Thread: Double DIN HU

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

Double DIN HU

My Monsoon head unit is starting to crap out on me in my Trans Am. I was looking into a new head unit with Bluetooth, USB and all the modern conveniences. My question is about the double DIN units. Do they look good in these cars and will I have to modify the trim piece or anything around it? I know that's an issue with the Camaro's. I want to keep the steering wheel controls to and they make modules to do that just wondering if one is easier/better than others.

Thanks

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I have one in my car and it works just fine I have the hookup for the steering wheel controls at home but just haven't gotten around to hooking it up. The bezel will have to be modified. Some do it themselves lots of write ups out there. What I did was just bought a ready to install package from double d mods. Came with evrything except the steering wheel controls. All I had to do was send the bezel in and they modified it for me or you can have him make a new one for you. Some sites like 6litreater sell a pre-made piece too.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

Do you have any installed pictures of the bezel they made for you. I was looking at the Double D website and the packages are priced pretty well
    1998 Trans am Ws6, T56 : SLP Lid, K&N Air Filter, Smooth Bellows, Granatelli air foil, LS6 Intake, SLP Harmonic Balancer pulley, QTP 1 3/4" headers and Y-pipe, LS7 Clutch & flywheel, Hurst Billet Pro shifter,Tick Master Cylinder, UMI LCA relocation kit, UMI LCA, UMI Panhard Bar, Tuned by Frost

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Only pic I have at the moment. Kind of blurry but it was a cell phone pic and my car is in a garage at a shop till my rear axle arrives.

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

Is that the Metra Bezel from Double D Mods? They sell a Metra one they modify for $30 and the ones you send your old bezel in and they modify it is $100. Whats the difference? The $30 one sounds pretty good

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

How did you manage to fit the new one in the old space? I'm having a hard time I cut those little tabs on the top and the bottom tray is cracked. I still cant get it to slide in. Should I take that bottom tray out? Crutchfield said "modified" fit, I didn't think it would be this much modifying. Any pointers let me know, thanks

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

The bezel I have is the hundred dollar version. The only way I can tell it's modified is the feel of it. As for fitting it if I remember I had to remove the entire plastic tray. I would check but the car is in storage at a buddies garage waiting on a new rear axle.

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

OK, I guess Ill take the whole bottom tray out. That seems to be the problem. I just wanted to confirm that other people had to do it and I'm not doing something wrong

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

It's still a very tight and doesn't move at all. It doesn't look weird or anything.

Thread Information