the structural rigidity of the car... that is the part of the critical metal that holds the roof up...

and I got that headunit!! holy crap it's the most amazing thing I've ever seen... I bought the ipod controller as well, so in my glovebox I have a 3.5mm audio jack for friend's mp3 players, and an ipod connector... so I leave my ipod in my locked glovebox and I can control it completely from my headunit... also I see all the song names etc on the deck..

I borrowed a friend's Razr and wow, the wireless bluetooth handsfree thing kicks some serious ass... it pauses the music and plays a ringtone through the speakers... I just hit a button to answer or ignore... if the phone supports voice command, I can just say answer or whatever...

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by bene
    LMAO, sorry about your misfortune. I'm sure you can "make" them fit though. I'm getting EU 700s also along with 4 Kappas to replace all of my monsoon speakers.
    where do you plan on putting the Eu-700s because I don't think you can 'make' them fit and still keep the stock speaker covers...

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

PLEASE DO NOT HACK SAW THAT SUPPORT BEAM! think abotu it, it's the only thing that ties teh sides of the car together! If you start cutting it, you will ruin it's ability to resist sway. Please, just do the following: cut a 1" hole as shown below. [circle's are engineeringly sound and won't destroy the beam's integrity]
    Click for full size
    Then use your mounting brackets, that should lift the speaker up a bit more [wish i would have thought of those...] and if the speaker bounces off the mesh grill-go to a metal fab, or a audio specialty place and ask them to make you a raised speaker grill following the stock grill as a guide.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

you think a 1" hole is big enough? I thought the tip on the magnet was closer to 1.5" wide..

what sucks is I bought these speaker rings made out of plastic, but I couldn't get them on the speaker because of the dual sets of termials on the EU-700... GOD DAMNIT!! so I took an exact-o knife and cut enough off the ring to finally squeeze it onto the speaker... then I find out that the ring was too small in inside diameter... so I'd have to go all around the edge and trim it... THEN the speaker holes didn't line up...

good god...

I think I'm going to swing by the place I bought my DEH-P980BT from and see what they can do for me...

so far all I've done is, that raised edge on the left of that internal support, I've made several 'incisions' and bend it back slightly... it's still there, but not as strong as it used to be... I definitely wasn't going to cut any more than that...

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

the hole is just there for the speaker's port to breathe. I had a long conversation with an ED tech and he assured me that the speaker's ability to perform is not compensated b/c the magnet touches the metal-it's b/c the speaker can't breathe and the stock monsoon isn't giving it enough power. I have to say, at low-mid volume, they sound great, i can't wait to plug some real power into them and see what they do witht he tops of, etc.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

hey, so if you DIDN'T use speaker spacer plates, how the heck did you get yours in?

right now, I just went to home depot and got some 1 1/2" long screws that are the same thread pattern as the stock ones, and screwed in two screws.... I tightened down the woofer as safely as I thought I should, (if I went nuts, I'd either bend the woofer/damage the voicecoil, or bend the basket.) This still leaves ENORMOUS holes for air to travel around the mounting surface, creating a tremendous amount of cancellation...

for now I have the woofers crossed over at 80hz, because they seem to play fine down to that... I guess the cancellation isn't as big of a deal at the higher frequencies...

let me tell you guys though, running the new headunit made THE WORLD of difference... the overall sound is clearer at all volumes, but I can get my system as loud as my old car that I had the kappa 4x6/blaupunkt 150wrms DVC 6x9's running them at an available 160wrms a piece... I ran the 4x6 component plates at 75 because they couldn't take much more without coloring the sound (meaning the tweeter was about to die on me...)

anyways, it's VERY close, even with these 'crappy' stock woofers... it's not as crystal-clear as I'm used to with my old system, but we went to the lake this last weekend and I had my doors/hatch open blastin my music... people kept comin over asking what system I had and what amps etc... I had to keep telling everyone that it's the stock system with just a new headunit...

everyone that rides in my car is impressed... hell, they were even impressed BEFORE I upgraded the headunit...

for stock, it's the best I've personally heard... I bet there is better, but the front components seem to play REALLY well all the way down to 65-80hz... something I can't say for even some cheap aftermarket components...

with all that said, TIME TO RIP IT ALL OUT!! weee!!! in the next few months I should be getting my eD 6500s and a nINE.2x... I will leave the hatch woofers for now... and all the stock wiring so I can put it all back if I want

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

so you used spacers as well?

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

nope, my magnet is still touching the back wall. I only screwed in 2 screws. Kill me-i don't care. Nothing fell out yet Sounds like you really have this audio shit down. Good luck man.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

well I talked to a local shop and they are going to build me custom spacers for $40 and they are going to recommend another company that makes custom speaker grilles so I can keep that stock look....

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

hey! if you get custom speaker grills, get me a set and i'll send you the money. let me know how much they are first though!!!

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

yeah if I get the custom grills, I think I'll have them make it to where you can see the speaker from certain angles but not from like looking through the window... kind of a classy look to show off the slick eu700s

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information