2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Box volume and sub combo

I've been looking at the vinyl topped ttop well box on subthump.com and had plans to get two 10in JL W0v2 subs to put in. Now looking at the recommended volume on JL's site is 0.65 cu ft. The box from subthump says 1.1 cu ft each for a dual 10 box. Amp was going to be a 500w alpine. Not that the amp matters THAT much. Is this going to sound like complete shiza or will the additional volume in the box be a good thing?

black
    2002 ram air 6sp

u might get diff opinons but u should match the airspace the speaker needs to the box. the box is the most important factor next to the speaker. if you must have the box from subthump find subs more suitable for that air space you will be much more happy. keep in mind that box is sealed and with the speakers you quoted it will sound hollow and boomy will not carry

Anyone know of 10s I could find that require that much volume???? All I'm seeing of any JL sub besides the W7 is .6 - .7 cu ft recommended. Or I could just place another piece of MDF in the box to chop the volume nearly in half couldn't I?

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeMustang View Post
    I've been looking at the vinyl topped ttop well box on subthump.com and had plans to get two 10in JL W0v2 subs to put in. Now looking at the recommended volume on JL's site is 0.65 cu ft. The box from subthump says 1.1 cu ft each for a dual 10 box. Amp was going to be a 500w alpine. Not that the amp matters THAT much. Is this going to sound like complete shiza or will the additional volume in the box be a good thing?
    Is that the total box volume? It sounds like it to me, but something you can double check. The 500W amp seems alittle weak for the subs, but I dont know any of the numbers for the subs. I would def make sure you match the volume to the subs, as stormkarma mentioned, this is the most critical part of subwoofers.

Quote Originally Posted by stormkarma View Post
    u might get diff opinons but u should match the airspace the speaker needs to the box. the box is the most important factor next to the speaker. if you must have the box from subthump find subs more suitable for that air space you will be much more happy. keep in mind that box is sealed and with the speakers you quoted it will sound hollow and boomy will not carry
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeMustang View Post
    Anyone know of 10s I could find that require that much volume???? All I'm seeing of any JL sub besides the W7 is .6 - .7 cu ft recommended. Or I could just place another piece of MDF in the box to chop the volume nearly in half couldn't I?
    You can, you'll be wasting space and adding weight, but that does reduce the volume. The high power subs (wattage) require more volume and if the box is ported, it requires more space as well versus a sealed one.

black
    2002 ram air 6sp

Cool

not sure what u r looking for but i currently have a jl 10 w7 with a jl 500/1 pushing it in a sealed box. the box i am currently using is 1.4 feet. this speaker calls for 1.25 sealed or 1.5 ported. u can closely guess that the speaker itself takes up a cube which puts me at 1.3 cubes. this sounds very clear and crisp. i am very interested in the same box you are wanting. im gonna add another speaker and amp as soon as i get the cash but would like to get the subthump for the t tops

ps you can also figure on losing a tenth of a cube when porting
    good luck

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Almost all speakers have a operating range as well cmaybe if you contact jl you can find those numbers out.

Thanks guys. I'm going to call and see if that's total box volume cuz I mean that just seems awefully large to be selling them in quantity like they are. If so then I had no problem to begin with!

Thread Information