Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

blue
    2002 Z-28

Cd changer wiring

Hi, I need some help locating a factory wiring harness for a gm 12 disc cd changer. If I am correct there is a harness that plugs into the back of the head unit, and then goes to the changer. I have the am/fm/cd monsoon system in a 2002 Z28. Called chevy and parts guy said the 12 disc was not an option, but I think he is full of it. I recall looking at the option codes and the 12 disc was available. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks Kevin.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Your car should already be wired with a changer control harness. The plug that connects to the changer should be located in the back on the driver's side of the car. It is part of the wiring that goes to the hatch area speaker on that side of the car. It should be a flat connector wrapped in foam.

blue
    2002 Z-28

Thanks, I will have to look and see if it is there, I appreciate the help.

black
    2000 Z28 (sold)

I dont think the changer will work with the in dash cd player. My car came with the in dash cassette and 12 disk changer, i recently put in a factory in dash cd player and my changer does not work anymore.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

About half way thru the '99 model year they started adding changer controls to the factory CD HU. What year car did your new CD HU come from?
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

black
    2000 Z28 (sold)

i think it was from an 02.

Black
    02 Z06

neh ... how do you tell then if your CD player is capiable of handling a CD changer. Because I was just about to buy a the stock cd changer for my car and I have a 99.

blue
    2002 Z-28

Just checked and there is a loom by the drivers side rear speaker. Does anyone know if the head unit is connected from the factory or do I need to plug the pig tail in? ( for the remote cd changer)

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

It's already hooked up to the HU. There is the main wiring harness, the antenna and then a flat connector with 6 or 7 wires coming from it that controls the changer.

blue
    2002 Z-28

Thanks for the help, just waiting for the changer to arrive, I guess it is pretty much plug and play. I couldn't imagine the dealer doing any more when they dealer installed the changers as options. Thanks

Black
    02 Z06

hmmm so I'll know if my CD player is capable of handling a cd changer if theres a connector in the rear hatch covered in foam? if not. I guess I'll just have to buy a later model monsoon head unit. It would just be a pain in the ass running the wire from the front to the back or getting a hold of one for that matter.

black
    2000 Z28 (sold)

i dont know why my changer doesnt work with my new head unit.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Quote Originally Posted by blky2kz
    i dont know why my changer doesnt work with my new head unit.
    I'm thinking it actually came out of an early '99 model. I know a few people with '99's that have CD HU's that dodn't control the changer. My '99 came with a CD HU that worked fine with a changer.

blue
    2002 Z-28

Just got my changer, was a plug and play! I also recieved the wiring for it. If there is anyone who needs a harness, I have one. Yours for the shipping, was cut but have the other end. Think its all there, My car was wired from the factory so I do not need it.

For most this is plug and play if you have a 2000+, however some people have had trouble wondering why the HU won't work with the Changer even though it supports it. You have to look inside at the board on the cd drive itself. If it has a e-8276-1A it will support the changer, without the A it won't. Here are pics

Black
    02 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason
    For most this is plug and play if you have a 2000+, however some people have had trouble wondering why the HU won't work with the Changer even though it supports it. You have to look inside at the board on the cd drive itself. If it has a e-8276-1A it will support the changer, without the A it won't. Here are pics

Look at you. So full of helpfulness and information! haha. That was actually helpful. I would just be afraid taking apart my HU.

if you've ever taken apart a computer to upgrade parts its no sweat, just don't loose the screws. I've got the monsoon acdelco repair manual and have fixed a few HUs myself or helped people figure out why its not working with the 12 disc.. just had that laying around from when I posted it on the train a month or two ago

Black
    2001 Z28

This is all very useful info. I have an 01 with factory cassette in dash and 12 disk rear, and got a factory CD HU. Changer did not work. Talked to several stereo shops to get more opinions and they all said there was no way to make it work. I was about to sell the HU, but I will double check that code on the inside first. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BradZ01
    This is all very useful info. I have an 01 with factory cassette in dash and 12 disk rear, and got a factory CD HU. Changer did not work. Talked to several stereo shops to get more opinions and they all said there was no way to make it work. I was about to sell the HU, but I will double check that code on the inside first. Thanks
    Those pictures are for the board on the Monsoon Cd Changer HU, not the cassette HU. The board is on the CD Drive itself, I haven't had the oppertunity to take one of those cassette decks apart. I don't know if it will be of any help for you, Sorry.

Just realized you got a factory cd changer HU. Oops, good luck with the board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information