Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

arright guys, help me out on this one.

This is a discussion on arright guys, help me out on this one. within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; i dont have a stock head unit...

NBM
    98 trans am

i dont have a stock head unit

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by NvyBluMtlc02WS6 View Post
    be careful on what speakers you choose to put in the stock locations. the factory monsoon amp has a built in crossover. if you put full range speakers in the rear or front doors only certain signals are going to be processed. you should use a mid range or mid bass speaker up front and only a mid bass or woofer behind the seats.
    true, but there are many ways around that and not sure why you would recommend midbass for up front..................................

last of the breed... urstolendesire's Avatar

Red
    2002 Transam

well when you get a component set, it comes with separete mids and tweets. but if you were to run co-axils through the stock amp, you would only get mids anyway...

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by urstolendesire View Post
    well when you get a component set, it comes with separete mids and tweets. but if you were to run co-axils through the stock amp, you would only get mids anyway...
    Does that make sense? How would you get a full signal for components and not coaxials? The tweeter is the only signal filtered, for Camaros at the amp, for Pontiacs in line at the tweeter. The midrange "component" receives a full signal.

4 options with coaxials:

run just midrange signal (less power)

modify the coaxial to run both (damage new speaker)

power from aftermarket HU it 4ohms (efficient)

amp them (best option)

NBM
    98 trans am

so any suggestions on what type of deck and speakers i should get?

Monterey Maroon Metallic
    2002 Camaro Z28

The problem with running aftermarket speakers off the monsoon amp is the ohms. most aftermarket coaxials or components are 4 ohm's. The monsoon amp puts out 3 ohm's. I just went through this whole problem. had the monsoon system and it just sounded like crap to me. aftermarket kenwood hu kdcx-789 polk audio db6500's in the doors and the rear sides. i used a 4" polk audio component set in the rear also, just cause i had them laying around. theres really no use for the speakers in the rear. you want more front fill then rear fill anyway. I also rewired the entire sound system with 12 gauge speaker wire because i knew id be running an amp soon and wanted a clearer signal to the speakers. to the person who wants to replace his headunit, keys to remember are if your going to be running an amp you need to see how many rcs preouts it has. what functions does it have that suit my needs? does it have a seperate sub control if your planning on using subs? Also kicker components are not very good. i had kicker components and they sounded like crap compared to most other sets out there. the reason being is they are basically coaxials that can have the tweeter mounted seperately.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 94whtta View Post
    The problem with running aftermarket speakers off the monsoon amp is the ohms. most aftermarket coaxials or components are 4 ohm's. The monsoon amp puts out 3 ohm's. I just went through this whole problem. ...[edited out]... I also rewired the entire sound system with 12 gauge speaker wire because i knew id be running an amp soon and wanted a clearer signal to the speakers.
    Replacing factory speakers with higher impedance aftermarket speakers causes no problems. Build quality is much better, and they are more efficient so you will notice no loss of sound due to impedance differences (90dB or higher is preferred).

Also, the Monsoon amp likes to "see" 2 ohm impedances.....not 3 ohms.

12ga is overkill

last of the breed... urstolendesire's Avatar

Red
    2002 Transam

indeed. The best option is becoming clearer and clearer. running a whole new 4 channel amp is almost essential if you want sound above 80-90 decibals... and ya the t-a tweets do have the inline capacitor in the doors to filter out the lows and the signal does come right from the HU. but this mids in the doors are only getting the mids signals. I.E. if you were to put coaxils in the front you would be wasting having the tweeters on them anyway sense it will only be getting the mid's signal. same with the back, at the amp the crossover only puts out the low signals (around 100 Hz) if you want to replace the back sail panel speakers which i'm not sure about a camaro but i know my t-a has the 4 plug connector for the "woofers". SO if you wanted get better sound, you obviously need a new amp, and jus forget about the "monsoon" trys at a good sound.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by urstolendesire View Post
    but this mids in the doors are only getting the mids signals. I.E. if you were to put coaxils in the front you would be wasting having the tweeters on them anyway sense it will only be getting the mid's signal. same with the back, at the amp the crossover only puts out the low signals (around 100 Hz) if you want to replace the back sail panel speakers which i'm not sure about a camaro but i know my t-a has the 4 plug connector for the "woofers". SO if you wanted get better sound, you obviously need a new amp, and jus forget about the "monsoon" trys at a good sound.
    The amp filters the signal for the mids on the TA? Are you sure about that (actually listened to a coax speaker with only the mids hooked to it) - or just assuming? I know for a fact on the Camaro the mids in the doors receive a full signal.

Yea sails on Pontiacs are DVC subs (4 ohms per VC) while Camaros have SVC 2 ohm subs there. Camaros have more options for replacement here -- the best option for Pontiacs due to being DVC are the eu700s IMO.

NBM
    98 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 94whtta View Post
    The problem with running aftermarket speakers off the monsoon amp is the ohms. most aftermarket coaxials or components are 4 ohm's. The monsoon amp puts out 3 ohm's. I just went through this whole problem. had the monsoon system and it just sounded like crap to me. aftermarket kenwood hu kdcx-789 polk audio db6500's in the doors and the rear sides. i used a 4" polk audio component set in the rear also, just cause i had them laying around. theres really no use for the speakers in the rear. you want more front fill then rear fill anyway. I also rewired the entire sound system with 12 gauge speaker wire because i knew id be running an amp soon and wanted a clearer signal to the speakers. to the person who wants to replace his headunit, keys to remember are if your going to be running an amp you need to see how many rcs preouts it has. what functions does it have that suit my needs? does it have a seperate sub control if your planning on using subs? Also kicker components are not very good. i had kicker components and they sounded like crap compared to most other sets out there. the reason being is they are basically coaxials that can have the tweeter mounted seperately.
    my God i am so lost...sorry

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by tigersport14 View Post
    Don't worry because most of it is irrelevant anyway. Let us know your goals/budget and we'll guide you. I thought you have an aftermarket HU anyway - you just want to upgrade that as well? You can make any speakers work, so don't worry about that so much.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

what size are the speakers in the front stock? i need to replace mine..their blown out. what should i replace them with?
    If you need a set of stock monsoon front channels, let me know. I've got a set that are in great shape that I just removed from my '02 TA.

NBM
    98 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    If you need a set of stock monsoon front channels, let me know. I've got a set that are in great shape that I just removed from my '02 TA.
    do they get blury when you turn them up loud? will they work with an aftermarket deck? and are they easy to install?

Pewter
    2002 WS6

The speakers are the stock Monsoon 6.5 speakers from the doors in my '02 WS6. They are not blown or damaged at all, so they should handle the volume just fine! The only reason I replaced them was to get more highs out of the system. PM me if you're interested.

NBM
    98 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by fredmr85 View Post
    Don't worry because most of it is irrelevant anyway. Let us know your goals/budget and we'll guide you. I thought you have an aftermarket HU anyway - you just want to upgrade that as well? You can make any speakers work, so don't worry about that so much.
    ahh thx man...well my budget is about 200-300 dollars, with a new deck and speakers. but my friend gets like 50% off at best buy cause he works there..so hes buying them for me and im paying him back

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

ahh thx man...well my budget is about 200-300 dollars, with a new deck and speakers. but my friend gets like 50% off at best buy cause he works there..so hes buying them for me and im paying him back
    Pioneer makes the best lower budget HUs, IMO. For the $200 range, it's going to be really hard to beat this HUs price/functions http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...H-P490iB+.html -- EXCELLENT if you have iPod as well since you don't need another $50 special adapter. That leaves you room for speakers now -- I think you just wanted front door speakers... Easiest replacement is just a coaxial mounted speaker, and then use only the existing wires for the woofer there. They give a full signal, though it is a little weak so I would recommend running new wires from the new head unit -- but you can always try just the existing woofer wires and then run new wires later if you are not satisfied with the results. Some good quality, budget speakers for front doors are Alpine SPS-170A http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+SPS-170A.html -- about $50 a pair from sonicelectronix.com, or the newer model is priced reasonably as well: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+SPS-17C2.html Those sets are pretty good choices due to good sensitivity ratings and good price/performance ratio.

NBM
    98 trans am

thanks for the help guys

Monterey Maroon Metallic
    2002 Camaro Z28

lol i just read that, i lost myself. sorry for the drunken reply. and 12 gauge is overkill if you have to go out and buy it specifically for that. i had almost 85% of a roll left from when i did the system in my blazer, only reason i used it in the TA. again sorry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information