JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

Best amp for 12 Kicker L5 Solar baraks?

Best amp for 2 12" Kicker L5 Solar baraks?

I have an amp in there now running both but Im positive they have allot more in em.......i hear systems with allot less doing allot more lol

Anyone got any experience with this?

TSP Rumbler, LT's, TSP Tqr2, PRC 921 Springs, Comp Lifters, Chromoly 7.4" Pushrods, Titanium Retainers/Seats/Seals, ARP head bolts, BMR full Rear suspension

"I could break a bowling ball with a plastic hammer in a sandbox"

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Lightbulb

Is the enclosure sealed, or ported?

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

i think its ported

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Question

What amplifier are you currently running the subs with(brand,and model), and what is the load the subs are presenting to the amp.,1, 2, 4 ohm?
    Last edited by Blue28; 01-28-2009 at 10:36 AM.

Gray
    2000 Camaro GT Street V6

Make sure you get a Mono (Class-D) amp. What is the RMS on your subs?

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

RMS? i dont know.....
    I think its 1 ohm though....
    Ill find out that amp name later tonight for ya though

Gray
    2000 Camaro GT Street V6

RMS is Root Means Square. Pretty much in the audio world if means how much power an item can output or handle. So in your case you would be how much you subs can handle consistently. Usually there is a smaller number under the big number (which is the peak handling, which is how much power your sub can handle on a hard burst of music), which is usually the the RMS. Ohms is a measure of resistance that a product has. So if you have two 4 ohms sub connected to a Class-D amp, It will see it as a more powerful sub (or wired parallel) , and there will be less resistance. So naturally the amp will almost double the wattage to the subs. Note this does not work for type AB amps (which sees the load as wired in a series, which will raise the ohms and use less power on each unit). Yea tell me the amp then I will tell you.

Gray
    2000 Camaro GT Street V6

Hey Frankthetank looks like there is different models of this sub. is this is?:

http://www.kicker.com/solo-baric_L5

Also there says that there is a 2ohm and 4ohm model. Let me know which one you have.

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

yea those are them.....Im pretty sure their the 2ohm ones....I dont know how to check....would I have to pull em out?

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kicker-L5-Solo-B...3%3A1|294%3A50

Well its the same speaker but thats what mine looks like....it looks a little different

Gray
    2000 Camaro GT Street V6

["+" will stand for positive connector and "-" will stand for negative connector]

Ok so the one in your link is a 4 Ohm 10" model. But since you are sure it is two ohms I'll roll with that (Ratings should be on a sticker that is on the magnet of your sub).

Most likely you will definitely need a cutom box to fit those square subs. This might cost you some money unless you can do it yourself or have a buddy that owes you to do it for you.

Now here is where it will be tricky. You will have to decide how you will wire it. These things includes Dual Voice Coils (DVC) in them . Just think of those as two sets of vocal cords. Make sure you have a Class-D amp for this, as they will give you the best flexibility for connections than AB amps.

Now if you can get two amps that can see a 1Ohm load, then I would suggest you put coil 1+ and - to sub one + and -. Repeat with coil two to amp speaker two as well. So both Coils on the sub should be wired to both sub connections on the amp. Repeat this with the second amp and sub. This will make each amp see a "1Ohm" load. There it will produce more power. So if the amp can go 300w RMS on one 2Ohm speaker (Or in this case coil), the amp will see a 1Ohm load, and almost if not double the wattage to around 600w RMS. This is standard installation procedure.

If you want to wire them to just one amp, and the amp can go down to a 2Ohm load, then I would suggest you wire the voice coil on each sub in what is called "Series Wiring". Connect the positive on the amp sub 1 to coil 1+. Then connect coil 1- to the coil 2+. Lastly, connect coil 2- to amp sub 1-. This will allow the amp to see that particular sub as a 4Ohm load, instead of a 2Ohm (or 1Ohm if connecting both coils) load. Repeat the same with the second sub, and connect it to the amp sub 2. With two "4Ohm" loads, the amp will produce a 2Ohm load (4Ohm load Sub/2 Ohm load amp= 2Ohm load). This will also allow the amp to provide more power to the subs. So instead of outputting 300w RMS to one sub, the amp will provide 600w RMS for both subs. And since the amp is already wired in parallel internally, you should be good for installing both subs to one amp.

Now lastly, these are rare, but there is some 1/2Ohm amps out there, if you want to connect to one amp and have it see the subs as a 1Ohm load. This will allow you to wire both subs in parallel themselves, then connect it to the amp. The subs will each be seen as 1Ohm loads. How you do this is you want to connect each sub in a "parallel configuration". Start by connecting the amp sub 1+ to the coil 1+. Then connect the coil 1+ to coil 2+. Repeat with the negatives. Amp sub 1->Coil 1->Coil 2-. This will bring the sub down to a 1Ohm load. Now repeat for the second sub. This will now allow the amp to see both subs as a 1/2Ohm load (1Ohm load sub/ 1/2Ohm load amp= 1/2Ohm load).

Confusing, Yes. I didn't learn that overnite I can tell you, but the subs you have allow for that much flexibility because of the DVC. Note that 1Ohm and 1/2Ohm load amps can be pretty pricey. Around $700+ (unless you find a good one on eBay)I'll post up some links for some amps in the morning when I wake up. Let me know if you have any questions.

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

Damn thanx man

long and strong Willfully Armed's Avatar

Black
    01 WS6 (stock)

Find a Diamond Audio D3800.1, rated 800 watts at 1 ohm. I have that in my truck on two Diamond 12's in a sealed box, and its way too loud. Although 800 actual watts will be too much for those subs in a ported enclosure.

Gray
    2000 Camaro GT Street V6

any amp RMS that is more than the sub RMS is okay as long as you don't turn the volume on the amp all the way up.
    I'M BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!
    ... and now I need to save up for a new Camaro now

Quote Originally Posted by Willfully Armed View Post
    Find a Diamond Audio D3800.1, rated 800 watts at 1 ohm. I have that in my truck on two Diamond 12's in a sealed box, and its way too loud. Although 800 actual watts will be too much for those subs in a ported enclosure.
    they will take 800 fine
    they are rated at 750 each I am running 1200 to each of my 15's

Gray
    2000 Camaro GT Street V6

yea Wenn is right. It will handle just fine as long as you watch the volume of the amp. Most of the time you will barely push your amp or subs to 1/3% power.

long and strong Willfully Armed's Avatar

Black
    01 WS6 (stock)

NOw these 15's, are they ported, what kind of amp and whats the impedance?

I only say they wont handle 800 cause Ive cooked a set of L7 12's with that amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Willfully Armed View Post
    NOw these 15's, are they ported, what kind of amp and whats the impedance?

I only say they wont handle 800 cause Ive cooked a set of L7 12's with that amp.
    kicker 2500.1 does 2500 rms at 2ohms
    I have 2 15" l7 dual 2 ohm subs wired series parallel to read 2ohms at the amp

my box is 7.5 ft ported tuned to 35 hz and has 3 6" ports along the bottom

oh yeah did I mention this setup is in a s10 blazer
    I also do sound competitions around here and my new sound set up will have 2 mojo 4000 watt amps and 2 digital designs 9518g's in a 4th order bandpass

oh yeah also make sure your amp is set up correctly the gain should be matched to the cd player not cranked all the way up to do this right you need a digital multi meter

Thread Information