Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

Question basic a/m stereo wiring question...?

My new f body vert has aftermarket pioneer h/u, two r/f amps, and various add on modules for the h/u in the trunk....my question is this;
    I can see where they added a 1-2 gauge power main wire into the cockpit and then where does this go to next; head unit or amps? I plan to remove some of this and I am trying to figure out where to start.
    Also, where do most people run their aftermarket wiring in the fbodys, under the carpet along the trans tunnel, door sills, etc? Just wondering where to look for this bowel of spaghetti...
    Regards,
    Todd

#cajunhotrodder on instagram

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

where MOST run them is a good question...since most aren't on forums....they could run them under the car or on the roof for all I know.

most won't run them down the center (hard on our cars), but under the plastic kick panels that line the door area and up under the deash. -the power wires run from the battery to the amp(s), not to the HU. coming from the HU is RCA cable(s), and a remote wire usually run on the oposite side of the car than power wuires...in this case, probably the driver's side). If you cannot see the power wire after removing the 5 screws holding the plastic panels in, then reach in under -- if you have a hard time seeing or feeling them, they must have pushed them deep -- they will be in further depending on which side of the seatbelt bolt theyt ran it on -- it's preferred to go on the inner side since the panels will fit much cleaner after the install and you don't risk damaging your wires with screws. The sealbelt bolts in the floor can be removed easily......kinda. The hardest part is getting the palstic screw cap off (PULL hard and TURN) -- if you have a large torx kit, you can use one of those to get the bolts off -- if not and you need to remove the seatbelts -- let me know, I'll post pics of my method.

Bright Red

Knee deep...

Ok, I took the plunge, I have most of it out by now, it appears they ran all of the non power wires on the Rh side of the cabin and all of the major (2) power runs on the Lh side of the car. I have a little wire removal to go then I can start putting her back to stock (this week, who knows what next week will bring!) I consider myself an audio/video nut but for the life of me I hate this spaghetti...

BTW-Clarify for me: in the 3rd pic, on the left, the two "silver bullet" items are capacitors or...what is the correct name?
    And, they will shock the pi$$ out of you, yEs...!
    Last edited by 99'CajunFirehawk157; 06-28-2007 at 08:52 PM.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

capacitors (stiffening capacitors) -- hmm...strange they ran power down driver's side?? usually choose pass. side in our cars since firewall access is easiest there, and right next to the batt...

anyways -- to discharge the capacitor - disconnect it from the system (safe to do), now you will need to allow the current to flow from one terminal to the other. You can use either a test light or resistor to do this.

Some capacitors can produce a voltage -- so after the capacitor is discharged, connect the terminals with a wire to prevent this (don't discharge with JUST a wire tho..)

Not sure if I missed anything..

Bright Red

Thanks Fred, it is possible the power comes in the the rh side then goes to the left, the two mains I disconnected from the battery do go towards the rh side of the car around tyhe blower motor area close to the block.
    More fun tommorrow.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

no problem --

interesting....the most common place to tun power wires in our cars are the PCM grommet - http://shbox.com/fw/Firewall_wire_feed.html - they probably drilled their own holes if they aren't there

good luck with the removal, and post up pics/etc if you have any questions

Bright Red

Ok, thanks but not sure they would fit in that grommet? These are big runs, Rockford Fosgate RP1020r cable, whatever size that is? 4 gauge maybe?

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157 View Post
    Ok, thanks but not sure they would fit in that grommet? These are big runs, Rockford Fosgate RP1020r cable, whatever size that is? 4 gauge maybe?
    They would fit -- those are 4 awg I believe (according to a quick Google search) -- maybe not IN the grommet along with the other wires, but through the side (unless grommet rubber was widened) -- I have 8 awg and 4 awg running through mine and know there is still room left over.

Bright Red

10/4, thanks.

Bright Red

Ok...

I got the factory radio back in, the rear speakers hooked up, the cd changer in, and the last few things I need to do is:
    1)remove the xm antenna which sits on top of my dash
    2)remove a center channel speaker from my middle a/c vent
    3)Remove and replace the door speakers

So for the items on the dash, to do that I suppose I need to remove the dash pad?
    Anyone have any tips or a "how to" to do this on a f~body car?

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

hmm...I guess just go at it -- you know how it's mounted? Center channel? sounds like it was a pretty serious setup... did he leave you a HU besides factory? -even though you may not like the look -- I would consider using it if you listen to music at moderate-high to high levels, as the distortion from the factory Delco unit will start blowing speakers pretty quickly then and may cost ya then.

Bright Red

Thread Information