Battery issue

This is a discussion on Battery issue within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; New alternator, new red cap optima, new starter..at an idle the charging gauge indicates like 9 volts and as the ...

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM

Battery issue

New alternator, new red cap optima, new starter..at an idle the charging gauge indicates like 9 volts and as the rpm's increase the meter goes to about 13 when it should run at 13-14..I dont have many electronics on the car besides a single 12, a double din, and HID's in the heads and fogs..Its just very agrivating becuase at 9 volts the fogs begin to flicker..im thinking there is a short somewhere when the accessories turn on and have tried to track it with no success..any advice to find the source?? and advice or help is greatly appreciated.!

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Try shutting of each aftermarket device to see if the voltage picks up.

New alt or new re-manufactured alt?

Lastly, the optima is a waste of money.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Go back over your connections and check for any corrosion or possible breakage. How are you checking your voltage, with the dash gauge or a DVOM? If you increase the rpm, does the voltage also increase? Unfortunately, new parts do not always work -- been there done that too many times with junk parts and it is frustrating.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

like people have said check all of your connections again.... i have personally seen brand new and reman alts. being bad straight out of the box it is uncommon but iv seen it... about optimas they are not completely a waste of money but i got mine for dirt cheap and know many people who have them also... being a red top it is a must that you get your voltage problem fixed draining a red top to much will kill it in no time, only the yellow and blue top optimas can handle being drained... also take a volt meter to your battery terminals to make sure your volt gauge(in your car) is reading correctly.

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM

Remanufactured alternator, lifetime warranty! Yes im going just by the voltage meter in the vehicle, due to the fact that when it goes low components start to get weak such as the lights, radio etc. so I know its pretty accurate.. also the voltage does increase as the rpm's increase and runs about 14volts at 1500 rpm..but at a 900 rpm idle it has been substantially low...ive pulled fuses and all aftermarket accessories and have not seen a chane in the voltage but will work on it further this weekend..what I did notice though and dont bash the inexperienced but I do have an underdrive pulley kit on the car..and when I flip the a/c switch is when the car lugs down like 3 whole volts..i never noticed it because usually the a/c stays on at all times even if it is low but with it off it charges perfect..they were on the car when i bought it, and have read nothing but good reviews regarding the charging system..im thinking they could barely be keeping up with the alternator and when I flip the a/c on it overloads system and pulls the alternator down..correct?

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

your A/C will draw more power due to the extra load on the car but it should easily regain its power within a second... do you ever have to jump your car? a normal alt. should put out 13.5-15.5 in perfect working condition like you stated in your first post but if you never have to jump it then the alt is obviously doing something... im do not know much about underdrive pulleys but you may need to put an overdrive pulley on your alt. to regain speed for your charging system?
    Last edited by My00Z28; 10-18-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Formula LS6

Two months ago I got my car back on the road after installing an LS6. I left the AC parts off since I had a warped/ clogged AC condenser. I installed an ASP pulley on my car and I was concerned about a charging problem. It's a non problem for me. My Optima red top seems to be charging fine +13VDC (at idle). I'm still using my original alt. from my LS1 and I now have 129K on my car with 4K on the new engine. My original wet cell battery broke at the terminal and acid ate up some of the paint under the hood in the area around the antii-sway bar. I fixed the problem with POR-15 and an Optima red top. I'll swear by Optima batteries for that fact alone.
    You might have an alt. issue. Find out what rpm you have acceptable voltage charging your battery. It should show enough voltage at idle to charge your battery like mine does.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Check for corrosion at the starter.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Formula LS6

I went back through the posts and noticed that you said this condition only occurs when you turn the AC on. I missed that the first time. I would say everything is working like it's supposed to. The stock alt. doesn't run at sufficient rpms to pull the load of your electrical system when the AC is turned on because of the underdrive pulley. I bet mine would do the same thing if I had the AC connected. Maybe a custom alt. that will pull more amps at idle to power your AC. Turn the AC off when idling would be my only other suggestion.
    They have inductive ammeters you can use for testing. Check the amp draw with the AC on/off. I have an underdrive pulley on my '89 Chev K1500 EC. When I drive on rainy nights with my headlights, wipers and defroster and fog lights on I run in to the same condition. I just pull too many amps and I have to turn something off to keep the battery charging. Under normal conditions it works fine.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I do not recommend changing out parts until the actual problem is diagnosed. The A/C clutch is an electrical-mechanical device and there are probably some tests that can be done to determine if it is the issue. I would certainly not install a high output alternator and assume that it is going to automatically fix the problem.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I do not recommend changing out parts until the actual problem is diagnosed. The A/C clutch is an electrical-mechanical device and there are probably some tests that can be done to determine if it is the issue. I would certainly not install a high output alternator and assume that it is going to automatically fix the problem.
    I wouldn't install a H.O. alt but a overdrive pulley may be needed... op is alittle low on voltage... underdrive pulleys slow down other accessories up front and if the alt. isn't spinning fast enough u will see the issues the op is. And overdrive pulley will solve that issue allowing the alt. to turn normal to make up for the underdrive pulley..

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM

Thanks to all who have helped im currently still bs'ing with insurance over another issue then will get right to work on this..

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

since you have a system, i would suggest a capacitor, it helps. I have one.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by flybird View Post
    I second that.

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater:2723291
    Quote Originally Posted by flybird View Post
    I second that.
    You second that?

Thread Information