Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2002 Firebird Convertible

CB or Amateur antenna install 2002 firebird

Greetings,

Has anyone put in a CB or Amateur radio in a 2002 Firebird convertible? Any suggestions per mounting an antenna since the trunk is plastic? Actually everything is plastic except the hood and the two rear quarter panels. These antennas are too big to mount on plastic, and usually need a metal ground (unless you install a half-wave or better). I've been looking for custom trunk lip mount, but it looks like I'll have to make one to clear the lid which is a lot wider than the trunk access.

Regards,
    George

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Seriously dude, don't do it. This ain't Smokey and the Bandit.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

What band are your using on amatuer radio. I use folding J-poles laying behind the back seat for 2 meter and 440. Both are half wave and don't require a ground plane. For CB I just use a midland HT.

http://www.midlandradio.com/comersus...idProduct=3108

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    Seriously dude, don't do it. This ain't Smokey and the Bandit.
    I just got power back. Cell phones/landlines were dead for almost a week and no power for over 2 weeks. CBs always work.

Pewter

Greetings,

I'm installing a Kenwood TM-741A 2M/440 amateur radio with a remote HU. I would like to use a Diamond NR-790A dual band, but this is a relatively heavy and tall antenna per a serious mount when at freeway speeds. Trying to mount it on plastic will not work.

I can make a folding mount for the trunk at great expense. This is one that mounts to the trunk edge, but extends enough to the outside to clear the trunk lid. It also folds down with the antenna installed into the trunk to totally hide all when needed. It will not be cheap.

Folding J-poles in the backseat? Got Pics? I'm interested.

Regards,
    George

Pewter

Greetings,

I'm installing a Kenwood Tm-741A 2m/440 remote HU Amateur radio. I would like to use a Diamond NR-770a antenna, but at 53" this is not lightweight especially at more than freeway speeds (it is a Firebird).

Still folding J-Poles in the backseat for 2m/440? I'm interested!

Regards,
    George

Pewter

Greetings,

Ah, yes the ice storm in Kentucky. I worked Amateur radio.

I'm installing a Kenwood 2 meter/440 Amateur mobile and would like to use a Diamond NR-790A, but at 55" this requires a serious metal mount. It would rip plastic up at freeway speeds.

Folded dipoles...hmm...maybe insert them into the convertible top. The only problem would be having to keep the top up to use them.

Regards,
    George

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    I just got power back. Cell phones/landlines were dead for almost a week and no power for over 2 weeks. CBs always work.
    true!

Pewter

Greetings,

Having a problem trying to reply to this thread (3rd attempt).

I'm installing a Kenwood 144/440 Amateur radio with a remote head and would like to use a Diamond NR-790A dual band antenna. However at 55" this antenna requires a serious metal mount and would break plastic at freeway speeds.

Seems the only way is to make a custom plate to bolt on the rear quarter panel next to the trunk edge. It would then extend out past the trunk lid. Actually I have a similar mount which was designed to fold over allowing the user to fold the antenna into the trunk (thereby hiding the antenna). Too bad it won't fit per the trunk lid is much wider than the trunk access.

Other ideas could be a small lightweight half wave antenna for each band which does nor require a ground plane. They could then be mounted on the trunk lid.

Through the glass antennas would only work on the front windshield below the sun visor, maybe, depending upon the metal particles used for tinting the front windshield. Glass antennas also do not do well at 50 watt transmit levels, and especially so close to the engine compartment and electrionics.

A folded wire dipole in the convertible top is an idea. Of course it wouldn't work too well with the top down. It would also be somewhat directional.

Replace the plastic trunk lid with a metal one! Now we have a valid ground plane suitable for antennas. I wonder if earlier year lids would fit.

That's a few ideas. Any one else come up with something that works on this plastic body cloth roof car?

Regards,
    George

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

George visit us at KYfbodies.org!

They are in your area!

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

If you mounted a backing plate to the inside of the trunk lid I would think that would make it stable enough to hold an antenna. Another idea would be to buy a hitch and bolt it to a ball adapter, then you could remove it easily if you wanted to.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Stock antenna location anyone?

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Just use your radio at home. This isn't the 70's.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

it's starting to feel like ground hog day in here

long and strong Willfully Armed's Avatar

Black
    01 WS6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by mdcrabbie View Post
    Just use your radio at home. This isn't the 70's.
    Kind of a douchebag thing to say, especially for a subject you are obviously poorly educated on.

To the OP, there is a Corvette club around here, and they all run CB's(gay), BUT they have Fab'd mounts that come out from under the rear bumper.

Heavy gauge welded steel, perfect ground, You could mount whatever antenna you like.

I run a Kenwood TM-241A though a Comet CSB-790A, in my truck.
    Im selling the truck and will install in the Camaro, so I will have to fab my mount. I also have a CB in my tuck, but never use it, cause the only people on it are diesel dummies and base station retards around here. At least on 2m, you have to get a Fcc liscense, and that typically weeds out the trash.
    Last edited by Willfully Armed; 02-12-2009 at 01:58 PM. Reason: typos

They do make a special bracket that goes on the inside of the rear Quarter panel the bends out over the top of the Quarter it looks a little like the FIRESTICK WSB widget swivel Bracket Mounts - or the SS-174 you might be able to work out better SS-64AGM mount or look at SS-274A if you need a radio to go in the car let me know I have a galaxy 99 and a ranger 2970 I will make you a GREAT DEAL send me a private PM for more info

Bright Metallic Blue A4
    1999 WS9

FWIW I have a handheld CB in mine. I have an antenna converter so I use my stock antenna that I control with a seperate switch. Typically I drive with it down because I get good reception in town. It's tuned to it with a SWR meter but it still cuts down on the range. Usable distance is probably 5 miles so ya gotta talk fast if they are moving away from you. Works good enough to stay in contact with friends on the trip and catch smokey reports from the truckers going in the other direction. Good for distraction when I want to turn the stereo off for awhile.

red
    2002 ss camaro build#4914

im ham ,but would not put in my camaro

why not ? I had a my quad band Yaesu in the TA everything worked out great

Black
    2001 WS6

I went to walmart and bought one of the cobra cb radios. It worked great in my old t/a, and they're awsome to have on long road trips..especially if you're lost or stuck in traffic. I'd recommend having one to everyone. I recently got one for the new trans am, yet I cant get any sound to it. I've tried hooking both wires to the battery, installing it correctly with ground and all, and yet no sound. turned the vol and squeltch up and down, changed channels, ....nothing. Anyone have any ideas? worked fine in the old t/a...same model and everything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information