Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

door lights are out

This is a discussion on door lights are out within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by 9t8z28 USE CLEAR LEDs! Ok 9t8z28, I ordered the LED's in clear, based upon YOUR RECOMMENDATION in ...

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    USE CLEAR LEDs!
    Ok 9t8z28, I ordered the LED's in clear, based upon YOUR RECOMMENDATION in this post that I have quoted above. Now you say I should have ordered them in red??? Come on man, make up your mind....why would you post one thing and do another??? Like I said, I already ordered them in clear, which is what they were originally, so, I still think I made the right decision. Maybe from now on, you should do your tests and formulate your suggestions AFTER you perform the distinctions and not BEFORE. I do appreciate the type and style of LED needed being shared in this thread. Thanks guys!!

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

The clear LED's are not very bright. You should have went with the red LEDs which are much brighter. I bought both at the same time and tried both.

The factory style bulbs get hot and kind of seat themselves in there. You will not hurt anything by breaking them. Its just a bulb and not the socket that you are breaking.
    that's the thing, if i break the blub, and the plastic is melted to it, then i just have broken the tip off, while the rest stays there. seems ineffective.

Red

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    that's the thing, if i break the blub, and the plastic is melted to it, then i just have broken the tip off, while the rest stays there. seems ineffective.
    Perhaps breaking it will expose the base that can be pulled out with some needle nose pliers?

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

like i said, get plyers, and pull, they come out easy, put a tissue around it if it makes you feel better

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    Ok 9t8z28, I ordered the LED's in clear, based upon YOUR RECOMMENDATION in this post that I have quoted above. Now you say I should have ordered them in red??? Come on man, make up your mind....why would you post one thing and do another??? Like I said, I already ordered them in clear, which is what they were originally, so, I still think I made the right decision. Maybe from now on, you should do your tests and formulate your suggestions AFTER you perform the distinctions and not BEFORE. I do appreciate the type and style of LED needed being shared in this thread. Thanks guys!!
    WOW! It has been so long (ALMOST 12 MONTHS) since I bought these and installed them that I forgot what worked better! Sorry, your right, EDIT but jesus christ, BITCH some more why don't you. Fuckin relax. A simple sentence would have persuaded me to look at my post that I made, (once again) almost a year ago.
    Last edited by 9t8z28; 12-14-2009 at 05:11 PM.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

It will just be tight, not melted to the point that it will be formed around the bulb.

Red

WOW! It has been so long (ALMOST 12 MONTHS) since I bought these and installed them that I forgot what worked better! Sorry, your right, EDIT but jesus christ, BITCH some more why don't you. Fuckin relax. A simple sentence would have persuaded me to look at my post that I made, (once again) almost a year ago.
    Sorry dude, may have come across a little too strong. Didn't realize it had been that long since the original post. Cursing is not needed.

Red

I received my LED's from SuperBrightLED and ended up having to break out both the drivers side and passenger side bulbs in order to get them out. The drivers side, I had to get needle nose pliers and tried to pull the base out after breaking it, but still wouldn't come out. So, I had to scrape the rest of the glass base out with the needle nose pliers. I got out as much as possible, and then tried installing the LED bulb. I turned the parking lights on and the LED lit up! Cool, then I installed it back in the door handle cover and it was bright. I did the same to the passenger side, but after I broke the burned out bulb, I grabbed the rest of what was left with a pair of Klines, and the glass base came out in one piece. I then installed the LED, turned on the parking lights, but it would not come on. So, I took it out, reinstalled it 180 degrees, and it lit up. I remembered that LED's are polarity sensitive and it made sense why it worked one way, but didn't the other. Now it's taking time getting use to there being lights on my door panels where there wasn't before, but it looks really cool and now I can see the switches that control my windows and rearview mirrors along with the door locks. It's all good!!!!!

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

good write up! thanks for the reassurance.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    I received my LED's from SuperBrightLED and ended up having to break out both the drivers side and passenger side bulbs in order to get them out. The drivers side, I had to get needle nose pliers and tried to pull the base out after breaking it, but still wouldn't come out. So, I had to scrape the rest of the glass base out with the needle nose pliers. I got out as much as possible, and then tried installing the LED bulb. I turned the parking lights on and the LED lit up! Cool, then I installed it back in the door handle cover and it was bright. I did the same to the passenger side, but after I broke the burned out bulb, I grabbed the rest of what was left with a pair of Klines, and the glass base came out in one piece. I then installed the LED, turned on the parking lights, but it would not come on. So, I took it out, reinstalled it 180 degrees, and it lit up. I remembered that LED's are polarity sensitive and it made sense why it worked one way, but didn't the other. Now it's taking time getting use to there being lights on my door panels where there wasn't before, but it looks really cool and now I can see the switches that control my windows and rearview mirrors along with the door locks. It's all good!!!!!
    They are definitely distracting at night!

Red

They are definitely distracting at night!
    Z28, I'm in full agreement. The LED's are definitely brighter and last night I was wondering...."were these door lights this bright in my '98???" This is the first time they have worked since I bought the 2000 WS6 a year ago, but I really don't think my '98 WS6's door panel lights were this bright. Perhaps I should have purchased the red LED's instead of the clear, maybe they wouldn't be sooooooo bright. The red LED's with the red plastic covers may have dimmed them a bit...I'm thinking that over time, I will be able to disregard their brightness....man, I hope so...I can almost read a map by them!!!

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

don't they dim when you turn down the dash lights?

Red

I don't know if they dim or not. I don't want to have to dim the dash just to dim the door panels....it's not that bad! I like the bright red dash lights just the way they are, but good question. Perhaps I could get a permanent marker or sharpie and put a black mark or an "X" on the inside of the red colored insert to tone down the brightness. I might just do that. Start first with just a mark across it like this: "/" And then if that is still too bright, go with the "X", then if that is still too bright maybe a "*", etc., etc., etc.... Good idea, thanks!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information