Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Delco subwoofer speaker is blown

Hey Guys,

One of my Delco "Monsoon" subwoofer speakers is blown. Any recommendations for a replacement? The sound system is all original Delco. I don't even know what size the speaker is or what I should be looking for spec-wise. I am not looking to spend a lot of money on this. Just something that sounds decent. In fact, if I could find another Delco subwoofer at a decent price, that would be fine as well. Thanks very much for information you can share.
    Last edited by mraya; 07-08-2014 at 12:22 PM.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

If you want to try and find a used stock Monsoon speaker, your best bet is ebay. But you never know how much life is left, if any If you want a good replacement, Kee Audio is your best source for the Monsoon system speakers and are a direct fit.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I believe it is a 2 ohm unit. I would go aftermarket. Bring it to your local stereo store and match it up. These speakers are out of production and even an NOS unit will be questionable because of dry rot. Go with JL of something of similar quality and ohms.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

red
    99 formula

Rockauto had my Monsoon single speaker replacement for a pretty fair price. I think it took longer to get it out of the box than to install it. The date code on the speaker was a couple of years ago, but warehouse storage is not that hard on parts.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    I believe it is a 2 ohm unit. I would go aftermarket. Bring it to your local stereo store and match it up. These speakers are out of production and even an NOS unit will be questionable because of dry rot. Go with JL of something of similar quality and ohms.
    I agree with Keith. Go aftermarket. Replace the pair.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Thanks, Guys. Much appreciated.

What do you think of this? Seems like a good price? Can buy it directly from Amazon for $48 and free shipping.

This is the exact same speaker as the original, right? If so, I guess AC Delco still produces this speaker? I would have thought that AC Delco would have stopped making this speaker by now, but I guess I'm wrong?

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-936579...productDetails
    Last edited by mraya; 07-08-2014 at 05:16 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It does not specify the Monsoon system would be my only concern. Does the P/N match what you have?

Here is where I purchased my replacement speakers from: Speakers

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Thanks!!

Black
    2007 CTS-V

I've used your exact situation as an excuse to eviscerate my sound system and completely redo it. But I'm an audiophile and a moron who likes taking things apart I cant put back together.

But seriously, I'm interested with what you went with and how it turned out.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

I have not yet replaced the speakers but when I do, I will post on here what I did. By the way, I was told that these speakers are a good and inexpensive replacement. Click here: Bazooka Subwoofers
    Last edited by mraya; 07-31-2014 at 09:10 PM.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Here is another site where you can by the same AC Delco replacement subwoofer: GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts

Just type in Part Number: 9365799

Amazon.com has it as well.

Black
    2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by mraya View Post
    I have not yet replaced the speakers but when I do, I will post on here what I did. By the way, I was told that these speakers are a good and inexpensive replacement: Bazooka Subwoofers
    Interesting you mentioned Bazooka - I don't have any experience with their stand alone subs, but I did get a 10" powered bass tube for my trunk, hooked it to a new aftermarket head unit and removed the stock sub so air can pass freely into the trunk from the rear dash and it ROCKS. Completely blew away my expectations away for what a bass tube can do so yes, I'd highly recommend Bazooka products based on my experience with them.

What I'm not familiar with is how you would go about sealing the compartment behind the stock sub enclosure with an aftermarket one. In all of my f bodies my friends and I made custom boxes that fit just behind the rear seat on the back deck and angled them so the back of the box was snug with the rear hatch when it closed. We lost some storage space directly behind the seat but didn't have to secure the box and had room for 2 12s (which, BTW, is completely overkill, but at 20 years old we didn't care).

If I were do to it again I'd probably go with a stealth box in the cd changer space and get an infinity 10" back there and replace the stock bose amp with something a little more beefier.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Badillac View Post
    Interesting you mentioned Bazooka - I don't have any experience with their stand alone subs, but I did get a 10" powered bass tube for my trunk, hooked it to a new aftermarket head unit and removed the stock sub so air can pass freely into the trunk from the rear dash and it ROCKS. Completely blew away my expectations away for what a bass tube can do so yes, I'd highly recommend Bazooka products based on my experience with them.

What I'm not familiar with is how you would go about sealing the compartment behind the stock sub enclosure with an aftermarket one. In all of my f bodies my friends and I made custom boxes that fit just behind the rear seat on the back deck and angled them so the back of the box was snug with the rear hatch when it closed. We lost some storage space directly behind the seat but didn't have to secure the box and had room for 2 12s (which, BTW, is completely overkill, but at 20 years old we didn't care).

If I were do to it again I'd probably go with a stealth box in the cd changer space and get an infinity 10" back there and replace the stock bose amp with something a little more beefier.
    I've always used stealth boxes and have zero complaints or reservations about them...cannot beat them for the bang or the buck in my opinion. Last one I had was an MTX 10 hooked up to a 1000w Kenwood amp. Think it was like 750rms or something like that...when people were in my car they thought I had multiple subs but it was just a little ole 10. The hatch amplifies the sound from the sub...its kind of like an enclosure in an enclosure back there. I usually always had the sub turned way down unless I was out to make a point or somebody really wanted to hear it...it hit VERY hard for what it was, but the hatch helps the sound quite a bit.

I personally would stay away from the bazooka tube and do the stealth box...i'd put any one of my stealth boxes and subs up against a bazooka any day of the week and blow them away.

+1 for ripping the monsoon system out at some point and putting a new system in...monsoon was high quality stuff when it came out, but you can do a lot better without spending a whole lot of money these days.

You also dont loose any trunk space with the stealth box...the bazooka is a different story.
    Last edited by theorangeguy; 07-31-2014 at 12:17 PM.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

On a different note: Anyone have a Monsoon system where the CD Player is giving you an E20 read error? Aside from replacing the unit, do you know of any quick fixes? The first time I sprayed purified air in there, the CD player worked perfectly fine immediately thereafter. I thought all was good. But then, the next time I used the car (and every time after that), the CD player gave the same read error again. I have sprayed more air in there but still no luck.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by mraya View Post
    On a different note: Anyone have a Monsoon system where the CD Player is giving you an E20 read error? Aside from replacing the unit, do you know of any quick fixes? The first time I sprayed purified air in there, the CD player worked perfectly fine immediately thereafter. I thought all was good. But then, the next time I used the car (and every time after that), the CD player gave the same read error again. I have sprayed more air in there but still no luck.
    thats a focus error so something is going on with the reader...could finally be going out on you. Have you popped a cleaner disk in it to see if that helps or not?

You will more than likely need a new CD player...so replacing the system is looking more and more attractive for your situation lol
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

yeah I tried putting a lens cleaner disc in there but since the CD player won't even read the disc, it's futile.

Yeah, I hear you about replacing the whole system. Today, I just discovered that one of the 4" speakers in the rear of the car is blown. Now, I gotta search for replacement for that.

Black
    2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    I've always used stealth boxes and have zero complaints or reservations about them...cannot beat them for the bang or the buck in my opinion. Last one I had was an MTX 10 hooked up to a 1000w Kenwood amp. Think it was like 750rms or something like that...when people were in my car they thought I had multiple subs but it was just a little ole 10. The hatch amplifies the sound from the sub...its kind of like an enclosure in an enclosure back there. I usually always had the sub turned way down unless I was out to make a point or somebody really wanted to hear it...it hit VERY hard for what it was, but the hatch helps the sound quite a bit.

I personally would stay away from the bazooka tube and do the stealth box...i'd put any one of my stealth boxes and subs up against a bazooka any day of the week and blow them away.

+1 for ripping the monsoon system out at some point and putting a new system in...monsoon was high quality stuff when it came out, but you can do a lot better without spending a whole lot of money these days.

You also dont loose any trunk space with the stealth box...the bazooka is a different story.
    I think he was referring to the bazooka component subs in the link he posted, to fit in the stock sub space and not necessarily the tube. I wouldn't recommend a bass tube in an f body for space reasons, but in my v it sounds fantastic. I did a lot of research on what my options were when deciding what to put in my car and I chose the bazooka because the user reviews were very positive and it was considerably less than the same sized sub, box, and amp. It is much bigger than I anticipated, however, though the trunk is big enough that this isn't really an issue. It was a pain to secure it properly and keep it from rolling around and if I hang onto the car for awhile I'd consider replacing it with a regular sub, though it'd he so I get ml ore of the trunk back. I really can't complain about the sound, it's rockin.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I ran a set of Bazookas in an Eagle Talon many years ago after my Kicker Solobaric sub grenaded. They hit hard and had a nice tight sound without taking up a lot of real estate.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I ran a set of Bazookas in an Eagle Talon many years ago after my Kicker Solobaric sub grenaded. They hit hard and had a nice tight sound without taking up a lot of real estate.
    I would think a Kicker Solo sub would blow a bazooka out of the water...huge power and air displacement difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Badillac View Post
    I think he was referring to the bazooka component subs in the link he posted, to fit in the stock sub space and not necessarily the tube. I wouldn't recommend a bass tube in an f body for space reasons, but in my v it sounds fantastic. I did a lot of research on what my options were when deciding what to put in my car and I chose the bazooka because the user reviews were very positive and it was considerably less than the same sized sub, box, and amp. It is much bigger than I anticipated, however, though the trunk is big enough that this isn't really an issue. It was a pain to secure it properly and keep it from rolling around and if I hang onto the car for awhile I'd consider replacing it with a regular sub, though it'd he so I get ml ore of the trunk back. I really can't complain about the sound, it's rockin.
    whoops

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I believe it was an 8" Kicker running off a 180 watt Kenwood amp -- it just never had the volume or hit of the Bazookas imo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information