Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

Complete Monsoon Removal

Howdy all. I'm gutting out the Monsoon and sticking in a completely new setup (finally). I've got a Kenwood head unit, a 4-channel Alpine amp, and (4) 6.5" Kappas. I know, I know, it would sound better with a sub but I don't have the cash for the extra amp, amp rack, box and sub right now. I'm really just looking to upgrade from the stock junk, not win audiophile competitions anyways. I'm mounting the new amp where the stock 12 disc changer is/was.

My question is, other than just removing the stock speakers, head unit, amp and cd changer, is there anything else I need to remove/unwire to ensure that the Monsoon is 100% gone and not drawing any power to the amp or adding extra weight to the car.

I know I'm going to have to rewire the speakers and have already purchased some good 16 ga. insulated speaker wire. Did y'all remove the old speaker wire with the old speakers?

silver
    2002 z-28

might want to leave the speaker wire their in case yoy sell the car and want to put the car back to stock? just my opinion

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

Were is the stock amp located anyway?

Silver
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I recently replaced my entire system, and if you remove the amp (which is located by the spare tire), you shouldn't have to worry about anything. I recommend re-wiring your speakers, so all you should use from the stock deck wiring harness is the power wire, accessory wire, ground, dimmer, etc. Just use the deck speaker wires directly to the new wires that are going to the new speakers. Consider it done.

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

RCA cables will be the connection to the speakers via the amplifier. I wish there was more space under the front passenger seat for an amp.

Stupid catless cat hump.

Maroon
    95 Firebird

I figured I'd tap into this thread because up until I just learned that the stock monsoon amp is behind the spare tire, I thought I had a monsoon setup in my car ??

Maybe this qualifies for a new topic, or maybe it's a quick answer, but:

I just picked up a 95 firebird and would like to replace the stock HU. It's a tape deck and Im sorry but I dont have any of those anymore.. and the radio here sucks.

I have 6 speakers in my car (2 blown...which is a seperate issue) and figured the car has a monsoon stereo. However, no where on the HU does it indicate Monsoon (unlike my old 98 Z28 which did).
    Ok, I didn't notice an amp near the spare but now I'll double check.

If I dont have an amp is it possible this is NOT a monsoon stereo but still have 6 speakers?
    Personally I'd like to have the monsoon stereo, because I dont really care about much more and would like to have the car close to factory, and may be interested in picking up someones old stuff.

Thanks for the help!

Black
    2000 ss Camaro

here is a little advise to save you a lot of time. you dont have to rewire the car to install the amp. the only thing you would need to run other than rca's would be power and remote. the factory wiring in the car is perfectly adiquate. just xtend the speaker wire from the factory amp location to over by the changer or to where ever you are placing the amp. the factory wire is about 16 to 18 awg wich is more than enough to support the new amp.
    Last edited by jclm24v; 10-07-2006 at 08:32 PM.

Black
    2000 ss Camaro

here is another idea if your not looking to spend alot of money but want improved sound. you should take the amp and speakers back. keap your new radio and then purchace a sub and amp. you will be suprised at how good the monsoon sytem will sound just by replacing the radio and keeping the monsoon amp. the weekest link in all the monsoon or any factory set up is the radio . the radio is what is reading and decoding all the info that intern is sent to the amp. if you have t tops and are worried about space jl audio and mtx both make the single ten enclosures the mtx is even already amped so no worries on were the amp is going to go, its built into the box. dont get me wrong replacing everything is definantly the way to go but without a sub your going to get volume but no kick in the chest. think of it this way when you take out the factory sub that is in the mid section of the car and replace it with a mid and tweet you will just get mids and highs and no low end.
    not a serman just a thought. i have bin installing car audio for the past ten years and dont like to blow smoke and waste money if its not needed so hope this was some help and not an anoyance .
    Last edited by jclm24v; 10-07-2006 at 08:31 PM.

Maroon
    2000 Camaro Z28

I would leave the wires. Believe me. I did dumb move and decided I wanted to gut the old speaker wires. Biggest mistake I have ever done. Took me 2 days to finish the job. Everything was smooth until i got to the dashboard. I didnt know what to do. I accidently unplugged something and the speedometer went to 100. Took it to Circuit City and they told me all I should have done was run new wire from the new speakers to the 4 channel amp. I bought a new headunit with 3 preouts. I took 2 rcas from the hu and ran it to the amp. Everything is working perfectly now. That was hell, but im glad that its over with.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

i know this is over a year old....but if i were to remove all my monsoon stuff, or simply just bypass it by rewiring speakers for a aftermarket stereo, wont there still be power going to the monsoon amp, and out of the wires, possibly causing a short somewhere? or just tape off all the wire ends from the monsoon amp?

triple black
    02 z28 m6

if you remove your monsoon speakers can i get the passenger door one?

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

both my door speakers are shot. thus the reason to rewire, for nicer speakers

blue
    98 T/A LS-1

I have been doing little installs myself and never delt with the monsoon systems. If I have 6 speakers and no amp near the rear tire is it still a monsoon system? Or just a 6 speaker setup? I am in the middle of redoing mine aswell. I have a cheaper kenwood radio that will be replaced soon and the door speakers along with the middle speakers. I am thinking of deleting the rear speakers all together? Any thoughts on this?

Thread Information