Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Car speakers

This is a discussion on Car speakers within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 Well it's nice to know that the monsoon system is total crap... but what else should ...

  1. #21
    Rock-n-Roller White Rascal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    OHIO Go Buckeyes!
    Posts
    539

    Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    Well it's nice to know that the monsoon system is total crap... but what else should we expect from GM?
    Being that GM is a car manufacturer I'm sure that a high quality sound system isn't very high on their list of importance to their cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    Are you saying that if i keep everything stock except for the speakers, they'll get fucked up eventually because of the distortion of the head unit and shitty amp?
    After-market speakers might be able to handle a little more abuse than the factory speakers but in the end you'd probably wind up blowing the new speakers too. The best thing you can do to help protect the speakers would be to ease up on the volume control and/or back off the bass settings on the EQ a little.

  2. #22
    Rice Hungry GottaHaveLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Connecticut
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,316

    Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

    Quote Originally Posted by White Rascal View Post
    Being that GM is a car manufacturer I'm sure that a high quality sound system isn't very high on their list of importance to their cars.

    After-market speakers might be able to handle a little more abuse than the factory speakers but in the end you'd probably wind up blowing the new speakers too. The best thing you can do to help protect the speakers would be to ease up on the volume control and/or back off the bass settings on the EQ a little.
    I don't think GM has the word 'qualtiy' in their vocabulary, those cheap fucks.

    That really sucks, i dont want to buy new speakers so i can play the music softer.... My friend has a Bonneville (another GM POS) and i'm pretty sure he just has speakers for quite and while and they're fine. His car is a little older than mine i think.
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD, !AIR, !EGR, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

    Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT

  3. #23
    Rock-n-Roller White Rascal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    OHIO Go Buckeyes!
    Posts
    539

    Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    I don't think GM has the word 'qualtiy' in their vocabulary, those cheap fucks.

    That really sucks, i dont want to buy new speakers so i can play the music softer.... My friend has a Bonneville (another GM POS) and i'm pretty sure he just has speakers for quite and while and they're fine. His car is a little older than mine i think.
    That's why I've always had after-market stereoes in all my cars. High quality sound is much more important to me than keeping the stock look of the factory stereo.

  4. #24
    Rice Hungry GottaHaveLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Connecticut
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,316

    Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

    I happen to have an aftermarket stereo in my Passat that i'm getting rid of. Let me look up the specs and we'll see if it would be worth replacing the stock HU. I know its like 52 watts er somethin...

  5. #25
    Rock-n-Roller White Rascal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    OHIO Go Buckeyes!
    Posts
    539

    Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    I happen to have an aftermarket stereo in my Passat that i'm getting rid of. Let me look up the specs and we'll see if it would be worth replacing the stock HU. I know its like 52 watts er somethin...
    An after-market HU's onboard power amp isn't much of an upgrade from the factory HU. Your typical after-market HU can only deliver about 15W of clean power. That's why most manufacturers advertise their Maximum power figures instead of actual RMS power ratings. Since the car stereo industry doesn't have the same regulations in advertisement like home audio equipment does they can get away with some pretty sneaky advertising like that. A true RMS rating should say something like this...

    X amount of watts at X amount of distortion with both channels driven from 20 to 20kHz

    Most Max. power figures are only for a single frequency at usually 10% THD. Just about any amp can claim outrageous power ratings at a single frequency like that.

  6. #26
    Junior Member 99Ztwenty8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Age
    33
    Posts
    43

    Black/Black
    1999 Z28 M6 Vert

    i just put 100 watt rms hyfonics in mine and they sound decent....figured it was a safe play seeing as i only have a 50x4 head unit

  7. #27
    Senior Member MadSeason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,000
    1994 POS

    Quote Originally Posted by White Rascal View Post
    An after-market HU's onboard power amp isn't much of an upgrade from the factory HU. Your typical after-market HU can only deliver about 15W of clean power. That's why most manufacturers advertise their Maximum power figures instead of actual RMS power ratings. Since the car stereo industry doesn't have the same regulations in advertisement like home audio equipment does they can get away with some pretty sneaky advertising like that. A true RMS rating should say something like this...

    X amount of watts at X amount of distortion with both channels driven from 20 to 20kHz

    Most Max. power figures are only for a single frequency at usually 10% THD. Just about any amp can claim outrageous power ratings at a single frequency like that.
    +1 and also Infinity Kappa's get my vote

  8. #28
    trafficKING sobaka79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    mississippi
    Posts
    145

    black
    '99 T/A

    Quote Originally Posted by White Rascal View Post
    Just be sure you listen to them in person before you buy. MB Quart speakers are WAY too harsh sounding to my ears.
    thats bc you werent using enough watts

  9. #29
    Rock-n-Roller White Rascal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    OHIO Go Buckeyes!
    Posts
    539

    Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

    Quote Originally Posted by sobaka79 View Post
    thats bc you werent using enough watts
    Wrong! It's because they use hard dome tweeters and all hard dome tweeters (to these ears) sound harsh.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: Sail speakers and rear speakers
    By TJKIDD in forum Stereo and Electronics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-01-2011, 05:21 PM
  2. Question: Difference between car speakers and home speakers?
    By Kedwin in forum General Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-05-2010, 05:11 AM
  3. PC Speakers....
    By Mr. Luos in forum Computers / Gaming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-12-2009, 11:33 AM
  4. Speakers
    By axcellclan in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-16-2007, 05:58 AM
  5. What New speakers?
    By The Rookie in forum Stereo and Electronics
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 06-24-2006, 08:47 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •