Blue
    2002 Z-28

Bypassing monsoon AMP???

Please help, I read in another thread this could be done by wiring two GM-88 adapters together and plugging then in place of the amp.

Well... There is only one wire harness going into my monsoon amp and its NOT a GM-88 ...

I would like to rewire it so that I can run the speakers off the aftermarket HU but not rewire the whole car. HELP!!!

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Honestly - why? The Monsoon amp does a decent job, and you will run into problems with filtered signals, etc. amongst other things depending on your setup.

What speakers do you want powered by the HU? If they are aftermarket 4 ohm speakers, you wont gain TOO much, and rewiring the doors isn't bad anyway. For the sails...they get between 55 and 75 wRMS a piece right now from your Monsoon amp -- your HU obviously wont match that. Plus the signal is filtered -- did you plan/do you have coaxials there?

Blue
    2002 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by fredmr85 View Post
    Honestly - why? The Monsoon amp does a decent job, and you will run into problems with filtered signals, etc. amongst other things depending on your setup.

What speakers do you want powered by the HU? If they are aftermarket 4 ohm speakers, you wont gain TOO much, and rewiring the doors isn't bad anyway. For the sails...they get between 55 and 75 wRMS a piece right now from your Monsoon amp -- your HU obviously wont match that. Plus the signal is filtered -- did you plan/do you have coaxials there?
    I want to remove the filtered signals...? the way it sits its a distorted/boosted signal. The monsoon amp is nothing more then a Distortion processor, thats why I want to remove it. 55-75 watts is not what they are getting. Id say more like a really poor quality 10-15 watts max. Seriously the head unit alone will put way more quality power to the speakers (alpine, and audiobahn). Trust me when I say the monsoon amp isnt just a bad option it isnt even an option. Must bypass the junk <--- monsoon amp

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Where is the Monsoon Amp actually located in the car??

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Where is the Monsoon Amp actually located in the car??
    Rear, in front of the spare tire behind a black plastic piece (kinda in the quarter panel well).

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 02bluez28 View Post
    I want to remove the filtered signals...? the way it sits its a distorted/boosted signal. The monsoon amp is nothing more then a Distortion processor, thats why I want to remove it. 55-75 watts is not what they are getting. Id say more like a really poor quality 10-15 watts max. Seriously the head unit alone will put way more quality power to the speakers (alpine, and audiobahn). Trust me when I say the monsoon amp isnt just a bad option it isnt even an option. Must bypass the junk <--- monsoon amp
    Definitely not -- though that is a common misconception. The distortion is almost entirely produced by the Delco HU and NOT the Monsoon amp. Sails cannot be powered off of HU -- they say 300 max for sails, so 150 per side....I assume betwee 50-75wRMS then. Go ahead, try powering a sail panel speaker with your HU -- and compare.

EDIT: Fronts, rears will receive almost equal power as they do with the Monsoon amp if powered by a 20-22wRMS HU. Go ahead and rewire the doors, not worth it for hatch though. Will the signal be less distorted for the doors? Not an audible difference...but probably technically yes since all amps produce SOME sort of distortion.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Rear, in front of the spare tire behind a black plastic piece (kinda in the quarter panel well).
    Okay thanks.

Red
    '99 Firebird Trans Am WS6

I'm not sure about the GM-88 adapters, but I rewired the whole thing myself, you just need a wiring diagram. Send me an email and I'll send you the ones I used. It's not terribly hard, just a lot of work, since there's 22 wires to rewire. About 5 dollars of wire connectors and an hour of work is all it took for me. Just in case you can't email through the forums my email is:

Nero.Jacinth@gmail.com

Good luck.

Blue
    2002 Z-28

Definitely not -- though that is a common misconception. The distortion is almost entirely produced by the Delco HU and NOT the Monsoon amp. Sails cannot be powered off of HU -- they say 300 max for sails, so 150 per side....I assume betwee 50-75wRMS then. Go ahead, try powering a sail panel speaker with your HU -- and compare.

EDIT: Fronts, rears will receive almost equal power as they do with the Monsoon amp if powered by a 20-22wRMS HU. Go ahead and rewire the doors, not worth it for hatch though. Will the signal be less distorted for the doors? Not an audible difference...but probably technically yes since all amps produce SOME sort of distortion.
    I found a wiring diagram for this purpose and did some testing tonight. Really is noticeably better sound and more power from just the HU. The only reason the subs wont sound good off the HU is because it needs a crossover or your running full range into them which will sound like crap. Im not concerned at all by this because Im Using a rockford amp with 100 real watts per channel.

My origanal question was not "should I" but rather, im "going to" and need to know the wiring. I have found the diagram I need, but now im wondering if there is a harness I could buy that fits the monsoon amp harness. this would be a great way for people to keep there stock speaker wiring and still run a little more power granted its under 100 watts or so given the 18 ga stock speaker wire. Just some thoughts. Anyone know of this harness?

Blue
    2002 Z-28

OK I figured it out! For anyone who wants to bypass the monsoon amp there is a harness that works. Its fits a buick and its a 32 pin gm harness. All you need is the wiring diagram and to wire the one harness so that all the speakers are connected to one another and plug it in. This way you can remove it later if you want to sell your car with the origanal stereo! WOO HOO!

Red
    '99 Firebird Trans Am WS6

Awesome job man! I'll have to check that out.

Thread Information