Camaro Rear Defogger

This is a discussion on Camaro Rear Defogger within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; Thanks for reading, first time poster here. Anyway, I am having a strange problem with my defogger on my 2002 ...

2002 Camaro

Camaro Rear Defogger

Thanks for reading, first time poster here.

Anyway, I am having a strange problem with my defogger on my 2002 Camaro. When the button is pushed initially to turn it on, it will light up and work for about 10-15 seconds ONLY, then shut off. The rear window will actually start to defog within that time frame, so everything except the "timer" appears to be working.

If I push the button again, it will just make a mechanical "clicking" noise, and the defogger won't run again unless the car is turned off and back on (but again, only for 10-15 seconds).

Some have suggested that I have a problem with the relay, but I'm not even sure where the relay is for the defogger.

I tried purchasing a used Heating/AC control panel from an online site, and replaced the little circuit board that the defogger button is attached to, but it made NO difference, and it does the EXACT same thing. So, either the problem is elsewhere, or that used circuit board has the same problem as mine...?

Anyway, I am puzzled. I don't want to spend another Northeast winter without my defogger, so any help you guys can give me would be GREATLY appreciated!

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

The best fix for this is a DD.

But for practicality, I would pop the hood and check if there's a relay for it. I'm not sure if there is. Relay's are mechanical devices, and anything mechanical can fail.

I can't find a wiring diagram for the rear defogger, so I'm not sure what it uses as a timer, but that sounds like the issue.

I would also suggest scanning over the defogger lines, see if there's anything that looks out of place, burn marks and such.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

My 01 Camaro did the exact same thing when I first bought it 5-6yrs ago.. The dealer replaced the switch with a brand new one and it solved the problem..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

The DEFOG/SEATS circuit breaker is probably weak. See if the power seat won't work when the defogger quits to confirm it. Common issue even on the LT1 cars, some people replace it with a 30 AMP fuse but I'd replace it with what's in there. It's located in the main fuse panel inside the car.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

mine does a similar thing. i turn on the defogger and it turns on for a few seconds...then off...then on again...then off again...then on...then off...

what the bloody hell?!

2002 Camaro

2001NBMZ28 seems to be right on the money. After the defogger went out, I tried the power seat, and sure enough, it didn't work. So, I took a look at the circuit breaker (30amp 12v) in the fuse box, and it was VERY hot to the touch. I tried replacing it with a brand new circuit breaker, but it is doing the same thing. (i.e. the defogger will run for a short amount of time, overheat the circuit breaker, and click off).

Do you think I need to replace the whole switch panel on the console??

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

well it looks as though i'm gonna take a look at the breaker. turned my defogger on last nite and it blinked again so i tested it. while the light was on my seat worked. when the light was off (after the button was depressed and the defogger was activated) my seat did not work. so i'll try the circuit breaker and if that turns up without incident i'll try the dash switch.

2002 Camaro

**UPDATE**

Today I decided to try a "quick fix" for the rear defogger. I replaced the 30amp *circuit breaker* with a 30amp *FUSE* as some people suggested.

As a result, the defogger stayed on the entire 10 minutes, and then another 5 minutes when I turned it on, as it should.

As I said, this doesn't really solve the problem of WHY it is shorting out, but rather circumvents it. But, the end result is that my defogger now works, and it basically cost me nothing.

I'm not an electrical expert, but I would assume that if there was a major problem, the fuse would pop, and thus provide the same protection as a circuit breaker.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by iceblade10 View Post
    **UPDATE**

Today I decided to try a "quick fix" for the rear defogger. I replaced the 30amp *circuit breaker* with a 30amp *FUSE* as some people suggested.

As a result, the defogger stayed on the entire 10 minutes, and then another 5 minutes when I turned it on, as it should.

As I said, this doesn't really solve the problem of WHY it is shorting out, but rather circumvents it. But, the end result is that my defogger now works, and it basically cost me nothing.

I'm not an electrical expert, but I would assume that if there was a major problem, the fuse would pop, and thus provide the same protection as a circuit breaker.
    The circuit breaker could be more cost efficient than replacing fuses all the time.

So yes, they do work the same way, circuit prtection, so you should be alright as it may have been a faulty CB.

Thread Information