Silver
    98 WS6

Custom sub question

I've been wanting to install a system in my 98 t/a, but i don't want to lose the space for my ttops. Since I also want to remove my backseats becuase they are basically useless and I don't like having bunch of people in my car anyways, I was thinking I could custom make a sub box that would take the place of my back seats. I'm just wondering if anyone has done a system like this before and has pictures of it. Or if anyone has some good advice before I undertake the project. Maybe even an idea for a good setup, im thinking something like 2 12s.

White
    94 Firebird

i got the same question i got firebird wit t-tops jus got it last week and am tryin to figure out how im gonna switch over my 12" sub.. i mite jus put the box in the backseat but the appearence wont be so great u should make a custom box or order one if u dont have time but lots of $$ lol and just put the tops in the backseat makes more sense so u have the seat if u need em u kno...

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

The back seat is a bad place to mount subs in an F-Body. A lot of people have tried this and have been disappointed with the results. There seems to be an acoustic null there that results in poor sub bass performance. The best place in our cars for subs is in the rear of the car. I mounted my amps and CD changer on the rear wall of my car with a pair of custom SubThump Stealthbox type enclosures for the subwoofers.

You can see more photos of my setup and how to make an amp rack of your own by clicking my sig below. The design is for my '99 Trans Am. You'll have to make some changes for it to work in a Camaro. If you don't think you can handle the project yourself Steve at SubThump makes an amp rack that is based on my design for Camaros.
    Last edited by White Rascal; 03-10-2006 at 01:21 AM.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

AnToN
    check this out. this is where is got my box. subthump. c o m i cant post urls yet it looks great and it slaps. i got the SS and bowtie on the top. the ttops fit great and they dont move or scratch. i put a towel in between though just in case

.subthump.com/acamarottop.htm

Black
    1995 Firebird

White Rascal is right with the back seat question. The best way to get sound is to take advantage of the rear window... the waves coming from the subwoofer need room to mature. There are different lengths needed to mature depending on the frequency. If you have a 15" sub and put your ear right next to it.. it may seem loud but it wont sound really good and seems distorted. But if you stand away from it it sounds better and louder. Also, JL Audio tested the FBody and found that the back window can add up to 5dB depending on the setup.... Here is my setup.. it has carpet on it now.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...485_8_full.jpg

It takes away T-Top space.. but I hit 136.4 with that little 8" and 250 Watts..

Silver
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by AnToN
    check this out. this is where is got my box. subthump. c o m i cant post urls yet it looks great and it slaps. i got the SS and bowtie on the top. the ttops fit great and they dont move or scratch. i put a towel in between though just in case

.subthump.com/acamarottop.htm
    Um rascal just posted that link to the site.

White
    99 Z28

You are definitly going to want the sub/subs in the rear, preferable facing toward the back as you will get more of a deep base sound. There is something about that hatchback rear window. With one quality 12" sub and a good box design you should be cranking out plenty of bass. My .02

silver
    02 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I have a custom box that sits in the back well with two 12inch kicker squares, have my amps mounted on the back deck and put my T-Tops in the back seat. You will never get a better sound in the backseat.

eddie

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

hey Rascal, so your luggage cover goes all the way to the back, and covers your amps? that's pretty sweet if that's how it works...

also, with the dual stealth setup... supposedly they can squeeze in 12s.. but how would those realistically sound? they seem so small that you would get bad low-end response...

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

The cover works just like the factory cover. But since I rarely have the tops in I hardly ever have it covering the amps and subs.

There's bearly enough room in a Stealthbox type enclosure for a 10" subwoofer. Stuffing a 12" in one is just too much of a compromise IMO.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

that's what I thought...

Thread Information