Any way to get rid of engine whine after installing amp on front speakers?

This is a discussion on Any way to get rid of engine whine after installing amp on front speakers? within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; I installed an aftermarket amp to my front speakers, now there is engine whine, you know the high pitched sound ...

Any way to get rid of engine whine after installing amp on front speakers?

I installed an aftermarket amp to my front speakers, now there is engine whine, you know the high pitched sound that goes up or down with the push of the pedal. Is there any way to get rid of this sound, is there some kind of aftermarket part made?

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Start by making a set of muting plugs. These are just RCA plugs that have the center pin shorted to the barrel. Remove the RCA cables going to your amp and replace them with the muting plugs. This will give your amp a zero volt input. Start your car and turn on the stereo. If you still have the alternator whine you'll need to find a different grounding point. If the noise is gone then the noise is entering your stereo upstream from the amp.

What kind of RCA cables are you using? Do they use "twisted pair" construction? If not you should replace them with ones that do. Shielding alone is not enough to prevent RFI (radio frequeny interference) from entering your system.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

IS THAT YOU IN MY MIRROR itsyasoldier's Avatar

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Try This First

The First thing you need to try is if you have the amp power wire next to your speakers wires that could be the cause. Try running the amp wire seperate from the other wires. It should fix your promblem.
    Pewter SS Camaro
    K@N FIPK System
    Flowmaster W/Cutout
    TNT 100HP Wet Shot

Red
    1999 Z28

Most likey a bad ground. One of the easiest fixes is to install a ground loop isolator between the haedunit and the amp.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Quote Originally Posted by maverick_132
    Most likey a bad ground. One of the easiest fixes is to install a ground loop isolator between the haedunit and the amp.
    Thats one way to go but I prefer to fix the problem over placing a band-aid on it.

Red
    1999 Z28

understandable....just putting out another option for those who dont know this stuff...

Hey maverick, i saw one of those ground loop isolators at walmart for like 10 bucks, it was a little box with 2 sets of RCA cables on each end, now do i use that in between the amp and my headunit?

Red
    1999 Z28

Yes, that's what you would do. Usually it takes the alternator wine out of the signal.

cool thanks

Black
    1998 Trans Am

make sure your getting a good ground...

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Why not actually FIX the problem instead of taking the easy way out by adding signal degrading devices into the signal path?

the reason is because i dont know how to fix the problem

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

It sounds like you haven't even tried. The first thing to do to trouble shoot the problem is to use the muting plugs that I mentioned earlier. The next thing to do is answer questions that were asked about your setup. Like what type RCA cables you used for instance.

Where did you run all of your wiring? Speaker wires, RCA cables, power cables, etc. Where is the amp grounded? Where is the HU grounded? What brand of HU and amp did you use? Any other details that might be useful?

I moved the speaker wires away from the battery wires. Ive got a JVC touchscreen HU and the amp is MTX. Both amps are running off of one ground if that could be the problem.
    O yea, i did buy a ground loop isolator, i plugged one side of the isolator directly into the amp and then plugged the RCA cable from HU into other side. That made the sound twice as loud, could it be because I plugged the ground loop isolator "directly" into the amp?

Red
    98 Z28

Sounds like a broken record, but fix the problem..... THe easy way out never ends up working. Simply by attaching noise filters you are already cutting out frequencies in your music that you would normally hear. My vote is on the HU ground....

where is the HU ground usually located? Do the installers find a new one or is there one already in place from the factory?

Just curious, are you running a 2-channel amp or a 4-channel?

2 channel

Thread Information