red
    02 ws6

will factory cd changer work with aftermarket head unit

i have a couple questions my car, 02 t/a has a factory cd changer, i beleive its pioneer. I was told at best buys i cant use this changer with an after maket head unit. any input? also what do you guys think of mtx box and sub and maybe running a 5 channel amp running componets up front and what ever size i can fit where the factory subs are in the sail panels? anybody do similiar? just trying to save room for the t tops thought one amp would be better.
    Last edited by fastws6; 11-12-2005 at 01:54 PM. Reason: more specific

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Since there is no industry standard for digital interface protocol you cannot mix and match HU's and changers. The factory changer may be made by Pioneer but it does not use a Pioneer interface. There are adapters that allow you to use an after-market changer with the factory HU but none that allow you to use the factory changer with an after-market HU.

I prefer a 3 speaker setup that consists of the door speakers and a subwoofer or two in back. If you do the install right you'll never miss the rear speakers. Click my sig below to see my car's setup. Even though I don't use rear speakers I always have people asking me what rear speakers I use when I demo the system for them. I don't buy into the argument that some have of needing rear speakers for the rear seat passengers. Having a speaker blast into your shoulder while sitting in back isn't my idea of quality music listening. IMO if you don't have a true surround sound system where you can add delay to the rear speakers there is no need to even have them.

Go to SubThump.com and check out the subwoofer enclosures Steve has to offer. Tell him the White Rascal sent you.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

red
    02 ws6

thanks for the info, and your car looks great. are the front componets 6.5 or6.75 also what if i use one amp mounted in the spare tire area, maybe a 4 channel and bridge two for the sub.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

The factory speakers are whats called over-sized 6-1/2" or 6-3/4" If you replace the door speakers I highly recommend making replacement baffles like I did. I tried using the factory baffles and ended up blowing one of my mid-woofers. The factory baffles caused the speaker to stick out too far. On loud mid-bass hits the cone was slamming into the door's trim panel. I made a set of my own baffles that lowered the speakers 1/4" deeper into the door. I also added a 4th screw to secure the baffles to the door better.

Thread Information