Amp runs fine @ 4 ohms but Clips at 2. Amp or Sub?

This is a discussion on Amp runs fine @ 4 ohms but Clips at 2. Amp or Sub? within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; Is the Sub faulty? I went to the stereo shoppe and he plugged in a 2 ohm sub and the ...

SOM
    2002 SS

Amp runs fine @ 4 ohms but Clips at 2. Amp or Sub?

Is the Sub faulty? I went to the stereo shoppe and he plugged in a 2 ohm sub and the amp pushed it fine. WHen I plug my 4 ohm DVC sub into just 1 terminal (8 ohms I think) it works fine. both terminals run the same. WHen I bridge it to run the amp @ 2 ohms using both coils the amp clips and resets.

Sub or faulty Amp ?

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Is the Sub faulty? I went to the stereo shoppe and he plugged in a 2 ohm sub and the amp pushed it fine. WHen I plug my 4 ohm DVC sub into just 1 terminal (8 ohms I think) it works fine. both terminals run the same. WHen I bridge it to run the amp @ 2 ohms using both coils the amp clips and resets.

Sub or faulty Amp ?
    you just don't have a matching sub/amp combo. You can look at the different ways to hook up the sub. Series,parallel. You need more info. WHat kind of sub? How many ohms? WHen you bridge the amp, you change that property. Honestly, I had the same problem with my kicker, and I changed how i wired it, problem gone. I have a dual voice coil. If yours is a single, you are gonna have to run unbridged, or replace one of the components. Sub, or amp, your choice. If it is a small enough amp, you could replace the amp, and use the one you already have to power some other speakers.

SOM
    2002 SS

Thanks for the reply. Amp is a kicker zx400.1 it's 200x2 @ 4ohm and 400x1 @ 2 ohm . all rms. Sub is a jbl dual voice coil 4 ohm 375 rms.

I have positive from amp to + on one coil and from there a wire to the other coils +. Same thing for - wire. I followed diagrams online.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

try splitting it seperately to each coil and dont bridge it.

SOM
    2002 SS

I might try that! What does that do ohm-wise etc ?

I have something to go on though! A local stereo shoppe was kind enough to check my sub out. The wiring was correct. He checked the ohms at the terminals and one read 4 but the other read 1. His conclusion was one if the 2 coils is bad.

I spoke to the guy who sold it to me. He claimed it worked when he had it and I turned up some info. He bought it use to. He has a 4 ohm amp and had only plugged in 1 voice coil. He doesn't know anything about dual voice coils or if his amp is 4 ohms.

So he offered me a ported box instead of giving me some cash back so I took it. Here's the wierd part. I took the jbl sub, that stinks of something burnt, screwed it into the box ( sub face is in a sealed area the rear is vented - bandpass?) and plugged my amp onto the one coil that did read 4 ohms. It actualy pounds incredibly hard. From what I read the amp is only pushing 200 watts rms to this sub to one coil but it still hits super hard. J haven't measured the box dimensions or anything. I'll put pics up soon as I get on my pc. The box is generally the size of the rear trunk.

Thread Information