Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Antenna Replacement

Hey I bought my Trans Am this past April and the first thing I noticed was the antenna quality in this car was terrible. It goes up, but I have to push it down manually everytime I shut the car off. I doubt that would have any affect on the quality of the reception I get, but regardless its terrible. Does anyone have an replacement recommendations, obviously I could do a factory replacement, but i would like to do an internal antenna if they work prretty good and take the antenna off the car permanently....Any thoughts?

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

That works fine, you just have to fill the hole left from the antenna, or leave the factory one in in the down position.

Red
    99 Z28

you can take it out and they make plugs that you can paint the color of your car and just put a plug on it. I just took mine out and left the hole there, but its a race car so it wont see rain heck it will barely see the road.

blue
    1999 TransAm

it's easy to remove... if you think you might want to try to fix it, remove it and clean the telescopting mast w/ degreaser really good... it could be some corrosion and gunk that is preventing the operation... i did this to mine and it seemed to fix it, and i lubed w/ a silicone lube called jigaloo.

Black

Yeah honestly my biggest gripe is the reception the car gets, its the worst I have experienced in a car, so I dont think its worth trying to tune-up the existing antenna. Does anyone have any suggestions on replacement antennas that have good sound quality?

NBM
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 98BlackMambaWS6 View Post
    Yeah honestly my biggest gripe is the reception the car gets, its the worst I have experienced in a car, so I dont think its worth trying to tune-up the existing antenna. Does anyone have any suggestions on replacement antennas that have good sound quality?
    Get a BitViper antenna. It's a small 6" rubber antenna and it gives me the same reception as my stocker. I normally get Great reception with my Z28 maybe you have a Bad connection somewhere?

Black

Quote Originally Posted by Civic1 View Post
    Get a BitViper antenna. It's a small 6" rubber antenna and it gives me the same reception as my stocker. I normally get Great reception with my Z28 maybe you have a Bad connection somewhere?
    The BitViper looks awesome, but my car has the automatic antenna, I'm going to have to take mine apart and see if I can retrofit it to work with a BitViper otherwise I'll need to buy a factory one I guess.

NBM
    1998 Z28

NO Go to the Junk yard and get one from a Camaro and attach the BitViper to it. That is the easy way.

Thread Information