Red
    1998 Z28

Alarm system messed up please help!

okay so my 98 z28 has a problem. every time you lock the doors and close it with the engine off the alarm goes off. i have heard that there is a recall on these year models. for the alarms but for now i just have the horn unplugged. but it's very annoying to lock my car and have 5000 people come up to me and tell me my alarms going off. i don't know, things like this bother me. anyway if someone can tell me how to disable it or get it fixed i would appricate it. honestly i think car alarms are jokes. if it would be cheaper to disable rather then fix (which i'm pretty sure it will be) i'll just do that like i said i hate them anyway

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

have you tried just turning the sensor waaaay down? pull off the rear panel that covers the spare tire, there on the fender is the sensor box. It has a knob on the side, just give that a shot

Red
    1998 Z28

thanks i'll go try that

Red
    1998 Z28

i took off the panel and saw the box but there isn't a knob on it.. atleast not that i saw

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

It's recessed, pull it off the fender and look around the sides, you'll need a small flathead screwdriver to turn it

Mine's not recessed, white plastic knob with tape over it (if no ones messed with it before) and was able to turn it (counterclockwise) to decrease sensitivity. If it still goes off right after arming the shock sensor is probably bad - disconnect the module completely and see if it stops.

i too have this problem and i disconnected the factory shock sensor no luck i do have a 'work-around' but i am hunting for a real solution. is there really a gm-recall for this??? can you send me a link or pdf i can post the 'work-around' if your interested but im hoping for a real fix. mine is a 1998 ws6 Question: is the bcm the same from 98 to 02 not to be confused with pcm
    Last edited by dxdenis02; 03-31-2006 at 05:26 PM.

Red
    1998 Z28

i don't know if there is a recall.. my dad was talking and he said something about a recall.. i'm going to the chevy store on monday to ask them. if not then i'll just have a professional fix it i know a guy in asheville.. does awesome work

can you please let me know the fix by posting here thanks so much

black
    2000 ss

yea mines does that to actually its pretty annoying

Red
    1998 Z28

yeah.. i don't think i'm gonna go to the chevy store. just unplugged it and problem solved. i don't care just and annoyance anyway. hey atleast i still get my insurance discount

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

you get an insurance discount from the factory alarm? weird

mine is set at default, and you must have the alarm arming sequence set up wrong.

mine doesn't even arm until all the doors are shut, and if you kick the car really hard, it honks twice... if someone hits you, it goes off like the panic button...

check your manual, maybe you need to re-program the alarm.

littleredbeast

Smile Alarm with a mind of its own

Insurance discount - yes, because it is considered an anti-theft device.

Problem & its root cause with the system? Hmmm, my 98 TA has the same system. Anti-theft does work. Been there, accidentally acrivated it & got really pissed off. System is designed to run about 30 mins. and then shuts the electrical system down. Long process of programming all onboard systems. Advanced, smart theives can override anything but a LoJack. Your typical theif wanting a joy ride without the correct key is soon kicking rocks down the road. Your car gets stolen in Jax, go searching the Ribault area (well known for stripping stolen cars - they love sports cars & custom trucks).

Problem: slam the door, alarm system gets stupid.
    1-Adjust control sensor.
    2-Check wiring & connections to BCM (body control module).
    DISABLE THE AIRBAG SRS SYSTEM BEFORE CONTINUING. BCM IS WIRED INTO THIS SYSTEM! REMOVE FUSE & WAIT AT LEAST 3-5 MINUTES FOR SYSTEM TO DE-ENERGIZE (IT HAS IT'S OWN BATTERY BACK-UP).
    3-Make sure all wiring from control sensor to the ignition switch is in good condition, not pinched or the insulation scraped off somewhere. Wire from ignition lock cylinder (where the key goes in) to the ignition switch sometimes gets pinched or the insulation gets scraped from tilting the wheel alot (both create a short circuit).
    Note: The tilt wheel dilemma (those who can't get in or out without moving the column or grabbing it to get in and out of the car) also causes the steering wheel to feel loose. Removing the airbag (after properly de-energizing the SRS system!) and tightening the mounting bolts usually solves this problem. Check wiring when doing this little bit of maintenance, saves headaches down the road with controls on the turn signal switch & steering wheel (radio, etc). & the alarm system becoming spastic.
    4-It is rare for the BCM and/or sensing unit to go bad, unless it has gotten wet or shorted out.
    5-I believe there is a relay in this system, which can cause the alarm to suddenly not work at all. Relay testing is done with an ohms & continuity ck.
    6-If the wire(s) from the lock cylinder to the ignition switch are repaired (sometimes works) or replaced, reprogram the system. Make sure your hands are clean (circuitry in the key fob is sensitive to oil & dirt), replace the battery & follow procedure for reprogramming.

Go to your local Generous Motors dealer. If you're really nice to the parts people, someone will be kind enough to give you the correct codes & procedure for reprogramming the system - they are the only ones with this information. Or at least send you to talk to the "electrical diagnostic tech". If they are rude jerks, don't get apprehensive, kill 'em with kindness. Try another GM dealer. Also ask for a schematic. Be sure to offer to pay for it, most will not charge you for this information. Take your VIN & options information with you (WS6, monsoon, etc.). You may have to wait or return for the schematics & other info, but it will be a lifesaver in finding out where the problem is in the alarm system and any future electrical frustrations.

Thread Information