Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RED
    2002 Z-28

anyone tried the infinity 62.9i??

so we ordered the infinity 62.7 but when the shipping info came through the email,it says that "your infinity 62.9i speakers have been shipped"?? i know we ordered the 62.7,the pic looks just like the ones on the site here.the all but look the same,but have some kind of crossover wired onto them,guess i could cut and splice if worse comes to worse.these are the upgrades to the 62.7 i guess

RED
    2002 Z-28

i did see the write up when i searched for 62.9i.i believe i can run just the woofer wires only from the monsoon to the attached x-over box and that should seperate the 2 frequencys at the speaker.i will try that 1st,ive that doesnt sound to bad im gonna leave it.it will be 100% better than what is there now.plus its my fiances car,she wont care if sound isnt absolute 100% anyway.if that doesnt work,i will splice the wires seperatly..

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by ddw350 View Post
    i did see the write up when i searched for 62.9i.i believe i can run just the woofer wires only from the monsoon to the attached x-over box and that should seperate the 2 frequencys at the speaker.i will try that 1st,ive that doesnt sound to bad im gonna leave it.it will be 100% better than what is there now.plus its my fiances car,she wont care if sound isnt absolute 100% anyway.if that doesnt work,i will splice the wires seperatly..

you'd want to run just the 2 tweeters bc the tweets are the ones that are full range. woofers are xovered in the factory amp.

RED
    2002 Z-28

oh..i would have done it wrong then,i get it..take the tweeter wires to the xover,then it will split them from there,and send them where they need to go..thanks..."richard" head!

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

I have the same problem.. i bought mine from Online car stero and dealercost audio.. both sent me 62.9i..

I made a theard about it..

I was told by the local speaker installer the 62.9i wont work bc it has that built in cross over box.. that black box on the end of the wire. And our cars need a high and low for the speaker. and a high and low for the tweater.

So if you get them working.. PLEASE tell me. I was also told if i cut the crossover box off, then i wont be able to soder the wires on correct since there would be 4 going onto 2.

If that makes sense.
    2002 Camaro SS A4 - SLP# 2951 l MS4 l LT's w/ORY l F.A.S.T 78 & TB l Borla l Cutout l CME l TCI 3500 l 3.23's l !emissions l !sway

Awaiting Activation

black
    98 Z-28

i have them and they are great along with the kappa 6x9 in the back , the only thing is in the back the speakers were orignally 5 1/4 so they had fitment issues with the 6x9 and had to ge creative but the 6 1/2 are components that fit the door well but i not sure about installation as i paid to have it done and it went to an after market headunit, crossover, and 4 channel amp. i take pictures today

Awaiting Activation

black
    98 Z-28

and they are only 100.00 bucks for 6 1/2 here in l.a. and 120 for 6x9 with components.

RED
    2002 Z-28

if richard head is correct,all we need to do is take the 2 wires that currently run the tweeters and use those 2 wires to connect to the black box on the 62.9's..evidently the woofer in the door is "pre crossed over" at the amp,so they will not give us any high range sounds.so if thats the case people are saying that the tweeter wires are still full range,hooking them up to the black box crossover should crossover the full range signal and send the highs to the tweeter and lower freq to the woofer,have you tried this yet Sarge? i dont know what it will sound like,but right now the front speakers havent worked since we got the car,so its worth a shot in my book...

RED
    2002 Z-28

now that im thinking bout it,i believe the front tweeters are powered by the head unit only,so if we use them to power the 62.9,im not sure how loud it will be since the front speakers use to run off the monsoon amp,i cant imagine it will be a "end of the world" difference though...maybe someone else can chime in on this..

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

They might not sound as loud but the monsoon amp took care of the woofer while the hu did the tweeter. I think they will sound fine. I have 6 1/2 components in my tahoe running off a stock hu and they sound fine. I haven't seen the speakers close up but you might be able to cut the crossover off and wire it how the older ones were.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

if richard head is correct,all we need to do is take the 2 wires that currently run the tweeters and use those 2 wires to connect to the black box on the 62.9's..evidently the woofer in the door is "pre crossed over" at the amp,so they will not give us any high range sounds.so if thats the case people are saying that the tweeter wires are still full range,hooking them up to the black box crossover should crossover the full range signal and send the highs to the tweeter and lower freq to the woofer,have you tried this yet Sarge? i dont know what it will sound like,but right now the front speakers havent worked since we got the car,so its worth a shot in my book...
    If u plug the tweeter wires into the built in cross over box on the speaker.. what about the ''speaker'' part wires.

RED
    2002 Z-28

im gonna tape them off...i will try the woofer wires into the x-over just to see what happens,then i will hoook the tweeter wires up to the x-over, and tape off the other 2 wires for the woofer,should be interesting,funny thing is my fiance wont have a clue,i'll just be hooking stuff up and experimanting,she will think im a pro and must know what im doing!

RED
    2002 Z-28

update...we got the 62.9 today,it would take some serious precision soldering and cutting to hook these up the old way like the 62.7 use to hook up,you can do it though,but they would be unreturnable at that poing.im gonna use the head unit power to power them. looks like a very nice speaker though,i think they will be fine off the head unit only

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

Tell me how it goes.. i still have the speakers.

ps. Do a right up!! ''so my newb self in speakers can do it!!''

RED
    2002 Z-28

ok sarge.. here we go..richard heads theory was incorrect..i did it like he initially said and hooked just the tweeter wires up from the old speaker to the black xover box hoping for a full range signal from the tweeters would xover and operate the 62.9 by the head unit power..didnt work,all i got was really high frequencies,absolutly no midrange at all,then i hooked just the woofer wires up from the old speakerto the black box,i got muffled midrange and no highs...so heres what i did...i took the woofer wires from the factory speaker and plugged them into the black xover box,givin me good bass and midrange.that was simple and easy,just cut the woofer wires from the factory speakers and strip the ends and plug it in..then the harder part.you MUST deface the speaker to do this..you will se the 2 tiny tweeter wires running from the infinitys side to the middle of the speaker,they are mostly covered by the paper cover on the rear that says infinity and other #s on it.i cut those 2 small wires about a 1/2 inch from where the black boxs wires all converge,then peeled back the label exposing abot 2 inches of the tweeter wires,i stripped them and soldered them to the factory tweeter wires using a 6 inch extra piece of wire,it does take a steady hand and decent soldering gun,it took about the 30 mins at the most.actually pretty easy overall,they sound great too,but are def non returnable,i figured if i ruined them,i used them for my farm truck or something..

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

Ok thanks. So since you got them working, is the sound 100% correct?

Ill check this out and see if i can do the same. I don't wanna kill these $80 speakers if i cant do it correct.

RED
    2002 Z-28

yea,they sound great,i imagine they sound the same as the 62.7,just different hookup.take your time and youll be fine

White/Tan and Green/Tan
    2001 SS 1995 3.4L

SOooooo I ordered some 62.7i from online and i recived 62.9i =( very fustrating. I have a feeling that this person is not gonna work with me on the exchange. The plan now is if i dont get a full refund that I will install these and do a full write up with pics to the best of my ability . I will keep everyone who is looking for help posted as soon as i get pics of everything (within 1 to 2 weeks).

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

ok sarge.. here we go..richard heads theory was incorrect..i did it like he initially said and hooked just the tweeter wires up from the old speaker to the black xover box hoping for a full range signal from the tweeters would xover and operate the 62.9 by the head unit power..didnt work,all i got was really high frequencies,absolutly no midrange at all,then i hooked just the woofer wires up from the old speakerto the black box,i got muffled midrange and no highs...so heres what i did...i took the woofer wires from the factory speaker and plugged them into the black xover box,givin me good bass and midrange.that was simple and easy,just cut the woofer wires from the factory speakers and strip the ends and plug it in..then the harder part.you MUST deface the speaker to do this..you will se the 2 tiny tweeter wires running from the infinitys side to the middle of the speaker,they are mostly covered by the paper cover on the rear that says infinity and other #s on it.i cut those 2 small wires about a 1/2 inch from where the black boxs wires all converge,then peeled back the label exposing abot 2 inches of the tweeter wires,i stripped them and soldered them to the factory tweeter wires using a 6 inch extra piece of wire,it does take a steady hand and decent soldering gun,it took about the 30 mins at the most.actually pretty easy overall,they sound great too,but are def non returnable,i figured if i ruined them,i used them for my farm truck or something..
    Do this Quietchaos.

SOM
    2002 SS

Just read your thread and I didnt find any for sale locally. i just searched onlinecarstereo and bought some :sad: i should have read your thread that they didnt have any. Sucks I emailed them hopefully they dont send me 62.9s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information