Black
    98 Trans Am

98 TA Monsoon Sound problem? Any guesses?

Before I tear into anything I wanted to get some insight on what my problem might be with the stock stereo system in my Trans am.

My best description of the problem is that at random intervals, my speaker(s) sound as if its rattling or popping, sort of like a blown speaker. It always corrects itself usually after stopping or going etc. That points towards a loose connection or something but I want to make sure, and if its a common problem or a problem someone else has experienced before I try and rip every speaker in the car out and pull the radio and look for the stock amp etc. God forbid I do all that and dont end up fxing the problem =P

wish i could be more clear about it, one of those things thats tough to describe. Seems as if when it does it some of the sound in my front speakers becomes muffled as well. Could just be in my head though.

Any good guesses? =)

last of the breed... urstolendesire's Avatar

Red
    2002 Transam

off the bat, have you changed anything out from stock to aftermarket... the stock amp has problems playing on aftermarket speakers. as far as that goes, the speakers have a hard time running if you have an aftermarket head unit. the stock amp is in front of your spare tire more towards the front of the car. when you take off that panel to get to ur tire, there a lil black triangle lookin thing layin on its side with a blue connector goin into it, thats your stock amp. also where the stock shock sensor is for the alarm if you have that. it does sound like a loose wire somewhere, the speakers up in the front are just 6.5" monsoon speakers. goodluck running something new unless u wanna stay with gm speakers. which speakers go out? do some searches in the sound system section. this whole debate has come up quite a bit...

Black
    98 Trans Am

nothing has been changed. Its the completely stock stereo which is absolutely fine w/ me. The shock sensor is actually in the back under the same panel where the spare tire would be (back right side I believe)

I guess I'll takea alook at that first. The speakers that seem to fade when the rears start popping seem to be the front two or the front passenger one mostly.

thanks for the help thus far!

I Love High-Explosives! TheChad1371's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

the monsoon is a good system when working properly. but when speakers fail and get blown out, it actually limits us alot. my two speakers by the rear seats are both blown. i have an aftermarket amp running off the power and ground of the stock amp. but replacing stock monsoon speakers with aftermarket can be very tricky. keep it simple with that. take off all your plastic gaurds and check the wires there before you go ripping anything out just yet.

Even Bandit Is Jealous mpunklil's Avatar

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by klepp1214 View Post
    Before I tear into anything I wanted to get some insight on what my problem might be with the stock stereo system in my Trans am.

My best description of the problem is that at random intervals, my speaker(s) sound as if its rattling or popping, sort of like a blown speaker. It always corrects itself usually after stopping or going etc. That points towards a loose connection or something but I want to make sure, and if its a common problem or a problem someone else has experienced before I try and rip every speaker in the car out and pull the radio and look for the stock amp etc. God forbid I do all that and dont end up fxing the problem =P

wish i could be more clear about it, one of those things thats tough to describe. Seems as if when it does it some of the sound in my front speakers becomes muffled as well. Could just be in my head though.

Any good guesses? =)
    Do you have a tape player, or CD Player? If you have a tape player, do you have kids? It sounds like the source of your problem is actually your headunit. I say its your head unit, because you claimed the sound was muffled when it goes out. Your factory tweeters in the door SHOULD be powered by the headunit from what I have read. I havent personally verified this though. It could potentially be a bad connection behind your radio, but there is also the potential that "somebody's" kids put some change in your tape deck. Ive seen this "piggy bank" problem a million times and could potentially be the problem. Or not. Simply, you always want to start from the root, and work your way back. For example: Head Unit, then amp, then speakers.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by mpunklil View Post
    Your factory tweeters in the door SHOULD be powered by the headunit from what I have read. I havent personally verified this though.
    Correct -- that is the case on all Pontiac F-body Monsoon systems.

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

i think fred is chasing my replies

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by mpunklil View Post
    i think fred is chasing my replies
    Which other did I respond to?

I guess chasing is one reason -- or maybe its just because they are the only recent posts on this board (besides opinions) in days -- OR most likely, maybe I'm doing everything I can to avoid studying for my final tonight.

EDIT: nevermind -- the weight one I responded to

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by fredmr85 View Post
    OR most likely, maybe I'm doing everything I can to avoid studying for my final tonight.
    hahahahahaa

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

f*$k finals....

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

yeah im glad Im over all that crap

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

ill begettin back into all that crap, after i get out of the Marines.

Thread Information