Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Do people actually want the stock monsoon amplifiers or should I throw mine away?

Well I'm going to be putting in all my aftermarket stuff in the next few months...

out of curiousity, do people actually buy entire, perfectly-working systems? including the 12-disc changer??

if not, I think I will try and rig the amp and headunit in my mom's crummy old corolla...

too bad the wiring looks like a pain-in-the ass... I really wanna strip all the stock wiring outta there, but I think they run all the wires in looms...

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

also, I have heard a few times, and it makes sense, but that the monsoon amp isn't half bad, it's really the headunit output that's distorting since it's coming from the speaker output...

I've been told that if you use the 5v+ RCA output of a deck and feed that to the monsoon, that you get much louder and clearer... dunno...

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

I like the way the monsoon system sounds now that I have 4 Infinity 62.7's in and a kenwood HU. I sold my stock CD HU for $110 shipped on here and my stock disc changer for $120 shipped on here, took me 3 days to sell them. Went out and found a Kenwood mp922 HU refurbished and a pac swi-x for $175 total(with 1 year warranty from cartoys) a little over a year ago. Just the HU alone made everything sound better and more control over freq.

1999 Chevy Camaro

Sell it on ebay, you'd be surpised. People will buy anything there, and I'm one of them .

Rob

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

The POS Monsoon amp and HU are junk. When I first got my car I did some testing with my O-scope and a calibrated test CD. After only 23 clicks of the HU's volume control the HU's output started clipping. The further you turned it up the worse the clipping got. (Your mileage may vary, some may distort sooner, some later) If you check your HU you'll notice that 23 clicks isn't very loud at all. So the higher you crank the volume the worse the distortion becomes. To make matters worse the POS Monsoon amp uses speaker level inputs rather than RCA level inputs. The first thing the amp has to do is step down the signal from the HU and convert it into a lower level signal for the amp to use. So now you have lots of distortion coming from the HU going into an amp that immediately degrades the signal by converting it to a low level signal. Then the very poorly made amp adds on it's own distortion to the already badly distorted source signal. Add it all up and it's no wonder that the factory speakers are blowing all the time. After-market speakers are built a little more robust so they may stand up to the distortion better than the low-tech paper coned factory speakers but there is still a chance that they may blow too. If you're ever listening to your setup and notice that the highs seem to just disappear all of a sudden it is most likely because the amount of distortion has tripped the poly-switch in the crossover thats used to protect the tweeter. And the older the set of speakers the more likely it is that the poly-switch will start to act up since as it ages it begins to trip more easily.

OK, that was a mouthfull. Bottom line... if sound quality is important to you go with an after-market setup and use the money you get from selling the POS Monsoon system to help pay for it all.

The CD changer sould be easy to sell - since the wiring is already there for the cars that didn't come with it.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

I need to run a cleaning disc through the changer... does that work the same as a headunit??

other than some wear on the radio presets on the headunit, the system is complete, and flawless... I wonder if I could somehow get $500 for everything... that would rock... since it would just be junk to me..

but like I said earlier, you can get much better sound with an aftermarket deck using RCA output... that's the way all the shops around here do it, and you get rid of a lot of distortion

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

With the wear on the HU if CD maybe you could get $60, the one I sold was like new. Also the CD changer I sold had only been used about 10 times total. The Monsoon amps go all the time for about $60, speakers don't get too much used...So max your going to get would be around $200, but all depends how honest you are in your descriptions and how much use it has. Your going to get the most $ out of the CD changer.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

I just can't decide it it would be smarter just to install the heaunit and AMP in my dad's beater buick or sell it... $200 isn't much... he couldn't even get a single amp for that much for the buick...

Black
    2001 Trans Am Ram Air

I bet it's valuable as a replacement part for someone...

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

that's true... I guess when I finally get enough money (for my new system), I'll put the whole monsoon system up for sale on the forums so maybe it will help someone...

stereo

id keep it and wait for someone that needs it to buy it, or just ebay it

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

yeah that's what I'm gonna do... just wait until someone on here needs it or whatever..

does anyone know how to clean the laser in the cd changer?

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

KEEP IT!! you may not think you need it now but when you ever go to resell it some people would like to have the stock setup in it especially if its not a kid buying the car. If not EBAY is the key haha you will get more for it there than anywhere ..

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

that's true... the car would be worth a lot less if it had no speakers whatsoever....

Thread Information