Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Found the perfect head unit!

This is a discussion on Found the perfect head unit! within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; I went with a single 10" sub for a clean install. Found the beefiest sub I could that matched the ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I went with a single 10" sub for a clean install. Found the beefiest sub I could that matched the rest of my system. I have a TS-W2502D2 in a subthump drivers side stealth enclosure. It's powered by a PRS-D1200SPL amp putting out 500watts at 4ohms. The sub has no problems going as low as 4hz.... yes FOUR hz. it blends right into the music at normal listening levels and thumps hard when the volume gets high and the bass boost is up. I got to keep my t-top well and enjoy a strong sub but convenience isn't cheap or easy. the box is a little over 100. the sub was cheap at just under 100 but the amp adds 450+ if you can find it for the price i did.

I like your setup! I just wouldn't be able to deal with the big box out back. not that i don't like the bass. i just prefer stockish looking installs. I've seen that headunit before. I agree that CD players aren't really needed anymore. I rarely use mine. The car looks great! I'd love to hear it sometime. I'll be in TN next week if you find yourself anywhere in the area i'm sure a little cruise can be arranged. I'm going down there to visit Lawless and would love to get some driving time in down south.

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    I went with a single 10" sub for a clean install. Found the beefiest sub I could that matched the rest of my system. I have a TS-W2502D2 in a subthump drivers side stealth enclosure. It's powered by a PRS-D1200SPL amp putting out 500watts at 4ohms. The sub has no problems going as low as 4hz.... yes FOUR hz. it blends right into the music at normal listening levels and thumps hard when the volume gets high and the bass boost is up. I got to keep my t-top well and enjoy a strong sub but convenience isn't cheap or easy. the box is a little over 100. the sub was cheap at just under 100 but the amp adds 450+ if you can find it for the price i did.

I like your setup! I just wouldn't be able to deal with the big box out back. not that i don't like the bass. i just prefer stockish looking installs. I've seen that headunit before. I agree that CD players aren't really needed anymore. I rarely use mine. The car looks great! I'd love to hear it sometime. I'll be in TN next week if you find yourself anywhere in the area i'm sure a little cruise can be arranged. I'm going down there to visit Lawless and would love to get some driving time in down south.
    Yeah anytime you're in GA or Alabama hit me up and we'll get a cruise in the works. I have a video of the car on YouTube. I like the sub box. It was already installed in the car when I bought it all I did was replace the subs and flip one upside down for better midtones so it's not so much thump lol.

Here's the video.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWfEqO59nGw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWfEqO59nGw[/ame]

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post
    The dash pieces look like you take good care of them i painted some of them in my truck and they didnt last a year before i ended up having to re-sand and paint them
    Oh yes they get babied every week. I use Armoral to clean them and a coat of wax no lie. Keeps them smooth and dirt and stains never stick cause of the wax. Other then that I don't do anything different that I know of. I can't remember for the life of me what the place was called that I sent them to but If I remember I'll let you know. I think they're local in GA.

3-Time F-Body Offender doozjamann's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by transamgirl89 View Post
    lol yep. I must taste good then.
    I can't believe that comment has gone this long without someone saying something.

You guys are slipping.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

well not so sure i'll find myself up in bama or GA without reason. I'll be a good 3 hours from Atlanta. From Saturday until the following sunday. Sounds like you are big on SQ rather than just knocking fillings out of your teeth.

I sacrificed ultimate SPL in favor of SQ as well. As a result my system is not terribly loud outside the car.... in fact in a crowded lot you can barely hear it over the noise of the other cars around. However inside i've recorded SPLs over 130db.

I used all the factory locations for my speakers and went with a full Pioneer Premier setup.

What kind of speakers are you running? what kind of infinity speakers. you say 6... did you put like 5x6's in the hatch? or components in the sails?

Your system looks very nice and a slick looking car as well. Again. If you don't have any plans for the coming week and want to meet up let me know as I'll be down south enjoying my week off with Lawless.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by transamgirl89 View Post
    Oh yes they get babied every week. I use Armoral to clean them and a coat of wax no lie. Keeps them smooth and dirt and stains never stick cause of the wax. Other then that I don't do anything different that I know of. I can't remember for the life of me what the place was called that I sent them to but If I remember I'll let you know. I think they're local in GA.
    Yeah and caranuba wax works great as well i would be cautious about putting armourall on your dash though it has a tendency to dry it out and make it easier to crack just my 2 cents

Red
    98 Trans Am

Not to change the subject too much , was there anything you had to do when you removed your stock unit out and put the new one in (other than maybe some wire splicing to a plugin harness)? no theft lock issues or anything. I came across a free head unit with USB, AUX, and SD/MMC card reader with removable face by Audio Project. Its a clean black face with some kind of display screen. (Should look good in my TA) It was free so im taking it and running with it. Of course i loose my steering controls but i think i can live with that. Th eold unit is about done. The CD player doesnt take CDs, the radio is pretty much usless (the transmitter can hardly keep it locked on), and of course it just looks old and pathetic compared to todays standards.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    Not to change the subject too much , was there anything you had to do when you removed your stock unit out and put the new one in (other than maybe some wire splicing to a plugin harness)? no theft lock issues or anything. I came across a free head unit with USB, AUX, and SD/MMC card reader with removable face by Audio Project. Its a clean black face with some kind of display screen. (Should look good in my TA) It was free so im taking it and running with it. Of course i loose my steering controls but i think i can live with that. Th eold unit is about done. The CD player doesnt take CDs, the radio is pretty much usless (the transmitter can hardly keep it locked on), and of course it just looks old and pathetic compared to todays standards.
    Replacing the radio is easy- get a wiring kit and a antenna adapter. Depending on the size of the radio (DIN, Double DIN, or DIN.5) you may need an plate to adapt the radio to the space or a new bezel if its a double DIN unit. Also depending on the radio, you may be able to add a PAC adapter for the steering wheel controls.
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

Red
    98 Trans Am

cool, thanks. Ill check out 6litereater to get the DIN. Its not a double so, that should fit fine. Ill also check the harness to be able to use my steering controls.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by bberretta View Post
    Replacing the radio is easy- get a wiring kit and a antenna adapter. Depending on the size of the radio (DIN, Double DIN, or DIN.5) you may need an plate to adapt the radio to the space or a new bezel if its a double DIN unit. Also depending on the radio, you may be able to add a PAC adapter for the steering wheel controls.
    i have heard that they offer the adapters to work the steerign wheel controls but how can you tell if the stereo is compatable and where would you get a pac adapter?

Bright Red

Depends on the radio. You'll need to check with the model and it'll say if it's compatible. Usually it'll have a remote input line or a small plug (like a headphone jack) on the radio.

White
    1998 Trans Am

See I hate GM for.their stipid din and a half. Love my trailblazer since they realized.double din is they way to go. I saw that 6liter designed for the double din and finally going to.do mine since the factory radio.light as screen at done for. I have seen single don kits in TA's with normal radio's and flip ups and hate the look compared to the factory fit my eclipse has in my suv. But has anyone used the 6liter kit in a TA with a double din. I have a $500 Pioneer premier cd player but going to used that for my 5.0 since I tried it in my TA and looked cheesy. Single just doesn't't for clean enough for my taste in a TA so any double din pics with a 6liter kit would be great do I cam get and ideai plan to use a Alpine screen since I can get those at just over cost and have plenty of amps and and 6.5" components and coax's laying around new in boxes just waiting for a car.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Bright Red

I haven't tried the 6liter bezel, but I have made one. Here's the post where I put the template file for making your own brackets: Making the plunge to a Double DIN . I'd recommend getting 6liter's bezel- it looks like a quality part and the cost isn't much more than you'll spend to make your own.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

kenwood head units are nice, kenwood subs are a different story. Nice deck, paid way too much imho.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I just bought a Kenwood Kdc-Bt945U for my truck. Still have to install it though. Installed the front speakers today ( alpine 600c's) and am doing the rear speakers (alpine 500's) tomorrow then I'll do the HU. Really liked the Kenwood HU.....has a nice classy look to it.

Bright Red

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    kenwood head units are nice, kenwood subs are a different story. Nice deck, paid way too much imho.
    Bought it refurbed so I didn't pay the full price so it wasn't really all that much more than many other double DINs with half the features. Really wish I'd held out and got the 800 series, but oh well.

I have mine completely pulled apart right now trying to clean up some wiring and install LED bulbs throughout. While waiting for my MWC rear to get here I got bored...

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    Where have you seen it any cheaper, i havent found one any where near cheaper.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

I couldnt find her exact model but on sonicelectronix . com there are head units for pretty cheap. I think there are like 4 different models on there that look similar to hers. Like i said kenwoods are real clean and nice looking but they can be pretty slow once you get a lot of music on them.

white
    2000 transam ram air WS6

i changed headunits to first i had pannasonic crap then i had alpine then pioneer

now i have kenwood sound is 100 times better and way more options to adjust youre sound and usb of course hahaa lol

kenwood rocks !!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information