meisel

Question Front door speaker replacement

the speaker in the front door of my '99 z28 (t tops) is blown and i was checking on crutchfield.com for replacements that fit because i figured i could get a better quality speaker from them for less than from chevrolet. on their website it says
    "If you replace speakers in this location the new speakers will only produce bass. To get full range sound you will need to replace the factory radio with an aftermarket radio AND bypass the factory amp."
    can anyone advise me on what i need to do to make this work, and what the best value for speaker replacement is? the other posts on panel removal are awesome and will be helpful for the actual replacement.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

That isn't true about only bass. The factory speaker has 2 sets of inputs..1 is bass(coming off the monsoon amp) #2 is highs that go to the tweeter on the factory speaker and runs off the stock hu or aftermarket if you add one. The Infinity 62.7i are direct replacements and connect like stock, no modifications are need. You dont use the crossovers that come with the Infinity 62.7i, just the speaker, cut the factory wires that go to the stock speaker, notice which one is the bass input, connect it to the Infinity 62.7i woofer input, and the tweeter wire to the Ininfity tweeter input, again don't use the crossover...The 62.7i is 2ohm and sounds great. ebay has them for under $90 shipped, is where I bought mine and they work great. I did use the speaker wire off the crossover to add lenth the the factory wires and used the ends with the plug in to plug into the 62.7i's. If any questions feel free to PM me.
    here is a link to another post I responded to with pictures, I also have a bunch of pictures of the install on my cardomain pages.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9297
    Last edited by rotwiler; 03-22-2006 at 08:54 PM.

black
    2000 Z28 (sold)

My front speakers are blown also, thanx for the info rotwiler. I just bought a set of the infinitys from ebay for $93 shipped. Not a bad price. Infinity are good speakers. Does anyone know of any good subs for the sail panels? I know people talk alot about the elemental design subs. Are they any good? Thanx again.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Quote Originally Posted by blky2kz
    My front speakers are blown also, thanx for the info rotwiler. I just bought a set of the infinitys from ebay for $93 shipped. Not a bad price. Infinity are good speakers. Does anyone know of any good subs for the sail panels? I know people talk alot about the elemental design subs. Are they any good? Thanx again.
    I wasn't too impressed with the Infinity Reference components I had. Even with the mid-woofers high paased at 80Hz @ 18dB/octave they still distorted badly on loud bass hits. Infinity mid-woofers are pretty poor in the mid-bass reproduction area IMO.

2002 Z28

The 62.7i's are not the Reference speakers, they are the Kappa series. I've heard mixed results with sail panel replacements..I added the 62.7i's there too, but I am not wanting bass out of them, only mids and highs, my subs fill in the rest. Also remember the Camaro and T/A's are different setups. I only say this because people with T/A's see a post on speakers and then can't figure out whats up when they try to change the speakers out and they are different.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 03-23-2006 at 08:56 AM.

meisel

Arrow thanks, one more question

rotwiler, thanks for the advice. one followup question. in your response to the other person you said you weren't looking for base out of the 62.7i's. if i don't have any other subs, just the factory system would you still recommend them, or a different speaker? thanks again.

2002 Z28

For the front doors they sound better than stock, more mid bass, less distortion and better highs. For the sailpanel, the highs are a little too much for me(I ran the inputs from the far rear 4inch speakers to the tweeter of the 62.7i in the sailpanel)(the 62.7i has a built in crossover for the tweeter), I need to remove the cover and turn the tweeter to less db of output. I run around alot without my subs in since they are removable and I go to the 1/4 mile track almost every weekend. They sound much better than the stock speakers and I listen to music with bass and they sound good. If you add sound deadening to the doors bass will improve also, I didn't do it, but I am very happy with the overall sound. I did add some sound deadening behind the sailpanel though.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 03-23-2006 at 06:46 PM.

1999 Chevy Camaro

I just got cheap Rocksford Fosgates for about $130 a set at Best Buy (normally I don't like to buy there, but I needed them fast and cheap ), and they rock!! No distortion and the sound is crisp and clear and the bass is amazing!! If your looking for cheap and something that fits and will give you great sound, I'd recomend the RFs. I'm going to look for tweaters next week...

Rob

Thread Information