Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Bypass aftermarket headunit amplifier for best sound quality?

I tried searching for this, to no avail.

What I'm looking at doing, is getting the new bluetooth Premier headunit from Pionner (DEH-P980BT.)

Now, as a LAST RESORT, I would wire it up as the stock Monsoon headunit, but I want a better solution. I have heard rumors of a way of interfacing the RCA outputs of the headunit directly to the Monsoon headunit. This should eliminate much of the distortion that we experience with our systems.

The aftermarket headunit would still power the tweeters and anything else that is directly powered by the deck, but the monsoon amp inputs would be derived from RCAs.

A shop told me they could install my new deck like this, but would not go into the details, (they probably knew that if they told me, I wouldn't let them do it.) --- Or they were full of crap and were just going to wire it like stock on the cheap...

As far as I can tell, there are only two options:

1) the monsoon system, (as rumored on the net,) accepts a SIX VOLT speaker-level input... which means if I could find an RCA output of 6 volts, then it would work just fine... but I don't know the differences in impedences and whatnot, and I have a feeling there would be nothing but problems

2) there is some way to convert RCAs to speaker-level inputs, with some sort of adapter... but then I wonder if there could be distortion still? (I doubt there would be very much, since the original distortion problem was because the internal Monsoon headunit amplifier just sucked... it's powerful enough for tweeters, and those 4" speakers, but not to ALSO give a clean signal to the Monsoon external amp.

also, can I somehow use the subwoofer RCA outputs to independently-control the stock subwoofers?? I wasn't sure if the monsoon amp only had stereo input, or if it had 4ch input...

I plan on, within the next year or so, ripping out the monsoon amp and speakers, but I'm upgrading one step at a time... the added benefit of the mp3 cd player/bluetooth etc and added sound clarity will be good enough for now... so before you tell me to scrap the whole system, don't worry, I am...

Thanks in advance,

Steve

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

I think I know what your asking, maybe not.. But, the monsoon amps inputs are speaker level, so even not using the amp on a aftermarket hu and running the output off the rca's shouldn't make that much of a difference. Plus, I am not sure how much the Monsoon amp needs to see for it to turn on. Is cheap to try though, buy a set of cheap rca's and wire them to the speaker wires on the harness. With my Kenwood hu it has a adjustment, so you can turn up or down your speaker level or rca output to match your system and it works great. I like the way the monsoon amp sounds now with all the speakers replaced with aftermarket and a Kenwood hu. The Pioneer has a very nice looking display. I have seen people on here say you can wire into the rca's instead of speaker level, but since I never did it, don't want to give bad advice.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 05-09-2006 at 04:00 PM.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

The POS Monsoon amp is of such poor quality and produces so much distortion I wouldn't even consider using it in a setup. Unless that setup is in a boat and you happen to need an anchor.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

Pewter
    2001 Z 28

Here is a link to what the wiring looks like at the amp hope this helps http://www.houston-f-body.org/tech/m.../AmpCamaro.htm I bypassed my monsoon amp and put a Alpine 9855 in a set on Infinity speakers up front and a set of Alpines in the rear works good so far one day I will get around to hooking up my sub and amp.
    Last edited by usnzulz; 05-10-2006 at 03:20 AM.
    You Snooze You Looze!!

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by usnzulz
    Here is a link to what the wiring looks like at the amp hope this helps http://www.houston-f-body.org/tech/m.../AmpCamaro.htm I bypassed my monsoon amp and put a Alpine 9855 in a set on Infinity speakers up front and a set of Alpines in the rear works good so far one day I will get around to hooking up my sub and amp.

when you say 'bypass,' do you mean that you aren't using the monsoon amp at all, which is what I would assume... because I'm sure the monsoon amp sounds better/is stronger than pretty much any aftermarket headunit's amplifier...

is there such thing as an RCA-to-speaker-level convertor?? What if you were installing a headunit in our cars with no internal amp?

also, do RCA outputs carry a similar signal (AC) as a speaker output? other than voltage, of course... I just wonder if I'm wasting my time, and should just wire it stock for a few months.... I have all the amps I need to wire up my car, I just need some green for all the replacement speakers I'll be needing... that's why I'm trying to squeeze by on the monsoon amp for now, but with as little distortion as possible...

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker
    is there such thing as an RCA-to-speaker-level convertor?? What if you were installing a headunit in our cars with no internal amp?
    Yes, it's called an amplifier.

also, do RCA outputs carry a similar signal (AC) as a speaker output? other than voltage, of course... I just wonder if I'm wasting my time, and should just wire it stock for a few months.... I have all the amps I need to wire up my car, I just need some green for all the replacement speakers I'll be needing... that's why I'm trying to squeeze by on the monsoon amp for now, but with as little distortion as possible...
    No, an HU's output is typically in the milli-volt range. An amp has an output of several volts depending on the voltage on it's power rails. An HU is a voltage source going into an amp's high impedance input where there is hardly any current flow. An amp is a current source. Yes, it increases voltage but it's purpose is to deliver the current going to the speakers which in comparison to the amp's input impedance is very low at just a few ohms. An amp typically has an input impedance of 100K ohms or higher.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

so basically my only solution is to use the POS amp and stock wiring harness until I rip it all out??

I could have sworn I saw someone on here do it via RCA...

I need to win the lottery

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

so basically my only solution is to use the POS amp and stock wiring harness until I rip it all out??

I could have sworn I saw someone on here do it via RCA...

I need to win the lottery
    If you win, don't forget the little people man... I can take your old system and just sell all the speakers outright to everyone since they blow so easy!

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

it would probably be smart to keep the monsoon system around somewhere, because if I sell the car, the value would be diminished big time being stereo-less...

Thread Information