Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Disc changer

This is a discussion on Disc changer within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; I got a factory 12 in the drivers side of the trunk ...dont spend the money its much better to ...

  1. #21
    Junior Member WetSpot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Daytona Beach FL.
    Age
    52
    Posts
    45

    silver
    1999 Z28

    I got a factory 12 in the drivers side of the trunk ...dont spend the money its much better to have a CD in the deck...Its just a pain in the ass with 12 CDs and dont know which ones which. Trust me it sounds great but its a poor set up. IMO. You may say O hes fulla crap , but after the first 3 or 4 CDs and a few beers you will spend her whole ride home looking for the song you wanted to hear...BTW Copa Cabana is on my disc 7 track 10. Found it sober

  2. #22
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by WetSpot View Post
    I got a factory 12 in the drivers side of the trunk ...dont spend the money its much better to have a CD in the deck...Its just a pain in the ass with 12 CDs and dont know which ones which. Trust me it sounds great but its a poor set up. IMO. You may say O hes fulla crap , but after the first 3 or 4 CDs and a few beers you will spend her whole ride home looking for the song you wanted to hear...BTW Copa Cabana is on my disc 7 track 10. Found it sober
    Thats why I burn all my own CD's with all songs I like to hear,,,rather than purchasing a CD with 20 songs and only 3 I like.

    I love the 12 disc changer,,,it was great on our last 10 hour trip through the mountains where radio stations are non existant. Plus with the flip of a steering wheel button I can move things around without taking a hand off the wheel or eyes off the road.

    Shucks you can't remember where your songs are at??? My 9 year old son knows exactly where songs are and tells me the disc and track number to flip it to

    Changing one disc at a time in the head unit is quite frankly a pain in the ass,,,,I never use that part of the head unit at all.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by WetSpot View Post
    I got a factory 12 in the drivers side of the trunk ...dont spend the money its much better to have a CD in the deck...Its just a pain in the ass with 12 CDs and dont know which ones which. Trust me it sounds great but its a poor set up. IMO. You may say O hes fulla crap , but after the first 3 or 4 CDs and a few beers you will spend her whole ride home looking for the song you wanted to hear...BTW Copa Cabana is on my disc 7 track 10. Found it sober
    Well there's your real problem with the changer, disc 7. I would use that disc as a frisbee!!!!

    I think your fulla crap. Ha ha.

    To keep track of my CDs, I have a list in the drivers door. Getting old, memory problems here.....

  4. #24
    Junior Member WetSpot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Daytona Beach FL.
    Age
    52
    Posts
    45

    silver
    1999 Z28

    come on coooome on guys....you like it just cause its there. But. you missed 3 little letters in my post .......I...M...O.

  5. #25
    Member victor111262's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    oklahoma city
    Posts
    179

    White
    2001 Z28

    change the head unit cable are working CD changer is getting power the same way no aux mode so i decided sat im taking this to the camaro, transam, mustang, corvette shop im tire of it all cables hook up and no CD changer.

    now i got 2 different head units and 2 different CD changers and still nothing.

    i hate having a bunch of CD's up front so i got to get it fix.

  6. #26
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by WetSpot View Post
    come on coooome on guys....you like it just cause its there.
    Actually I had to go out of my way to install them in both 4th gens

    Thats 24 CD's to try and remember where songs are,,,hahaha

    My son does it flawlessly. Guess I'm getting old.

  7. #27
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by victor111262 View Post
    change the head unit cable are working CD changer is getting power the same way no aux mode so i decided sat im taking this to the camaro, transam, mustang, corvette shop im tire of it all cables hook up and no CD changer.

    now i got 2 different head units and 2 different CD changers and still nothing.

    i hate having a bunch of CD's up front so i got to get it fix.
    Hmmm,,I'm a little confused at what you are saying. If you checked the plug at the changer end and found power on the red wire,,,you will have power there even if the smaller plug is not in the back of the head unit. I believe that red wire gets it's power from the main plug of the head unit because I had the same issue.

    I had power to the changer on just 1 wire,,,even though the changer harness was not plugged into the head unit. Kinda strange,,,but I got the same symptoms I think you are trying to describe. Once I plugged in the smaller harness on the head unit the changer worked fine.

    It's all plug and play. All 4th gens are equipped with the harness hiding in the car.

    Sounds like it's time to start checking each individual wire in the harness with an OHM meter,,,from the head unit plug to the changer plug. Sounds as though one of them have lost contact, either smashed or broken somewhere along the harness??? Maybe a fuse???

  8. #28
    Markeyse Jamar Mundy M-ManLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sylmar, California, United Sta
    Posts
    209

    Gray
    2000 Camaro GT Street V6

    Where does the Factory CD Changer mount anyway? Pics would be nice to show.

  9. #29
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Well I can't post pics on here so describing is best I can do.

    The factory equipped cars had a small bracket that is spot welded to the trunk floor.

    On a convertable it's on the passenger side just up on the first step so to speak from the very bottom of the trunk. It's somewhat out in the way so we have to be carefull loading things in the trunk.

    On a T-top car it's also mounted on that same pedastal but it goes a little further back under the quarter panel and is more out of the way. There is actually more room in the T-top car and we don't have to worry so much about stuff in the trunk on this one. There is actually some room behind the changer on a T-top car to stick small items. I keep the CD cases in a bag back there along with an umbrella and a windshield dash shade.

    The factory floor bracket is still available through GM and cost me around $10. Although they are originally spot welded in, you could use a 2 part epoxy like JB weld if you don't want to burn off the factory paint with a welder.

    If you shoot me your email I can send you a pic of the CD position in the trunk on both of our 4th gens, and it will show the differences on a vert and T-top.

  10. #30
    Member Speed_kills_WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Age
    37
    Posts
    403

    Black
    2002 TA WS6 M6

    Anyone know where you can get the trays for the changer? I have the 12 disc changer, but only 8 trays!

  11. #31
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed_kills_WS6 View Post
    Anyone know where you can get the trays for the changer? I have the 12 disc changer, but only 8 trays!
    You can get them from GM last time I checked. Unfortunately you can't buy one at a time. You buy the whole cartridge that comes with the trays and the price was around $65.00 when I checked about 6 months ago.

    I ended up buying one but for all I know they could be discontinued by now knowing the way GM works.

  12. #32
    Markeyse Jamar Mundy M-ManLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sylmar, California, United Sta
    Posts
    209

    Gray
    2000 Camaro GT Street V6

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well I can't post pics on here so describing is best I can do.

    The factory equipped cars had a small bracket that is spot welded to the trunk floor.

    On a convertable it's on the passenger side just up on the first step so to speak from the very bottom of the trunk. It's somewhat out in the way so we have to be carefull loading things in the trunk.

    On a T-top car it's also mounted on that same pedastal but it goes a little further back under the quarter panel and is more out of the way. There is actually more room in the T-top car and we don't have to worry so much about stuff in the trunk on this one. There is actually some room behind the changer on a T-top car to stick small items. I keep the CD cases in a bag back there along with an umbrella and a windshield dash shade.

    The factory floor bracket is still available through GM and cost me around $10. Although they are originally spot welded in, you could use a 2 part epoxy like JB weld if you don't want to burn off the factory paint with a welder.

    If you shoot me your email I can send you a pic of the CD position in the trunk on both of our 4th gens, and it will show the differences on a vert and T-top.
    Ok. Just deciding where to drill my aftermarket changer at. I will PM you right now.

  13. #33
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by M-ManLA View Post
    Ok. Just deciding where to drill my aftermarket changer at. I will PM you right now.
    Got it. Sent ya some pics. Let me know if you need something more detailed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale: FS: 12 disc CD changer
    By Never-Enough in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2016, 03:04 PM
  2. For Sale: 12 disc cd changer.......
    By clg82 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 04:12 PM
  3. FS - GM 12 disc changer (New in Box)
    By aslowgxp in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-20-2007, 07:59 PM
  4. 12 disc changer help
    By Eagle in forum Stereo and Electronics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-22-2007, 10:17 AM
  5. 12 disc changer
    By redrumta in forum Stereo and Electronics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-13-2006, 06:11 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •