Thread: Alarm Trouble

Red/Black
    1998 Z28 T-top 6spd

Angry Alarm Trouble

Hey everybody. I have saved for six years and just bought a 98 z28. Im a college student with no help from family as far as money for the car or for repairs. I just spent my wad on this ride. I am having some problems out of the alarm. I have had the car 4 days and the alarm never acted up. Now after i set the alarm with the key-less entry the horn quietly sounds twice as normal. then 3-5 seconds later the horn blows loudly twice as if the alarm were set off .The alarm wont go off anymore after that. Ive sat and listened for couple hours now. This also happens when i lock the doors from inside with button and close doors. alarm does not beep twice to activate, but still after 3-5 it blows loudly twice. i dont have money to fix so what can i do? I got into huge argument with neighbor about it last night. don't wanna battle neighbors if i don't have to. Thanks for any help.....chris

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6

did you get the original manual with the car? their are few methods in the book for setting the alarm in several different modes. the only thing I can think of is, does your interior lights dim down when you close the last door? also when you press the lock button on your drivers door and get out of the car, do the lights flash once? I think their are three or four types of settings for camaro and t/a's.

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

Not too sure about what your exact problem is, but try locking the car by hand (slide the lever back with your hand, not using the lock button) this should help because the car doesn't really know it's locked. I did this for my trans am when the keyless entry remote needed to be reprogrammed, because every time I unlocked the car with the key and opened the door I only had five seconds to stick the key in the ignition or else the alarm would go off. I figured out if I lock the car by hand that the next time I opened it with the key the alarm wouldn't go off after the five seconds. Try unlocking the car by only using the key, and locking it without using the power lock button. I hope this helps until the problem is solved.

Red/Black
    1998 Z28 T-top 6spd

Red face re

yeh i have the manual. tonight it actually got worse. it would beep once every few minutes and then it just went into full alarm mode. so tonight i read through the manual and b/c its getting late again. i just UN hooked the shock sensor. i believe that it may have gone bad. or the sensitivity on it needs to be adjusted. because now no problems and when i use the key-less entry it beeps twice and no more loud honking 3-5 sec. after wards. but i will to will have to try again tomorrow. ill do it at school. ha ha. thanks orion and ryan

Red/Black
    1998 Z28 T-top 6spd

oh yeh

i will get back to u on what the lights do and all tomorrow orion. thx

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan98WS6 View Post
    Not too sure about what your exact problem is, but try locking the car by hand (slide the lever back with your hand, not using the lock button) this should help because the car doesn't really know it's locked. I did this for my trans am when the keyless entry remote needed to be reprogrammed, because every time I unlocked the car with the key and opened the door I only had five seconds to stick the key in the ignition or else the alarm would go off. I figured out if I lock the car by hand that the next time I opened it with the key the alarm wouldn't go off after the five seconds. Try unlocking the car by only using the key, and locking it without using the power lock button. I hope this helps until the problem is solved.
    This doesn't sound too bad. I would try, if none of the above ideas have worked, pulling the battery, letting the system reset.

If you happened to buy it from a dealer, take it back and bitch.

Red/Black
    1998 Z28 T-top 6spd

i did pull the battery for an entire night after it kept beeping once every few min.
    then went into alarm mode..... i hooked it back up and then drove for a while and set alarm and after the two BEEP lock confirmation 3-5 sec later it would HONK twice and then it wouldn't do anything so i walked inside. and then honks maybe hour or two later couple times within a few min of each other, then full alarm mode sometime after that.

i just unhooked it and no problems....

I guess ill try and replace the shock sensor???
    Last edited by sharber; 01-20-2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: changed "each" to "each other"

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Yes replace the shock sensor. People have had problems with them. Usually the problem is the alarm goes off at random times for no reason. Since you disconnected it and the alarm was fine seems like you found your problem.

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

does the security light come on at all, and does your car not start sometimes? cause i had that problem and i had to get the ecm and or the pcm replaced cant remember witch exactly off the top of my head

Red/Black
    1998 Z28 T-top 6spd

exactly, alarm goes off for no reason.no problems starting or with a security light. but i did have a 95 that did have a security light problem had to sit and wait several times. but cool. i wasn't sure if u could replace the shock sensor or not. thx ron...

and for your insights godless-phoenix

Thread Information