Pewter Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM

Back up camera in trunk keyhole..

I have a pioneer avic-d3 7inch double-din screen and it has rca's for a back up camera..i never use my key for my trunk not even sure if i have one..the keyhole is about 1 inch in diameter so im wondering why i couldnt pop part of the lock assembly out and put a camera there ive already got the screen so it wouldnt be too drastic of a step and i do small body work and fabrication so im sure i can rig up a pretty bad ass set up...anyone ever seen/heard or even tried this!?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by claytonr View Post
    I have a pioneer avic-d3 7inch double-din screen and it has rca's for a back up camera..i never use my key for my trunk not even sure if i have one..the keyhole is about 1 inch in diameter so im wondering why i couldnt pop part of the lock assembly out and put a camera there ive already got the screen so it wouldnt be too drastic of a step and i do small body work and fabrication so im sure i can rig up a pretty bad ass set up...anyone ever seen/heard or even tried this!?
    The same key that opens your doors opens your hatch so you've prolly got a key for it already. I'm not sure how you'd get around the latch mechanism though. Even with the tumbler removed there will be a need to still use the latch to keep the hatch closed tightly. If you have an electric release I would'nt rely on it working forever. If it quits working how would you get into the hatch without a manual release of some sort? With that said I'm sure it can be done just have to figure out how to latch the hatch closed tightly so not to cause leaks elsewhere..
    Last edited by Smittro; 04-13-2010 at 06:40 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM

my thoughts are there is no reason it SHOULD ever fail (im not tapping into it anywhere so unless somthing unusual happens it shouldnt short..)and if it does i could crawl back and manually open it to fix it..i dont have a spare tire back there anyways so i have no 'extremely important' reason to get in it..i just went out and scoped it out and between the tumbler and the latch is like 4-5 inches connected with a short rod..it is the absolute perfect place for a camera? the camera is only 1x1x1 by the way.. this is just a thought anyways

White
    2008 Hummer H3

my thoughts are there is no reason it SHOULD ever fail (im not tapping into it anywhere so unless somthing unusual happens it shouldnt short..)and if it does i could crawl back and manually open it to fix it..i dont have a spare tire back there anyways so i have no 'extremely important' reason to get in it..i just went out and scoped it out and between the tumbler and the latch is like 4-5 inches connected with a short rod..it is the absolute perfect place for a camera? the camera is only 1x1x1 by the way.. this is just a thought anyways
    Go for it then..

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Just wondering, does the documentation that came with it give any preferred places to put it?

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

They do make a license plate frame that has the camera built in also.

Black
    2001 WS6

i put one in my corvette's third brake light, you could run your wires up through your wing and run it to the brake light in the wing...

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    i put one in my corvette's third brake light, you could run your wires up through your wing and run it to the brake light in the wing...
    That's a good idea.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I just turn my head, works great!

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I just turn my head, works great!
    Been doing that for years myself

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

I'm curious to see how this turns out- camera is an option on my radio as well and I wasn't sure where to mount it.

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM

cant see shit when i turn my head? especially at night..if youve ever backed up a car that has a camera its pretty handy especially since the screen is already in dash..not sure about the third brake light thing tho send me pics.. id probably just put it above the plate

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

I had one in my grand prix on the plate but at night the plate light would blind it I have a new set up that's going in my ta next week and the plate bracket has lights buil into it that will be next to the camera not above it all I have to do is wire my stock light to the plate bracket. As for the third brake light I would think you would notice the black box in the red lens. And when your backing up if you step on the brake you'll prob blind it out....IMO
    Last edited by 2000dreambird; 05-04-2010 at 05:21 AM.

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM

i have blacked out lights..but either way i dont like that idea it wouldnt turn out looking to good..there is room about the license plate i was checkin it out the other day..but i think for the time being im gonna stick with the old head turn..

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

i have blacked out lights..but either way i dont like that idea it wouldnt turn out looking to good..there is room about the license plate i was checkin it out the other day..but i think for the time being im gonna stick with the old head turn..
    It's a tried and true method

Thread Information