anyone tried mounting a 4x6 plate in the hatch area?

This is a discussion on anyone tried mounting a 4x6 plate in the hatch area? within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; I have two Kappa 4x6 plates, and I was wondering if anyone had ever mounted them in place of the ...

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

anyone tried mounting a 4x6 plate in the hatch area?

I have two Kappa 4x6 plates, and I was wondering if anyone had ever mounted them in place of the hatch components?

I have my whole sound system from my 1990 Firebird, and I've got these plates, and some kick-ass DVC 6x9s... I'd love to put the 6x9s in the back but I KNOW they are too heavy... they weigh nearly 10 pounds a piece.

or should I just go with the CL-41s from cdt audio?

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Might as well use the 4x6 pates, I think you could fit some 5x7's easy in there..just take the speaker cover off and hold it up to it, should fit under there fine. Are you talking a Camaro or T/A?, the Camaro runs the far rears off the HU only, so unless you have a aftermarket HU they may be underpowered. Another way to make them sound better is to make a cage around the speaker and cover it with sound deadening, directs the sound out better, I used a couple clothes hangers and bent them and cover them with some light sound deadening. Made even the tiny 4 inch speakers sound better. I just seen on the post " Components" so I assume it is a T/A, I haven't looked at the wiring in a T/A, as long as it is a single input I don't see any reason they should not work, anything is better than the stock ones.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 03-23-2006 at 07:27 PM.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

well I'm talking complete aftermarket amps...

but I could have SWORN that madseason said that even the t/a's powered the hatch speakers off of the headunit...

I was under the impression, and so is the houston fbody page, that the t/a amp powered the 6 main woofers, while the hu powered only the 4 tweeters...

but anyhow, I was just wondering if it would even be worth the effort, or should I just get some nice 4" components... the CDT CL-41s come to mind.. that's about it...

the 4x6 plates have 1" tweets, and 4" woofers...

Silver
    98 Trans Am

TAs 4in and tweeter in the hatch come off the HU.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

I wish that Houston F-Body page would fix that error then... everyone here keeps sending people over to learn about monsoon... but it's inaccurate..

Silver
    98 Trans Am

It also says the front midbass speaker is 4ohm.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

I'm pretty sure it is...

I know that site is accurate on the dual 4ohm voice coils on the subs...

Silver
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by rotwiler
    The speakers in the F body are really a odd setup, 2 ohm sail panel subs, front door woofer runs off the monsoon amp at 2ohm and the tweeter is powered by the headunit and far rear speakers are also powered by the HU at 4ohm.
    Front 6.5 is 2ohm. Rotwiler answers alot of these question about the stock monsoon and he is usually right.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

no, the front 6.5s in TRANS AMs are 4 ohms... the camaros are 2 ohms... for some odd reason...

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker
    no, the front 6.5s in TRANS AMs are 4 ohms... the camaros are 2 ohms... for some odd reason...
    the front door setups are totally different, i.e. the seperate tweeters a t/a has that we don't have.

Silver
    98 Trans Am

2ohm

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

http://www.houston-f-body.org/tech/monsoon/Schem3.htm
    Shows 2 ohm on the sites schematics on page 3, can see it on the speakers in the picture, the person who described the Monsoon setup did it wrong.

The Camaro's front door speakers are a mix, 2ohm woofer that runs off the monsoon amp and 4 ohm tweeter that runs off the HU. The Camaro has spearate inputs on the speaker, so is the same setup as components, except the tweeter is mounted. The TA's have a 2 ohm woofer in the front doors and a seperate 4 ohm tweeter. If you mounted the tweeter on the speaker, it would be the same thing as the Camaro setup. The Monsoon amp is setup to work with 2 ohm loads. The sailpanel speakers in the camaro are 2ohm, woofer only running off the monsoon amp with no tweeter, there is no full range signal going to the sailpanel speakers. On the T/A is a dual 4ohm voice coil, which translates into a 2ohm load. the far rear speakers on the Camaro are 4inch full range speakers that run off the HU only. The Pontiac cars run a 4 inch woofer and seperate tweeter. Since I don't have a T/A,I can't be sure on the far rear where they get the power from. I have always seen they are powered off the HU though. One reason why people get better sound after adding a aftermarket HU, is the HU normally puts out a little more power than the stock one, since all the tweeters run off the HU, it makes it sound better and highs sound cleaner. The convertible cars are a different setup all together and I think are all 4ohm running off the HU.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 03-26-2006 at 02:46 PM.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

okay that makes sense... they chose to go to 2ohm to get more power out of the amps... I can see it...

someone needs to update the page... and it looks like the monsoon powers the hatch woofers too... but people on here say that they are powered by the hu... confusing...

Thread Information