Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Anyone else have a Kenwood Music Keg?

I got one for christmas with the extra controler and have no idea how to run everything and set it up in the car. I know its pretty out dated since you can just hook up a Ipod now but i really would like to use it because of the person that gave it to me.

Thanks ahead of time!

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Check kenwood's site and see if they have a manual. Do you have a kenwood headunit?

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 95camaroZNC View Post
    I got one for christmas with the extra controler and have no idea how to run everything and set it up in the car. I know its pretty out dated since you can just hook up a Ipod now but i really would like to use it because of the person that gave it to me.

Thanks ahead of time!
    I was thinking the same thing when I read the title, lol.

As stated above, I think the kenwood HU might be a simple button you could push for this install. I can't remember, is there a little display that comes with it? It would be wired to the keg, but not attached. Some pics of all of the stuff might help if the website doesn't, I would write them and e-mail.

Setting it up should be pretty simple, have you ever installed an aftermarket system before?

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Nope I never have. It came with the controler to hook up but the problem I'm curious about is a while ago I bought a wire that hooks into your ear phone jack in your phone and to the red and white on the back of the head unit. For some reason it only plays out of the back two speakers? What I'm worried about is hooking it all up and running into the same problem.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

If you have the extra controller they said you don't need a kenwood headunit is what I was told.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Nope I never have. It came with the controler to hook up but the problem I'm curious about is a while ago I bought a wire that hooks into your ear phone jack in your phone and to the red and white on the back of the head unit. For some reason it only plays out of the back two speakers? What I'm worried about is hooking it all up and running into the same problem.
    This is because those wires only feed your rear speakers.

It obviously needs to get hooked up differently. Can you post some pics of everything you have?

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Do you have a stock HU?

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Its a Sony xplode I can try and get pictures up tomorrow or later this week. Hard to post pictures from a blackberry

Red
    1999 Trans Am

I need a set of the red and white cables for the box.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Its a Sony xplode I can try and get pictures up tomorrow or later this week. Hard to post pictures from a blackberry
    Do you know how to remove the aftermarket cd player? If you do, you need to see if that given model has an input in the back. Or even in the front. This would make your life alot simpler. Also, there has to be some sort of output on/from the keg. I'm curious as to what kind of connection it is.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Yes it has 2 audio inputs in the back of it and the keg has 2 audio inputs as well as the kind of plugs you'd hook to a monitor is the only way I can think to put it.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Yes it has 2 audio inputs in the back of it and the keg has 2 audio inputs as well as the kind of plugs you'd hook to a monitor is the only way I can think to put it.
    Yup, this is what you need to get the audio from the keg to the HU. The red/ white wires are called RCA's, they're like something for a the audio for a TV/DVD/XBOX360/PS3 right? Are they on the keg it's self? If so, keep in mind where your going to be putting it, to ensure you get the poper amount of length.

Also

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Left 2 are ant in/out and power input right 2 are input and disp input. I was thinking of mounting it in the side shelf in the trunk to the left of where the t tops go. Just not sure how to tuck all the wire.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Wiring isn't hard. Make sure you run your audio down the opposite side you run the power (so it doesn't pick up inteference). It's all pulling apart panels, removing them, pulling back carpet. Then pullling, guiding, zip tying and tucking wires. Then reinstalling everything you took apart. I would make sure everything works before you run all of the wires though. Have you figured out what kind of hook up the audio is? Ever run power to device before?

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

The power wire is the most challenging wire you have to run. I would suggest running all new wires because I don't know if the wires provided are long enough to reatch your destination for the keg or what condtion the provided wires are in. The power wire thickness (measured typically in gauge), I will assume since I can't tell, should be around 12 to 14 gauge. Try to match the power wire thickness to the ones already being used, thicker than what you need never hurts, it's just more expensive. NEVER go thinner. I would simply purchase a whole roll of wire, I think they come in ranging length from 25ft to 50ft, you'll be better off with 50ft for future use. This wire will get run from the red/positive/+ terminal of your battery. The auto parts stores sell connections you'll need, I assume a ring connection will work with your terminals, but once again, buying a variety of these electrical connections is a good thing to have for future use. Within 6 inches of the terminal, you need something called an in-line fuse, comes in a variety, these you don't typically need too many of, so I would only get one for now. I would suggest getting a mini in-line fuse, because that should be the same kind of fuses in your fuse panel. Trace the outside of your engine bay, zip tying along the way, keeping the wire away from anything hot. Look for a rubber gromet that goes through your firewall I can't remember if it's on the driver's side or the passenger's, it may have electrical tape (which can be removed and replaced) and guide your wire through it with the rest of the wires that are already there. Which ever side in comes in through, guide it down that side of the car. Remove panels, running boards, what ever necessary to run it all the way back to the keg. I don't know which wire is constant power (could also be labeled batt. or + or simply power). This needs to be found out. Typically yellow is your constant power, but I have seen some cases where it's red.

I have to run off to work, I try to look up some info this weekend for you, if not at least get you pointed in the right direction.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Thanks a lot! You've been very helpful I'm probably going to try it in a week or two since ill have work off.

Thread Information