Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner System

I Love High-Explosives! TheChad1371's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Beginner System

Of course i still got the stock monsoon. I hooked my Kenwood 1600 up to the monsoon amp and mounted it on the top of the tankl. i got a small sealed box for the 12 to sit in the t-top slots. eventually i want to get another 12 and seal them in the corners of each side. but im a cheap bastard at the moment.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

that'll do it. I suggest replacing the stock "subs" with some full ranges, and wire them from the rear speakers-that way you're not over doing the bass and you get a much more crisp sound.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

i could do that. but i still got the stock stereo, i could always utilize the eq on it. the speakers in the back by the rear seats...blew those out anyways...

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by TheChad1371 View Post
    ...I hooked my Kenwood 1600 up to the monsoon amp....
    What do you mean by that?

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

well where the power and ground go into the stock amp, theres a spot where you can hook another wire set to use the wires already run to the bat and ground. you dont take any power away. you just eliminate running two diff wires for ground and power.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Are you using speaker-level inputs there or line-level from the factory HU?

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Anways...almost any aftermarket amp is going to draw more current then the factory Monsoon wiring can handle -- even smaller amps should at least be wired to the battery with 8 gauge. Any signal connections should be made at the HU where the signal is the most clear.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

yeah, i dunno if i would trust piggy-backing a power wire signal like that

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

Of course i still got the stock monsoon. I hooked my Kenwood 1600 up to the monsoon amp and mounted it on the top of the tankl. i got a small sealed box for the 12 to sit in the t-top slots. eventually i want to get another 12 and seal them in the corners of each side. but im a cheap bastard at the moment.
    I would not recommend wiring an amp that draws the much current on a factory wire. If it pulls to much it can melt the wire or blow a fuse more likely to melt that wire though.

On another note i saw you put the amp on the top in the rear hatch you didnt just shoot screws down into the metal. Your gas tank is right below it.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

i re-wired the factory wire from the stock amp. if you look closer at the amp pic, the power and ground are both 8 gage. ive had this set up for almost a month. inspected many times for arching wires and craziness, nothing. the amp is fastened with very small screws...not touching the tank.

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

as long as the 8 gauge goes to the battery up front you'll be fine. enjoy the system
    JETBLAK

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

yea, i was going to just put the 8 gage to the monsoon amp to new amp...but didnt think it was very safe. when the rain stops here ill take a pic of the wire going to the monsoon amp, and also connecting to the bat.

Even Bandit Is Jealous mpunklil's Avatar

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

you might have actually pulled a few more watts out of that monsoon p.o.s. w/ the larger gauge wire...but dont get your hopes up. That memphis is a nice sub, but you are totally starving it for airspace! What do you do w/ your t-tops when you take em off?

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

i know man...but the stereo places here near base rib marines off, just cause they know we dont like to drive far for shit we can get right here. but ilay them in the back seat with a towel between the two so they dont rub together. a sacrifice i will deal with till i get me a box built to fit into the space in the t top section. or i might get another 12 and mount them on either sides in the corners, and still be able to use my t top slots. kinda like that other guy did, i forgot who made the post with the pics...

Even Bandit Is Jealous mpunklil's Avatar

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

i know man...but the stereo places here near base rib marines off, just cause they know we dont like to drive far for shit we can get right here. but ilay them in the back seat with a towel between the two so they dont rub together. a sacrifice i will deal with till i get me a box built to fit into the space in the t top section. or i might get another 12 and mount them on either sides in the corners, and still be able to use my t top slots. kinda like that other guy did, i forgot who made the post with the pics...
    put your box on top of the amp, fuck it. Its not gonna overheat unless you didnt run that 8 gauge like you said you did...and like I read in a different post that you didnt

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

im confussed...i did run the 8 gage. power from bat to monsoon amp; then to kenwwod amp. also 8 gage ground from ground under the spare tire plastic to monsoon amp, then from the stock amp to kenwood amp...but the hatch wont close with the box sitting on top where the amp is. tried it.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

everything is all stock in the stereo system with the exception of the wireing. the new amp and sub.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

im confussed...i did run the 8 gage. power from bat to monsoon amp; then to kenwwod amp. also 8 gage ground from ground under the spare tire plastic to monsoon amp, then from the stock amp to kenwood amp...but the hatch wont close with the box sitting on top where the amp is. tried it.
    huh?? What does wiring have to do with your hatch closing? And why didn't you run the 8 ga to the new amp only?

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

sub thump makes a cool box for t tops. and you can use 2 12's.. probably for the same price you're gonna find for a crappy one around the base.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by mpunklil View Post
    put your box on top of the amp, fuck it. Its not gonna overheat unless you didnt run that 8 gauge like you said you did...and like I read in a different post that you didnt
    fred, thats why i said that about the box not fitting there. and as far as why i didnt just run the wire directly to the new amp? it seemed like a good idea, it works for me, so no need to complain for this guy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information